Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla belatedly tries to make their connector a North American standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nge from them. Would be interesting if letting the standard go free ends up causing Tesla owners more confusion.

Would be nice to see ChargePoint come to the table with their version of NACS charger. They would certainly NOT support Tesla's CANbus protocol if all they were doing was putting NACS connectors on a CCS charger, so how would P&C work on those chargers for a Tesla? Is there just one CCS standard for P&C? Seems like I can plug in thru a CCS adapter at EVgo after registering my car with them and it will start charging w/o using a card or a phone app. Not true at ChargePoint or EA, so there must be more than one standard for automatic billing at CCS stations...
From the spec:
4.5.1 For DC charging, communication between the EV and EVSE shall be power line communication over the control pilot line as depicted in DIN 70121.
4.5.2 The North American Charging Standard is compatible with “plug and charge” as defined in ISO-15118

I'm looking forward to see what happens. It seems like Tesla said it before they were really ready. When we start seeing NACS cables on new NEVI chargers alongside CCS, then we'll know the strategy has been a complete success.

It matters not if NEVI chargers have them or not. We are probably still at least a year, or maybe two, before the first NEVI funded charger is installed. (That is correct, we will likely be in to the "third year" of NEVI funding before the first year of NEVI funding gets deployed.) So, we will likely see third-party chargers with NACS cables before the first NEVI charger is installed.

Well multiple CPOs have said that they have just been waiting for cables to be available. Third-party manufacturers had to design, build, and validate the connectors/cable assemblies. (While Tesla made NACS open, they aren't providing/selling cables and connectors themselves.) We have heard that the cables should be available early next year.

EVgo has been providing NACS via a CHAdeMO adapter for a long time, I would expect them to be one of the first to start offering NACS cables. FreeWire has said they will have NACS cables on some chargers by mid-2024. I think Out of Spec reported that some CPOs have told them they will start deploying NACS cables early next year.

This could be a little bit of a mess for third-party CPOs unless Tesla gets the CCS retrofit rolled out for the remaining models. (Which they probably have time to do.) But even then, not everyone will understand that they have to have a retrofit done before they can use NACS at non-Tesla charging locations.

Last edited:
One thing I haven't heard much talk about is non-Tesla Superchargers. Elon said that they would open the Tesla API for Ford so they could plug in and charge. But if Ford puts NACS chargers at a dealership are they Tesla Superchargers? Will they talk to Teslas via the CANbus standard for Plug&Charge? If not then Teslas that are NOT CCS ready will not be able to change from them. Would be interesting if letting the standard go free ends up causing Tesla owners more confusion.

I just covered that in my prior post:

This could be a little bit of a mess for third-party CPOs unless Tesla gets the CCS retrofit rolled out for the remaining models. (Which they probably have time to do.) But even then, not everyone will understand that they have to have a retrofit done before they can use NACS at non-Tesla charging locations.

so how would P&C work on those chargers for a Tesla?

It wouldn't, at least not currently. In your example Ford would likely just have CCS chargers, with a NACS cable, and you would have to use their app, or a compatible third-party app, to start/pay for charging. (Tesla does not currently support paying for third-party chargers, though that might come as they build out their API, especially if they decide to go for NEVI funding.)

Is there just one CCS standard for P&C?
Yes, there is only one Plug&Charge standard, and Tesla does not currently support it. (There are two versions of it, but that doesn't really matter.)

Seems like I can plug in thru a CCS adapter at EVgo after registering my car with them and it will start charging w/o using a card or a phone app.
EVgo hasn't implemented Plug&Charge, they have done their own thing which most call AutoCharge. It uses the MAC address from the CCS charge port ECU in the vehicle to identify the vehicle, which you have to link to your account in advance. But not every vehicle has a unique MAC address, for example Rivian is using the same MAC address for every vehicle, so EVgo can't support AutoCharge for Rivian, or other similar, vehicles. (This is not a standard. But I think at least one other CPO, in Europe, has done essentially the same thing as EVgo.)

Last edited:
From the spec:
4.5.1 For DC charging, communication between the EV and EVSE shall be power line communication over the control pilot line as depicted in DIN 70121.
4.5.2 The North American Charging Standard is compatible with “plug and charge” as defined in ISO-15118
So what was Elon talking about when he said they would open the Tesla API for Ford? Are they just going to use ISO-15118 for all 3P NACS P&C?

And who holds the credit card for ISO-15118? Manufacturer? Charge Network?

So what was Elon talking about when he said they would open the Tesla API for Ford? Are they just going to use ISO-15118 for all 3P NACS P&C?

And who holds the credit card for ISO-15118?
That is to use Tesla's Superchargers. Availability, charge cost, enabling, ...

NACS is just a connector (though they do specify DC charge protocol) it can support P&C; however, higher level implementation would be vendor specific.

Reactions: MP3Mike
One thing I haven't heard much talk about is non-Tesla Superchargers. Elon said that they would open the Tesla API for Ford so they could plug in and charge. But if Ford puts NACS chargers at a dealership are they Tesla Superchargers? Will they talk to Teslas via the CANbus standard for Plug&Charge? If not then Teslas that are NOT CCS ready will not be able to change from them. Would be interesting if letting the standard go free ends up causing Tesla owners more confusion.

Would be nice to see ChargePoint come to the table with their version of NACS charger. They would certainly NOT support Tesla's CANbus protocol if all they were doing was putting NACS connectors on a CCS charger, so how would P&C work on those chargers for a Tesla? Is there just one CCS standard for P&C? Seems like I can plug in thru a CCS adapter at EVgo after registering my car with them and it will start charging w/o using a card or a phone app. Not true at ChargePoint or EA, so there must be more than one standard for automatic billing at CCS stations...

EVGo uses their own "Autocharge". They record the ID (MAC address?) of the CCS controller, and then link that to an account.
To enable it you have to use the app to charge and provide your VIN. It's not a secure system so they allow it to be toggled. Some CCS cars, notably VW don't have the "unique" ID, so

Plug & Charge, as used by CCS vehicles, is a part of a wider standard: ISO 15118 - Wikipedia, and I can't see that Tesla would support it.
So, eliminate the adapter, but still use the apps/RFID.

In their press release (Opening the North American Charging Standard | Tesla) Tesla wrote:
As a purely electrical and mechanical interface agnostic to use case and communication protocol, NACS is straightforward to adopt. The design and specification files are available for download, and we are actively working with relevant standards bodies to codify Tesla’s charging connector as a public standard. Enjoy.

I just assumed it'd CCS protocols over NACS.

The Supercharger network does not currently use/support Plug&Charge. Ford and Tesla are likely doing something on their own, or maybe using OCPI, to allow the Ford apps to start/pay for charging.

And who holds the credit card for ISO-15118? Manufacturer? Charge Network?
The charge network provider. If you have accounts with multiple CPOs you have to be able to configure your vehicle to identify which CPO to use for Plug&Charge. (Well really even if you only have one account with a single CPO, you still have to configure your vehicle to use it.)

As far as I know with Ford you can only configure their vehicles to use the FordPass app for Plug&Charge. You can't pay via ChargePoint, EVgo, ElectrifyAmerica, etc. NEVI requires Plug&Charge support, and the ability to use any OCPI CPO to start charging, but I don't think they require that you can use any CPO for Plug&Charge in your vehicle. (So for example if charge provide XYZ gave better rates for using their app, you couldn't use Plug&Charge on a Ford to get that rate, as you can't make your vehicle use XYZ for Plug&Charge.)

This is something where Tesla has setup things to allow you to pay via a third-party CPO, at least with one CPO in Europe, so we may see support for that coming. (Though I would think most vehicle manufacturers will want to lock you in to their Plug&Charge solution so that they can scrape revenue out of every charging session you pay for.)

I have seen where people use their card to pay for charging at EA for example and it bills them for the electricity they put in even though at the moment that station was giving away electricity if they had just plugged in and NOT started the charge with their card/app, so I get the idea that one could pay less to charge if you keep all the middlemen outta the loop.

Are you saying that ISO 15-118 will require you to have an account with each provider you plan on plugging into? Sure would be nice if they just had a CC on file with your car maker and it automatically pays out to whichever charger you plugged into, but you are likely correct, manufacturers can't be trusted not to bill several dollars for such transactions.

Perhaps we could use ApplePay!

Reactions: Oparide
Are you saying that ISO 15-118 will require you to have an account with each provider you plan on plugging into?
No. You configure your car to use the CPO provider you want to handle Plug&Charge, assuming you can select anything but the manufacturer's app, and then that network is used to start and pay for all Plug&Charge sessions.

Sure would be nice if they just had a CC on file with your car maker and it automatically pays out to whichever charger you plugged into, but you are likely correct, manufacturers can't be trusted not to bill several dollars for such transactions.
That is exactly how it works. But you pay the rate that your Plug&Charge provider has negotiated with the charger you are using. Which could be more or less than the network charges on its own, or with a subscription. (For example, if you use the FordPass app to pay at EA you pay their normal rate, you can't subscribe to the EA monthly membership, that is $4/month, to get the lower rate. So why would anyone want to use Plug&Charge with the FordApp? Sure, it is convenient but you end up paying significantly more.)

Maybe someday they will allow linking your EA subscription to your FordPass app so you can get the discount with Plug&Charge, but that day hasn't come.

I, also, don't know how much a CPO gets paid for providing the payment services when you use Plug&Charge... Or maybe it is a negotiation between each CPO.

so I get the idea that one could pay less to charge if you keep all the middlemen outta the loop.
Yep. Though you may end up paying multiple monthly subscriptions. All-in-all I think this is way more worked out in Europe where there are more CPOs. Here things are just a year or two behind.

Perhaps we could use ApplePay!
Some CPOs do support using ApplePay. (For example, I think CircleK does.) Though again, you likely pay their most expensive "rack rate", and can't subscribe to their discounted plans.

The NACS specifications are freely available for anyone to use.
The trouble with the current state of affairs, as I understand it, is that NACS is currently completely open, meaning that nobody can steer it. It either remains static (but with portions perhaps open to interpretation) or different parties may see fit to adapt it in their own ways. That can be pretty chaotic. With true standards, there's a standards document (which may be open to interpretation, which in turn can cause problems) and an organization that can steer it (to correct for conflicts caused by differing interpretations, adapt to changes, expand it as necessary, etc.). As I understand it, Tesla is the closest that exists to that steering organization, but they are sort-of kind-of eschewing that role. All this may be OK in the short term, but in the long term, we could end up with problems like charging handles from Manufacturer A not working correctly with Automaker X because the two didn't test against each other, and some little doohicky gets in the way, or some component was specified with inadequate precision and the two implementations don't match.
And Tesla has said that they are working to get a standards body to be involved, which would remove their argument completely.
At least one standards body, CharIN, has already given a hard pass on involvement with NACS. That said, it's occurred to me that Ford coming on-board with NACS might help make it a formal standard; I'm not an expert, but I imagine that Ford carries weight with organizations like the SAE, for instance. The sooner NACS is adopted as a standard, the better, especially if more automakers sign on.

Reactions: Rocky_H and israndy
This is speculative, but I interpreted it to mean that Tesla is opening (or perhaps even creating a fresh) API so that Ford's computers can talk to Tesla's computers to coordinate the transfer of charging data, including both what cars charge where (so that Tesla can bill Ford for the electricity and so that Ford can then bill its own customers) and to provide Ford real-time data on Supercharger availability (so that Ford's in-dash navigation system call tell drivers that Supercharger ABC has 5 open stalls of 8 total, much as Teslas do). If this is done right, it'll be pretty transparent to users. With any luck, there'll be support for something akin to Plug & Charge or Autocharge so that Ford owners will be able to plug in and walk away without fumbling with an app, just as Tesla owners can; but I haven't seen anything official confirming that this will be the case. I have seen claims that Ford owners won't need a Tesla app to use Superchargers under this program; in fact, Farley said in an interview that this was a deal-breaker condition for Ford. AFAIK, they haven't gotten very deep into the technical details of how any of this will be accomplished.

Reactions: israndy
What I find ridiculous, yet it is made with a straight face, is that people argue that the plug used by the most manufacturers is the best choice, rather than the one used by the most drivers. As though what matters is work or trouble for the vendors, rather than for the customers.

There are twice as many cars with NACS on them than CCS1. And more charging stations. The main valid argument is that those charging stations are not available to the public -- and in spite of press image, Tesla has only committed to make about 10% of them available in this fashion.

But a vendor like Ford sees that if they can make them available to their drivers, that objection goes away. And if this becomes the general trend, then it removes this objection, and you would decide which connector you want based on the quality of the connector (for which nobody disputes NACS is nicer than CCS purely on bulk and ease of use) and the market share. CCS1 market share has grown of late, but still lags NACS, as long as you have an agreement you can use Tesla's stations.

What I have not seen publicly is any declaration that Tesla's offer of the use of the whole SC network to Ford drivers is permanent and independent of Ford. If I were buying a Ford and was told that if Tesla and Ford get in a fight, I can no longer use SC, I would be concerned. Tesla needs to declare that can never happen, that it has a contractual requirement with Ford owners (not with Ford) to let Fords use SC, at a price within range of what Teslas pay, with very few ways out of it.

Reactions: Genie
What I find ridiculous, yet it is made with a straight face, is that people argue that the plug used by the most manufacturers is the best choice, rather than the one used by the most drivers. As though what matters is work or trouble for the vendors, rather than for the customers.

There are twice as many cars with NACS on them than CCS1. And more charging stations. The main valid argument is that those charging stations are not available to the public -- and in spite of press image, Tesla has only committed to make about 10% of them available in this fashion.

But a vendor like Ford sees that if they can make them available to their drivers, that objection goes away. And if this becomes the general trend, then it removes this objection, and you would decide which connector you want based on the quality of the connector (for which nobody disputes NACS is nicer than CCS purely on bulk and ease of use) and the market share. CCS1 market share has grown of late, but still lags NACS, as long as you have an agreement you can use Tesla's stations.

What I have not seen publicly is any declaration that Tesla's offer of the use of the whole SC network to Ford drivers is permanent and independent of Ford. If I were buying a Ford and was told that if Tesla and Ford get in a fight, I can no longer use SC, I would be concerned. Tesla needs to declare that can never happen, that it has a contractual requirement with Ford owners (not with Ford) to let Fords use SC, at a price within range of what Teslas pay, with very few ways out of it.
If Tesla were to ban Ford, the impact would be an increased need to purchase a CCS to NACS adapter (assuming a 2025 or later car).

If Tesla were to ban Ford, the impact would be an increased need to purchase a CCS to NACS adapter (assuming a 2025 or later car).
It's not just that. Yes, they could still charge, though with the annoyance of having to use an adapter, and it is annoying because the way NACS locks in the car so you have to go into your app or screen to release the adapter.

But the big point is you bought a car thinking you could charge it at all SC. Think how you would feel if you are a Tesla owner, and you just got told, "Sorry, no SC for you any more, don't worry, you can get the adapter."

(Salvage cars do face this but not by surprise if they know about the rule.)

I thought Ford, or at least their CEO, said that every NACS vehicle they sell would come with the CCS to NACS adapter. So they shouldn't have to buy anything.
I think it's the other way around, NACS (Supercharger) to CCS (current Ford socket).
In 25, Ford cars get the NACS socket and would need an adapter to use CCS, and I don't recall heating anything about that (but it already exists).

It's not just that. Yes, they could still charge, though with the annoyance of having to use an adapter, and it is annoying because the way NACS locks in the car so you have to go into your app or screen to release the adapter.

But the big point is you bought a car thinking you could charge it at all SC. Think how you would feel if you are a Tesla owner, and you just got told, "Sorry, no SC for you any more, don't worry, you can get the adapter."

(Salvage cars do face this but not by surprise if they know about the rule.)
Sure, but then you are comparing Ford to any other non-Tesla OEM as opposed to Ford before SpC agreement to Ford after agreement falls apart.
If I were buying a Ford and was told that if Tesla and Ford get in a fight, I can no longer use SC, I would be concerned.

NACS does make the port unlock on press if the car is unlocked. They might be able to use the existing signal wires to unlock with a similar button to what they have now, even if unpowered.

I think it's the other way around, NACS (Supercharger) to CCS (current Ford socket).
In 25, Ford cars get the NACS socket and would need an adapter to use CCS, and I don't recall heating anything about that (but it already exists).
I reviewed the video and he just said that "we will have adapters for that", I thought he said they would be included, but I guess not.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I reviewed the video and he just said that "we will have adapters for that", I thought he said they would be included, but I guess not.
Cool, I'm guessing once the SpC->CCS are delivered, Ford will transition all their charge points to NACS. So, by the time the '25s come out, there is no need for an adapter within the Ford-Tesla ecosystem (beyond people with CCS home charging equipment). Of course, having one could be handy, but sort of optional.