Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Older model, and in-between-platform-generation model. I could also go into my Honda, and its numerous problems, which I'd report, and the dealership would inspect, then return the car to me... without long wait times, and without charging me for the problems, but also without fixing anything :Þ

Dubious at present. Perhaps with some parts early in the scaleup.

As much as Tesla service problems get widely shared, overall, owner ratings for Tesla's service are pretty middle of the pack, with consumers rating mobile service especially well. Bernstein's survey showed overall ratings at 42% of owners describing Tesla's service in 2018 as "excellent" (down from 57% in 2017) due to the Model 3 scaleup, but that's still a pretty average figure. Mobile service was ranked excellent by 70%.

The short of it is that nobody really likes service from any brand that much.

I haven't gotten dealer service from any other dealer since the 1990s. But when I got into a fender bender and needed parts from the dealer 4 years after the car went out of production, I got every part I needed within a week. Money was a bit tight so I did as much of the work as I could myself.

My partner has a Subaru that was in warranty until 2017. She didn't have any trouble talking to a human at the dealer service department when she needed to.

The automated system Tesla has is fine for easily understood issues, but anything complex and it's going to be difficult for service to understand what the problem really is.

I think you're mixing things up. It was Cadillac Supercruise that they ranked higher.

Cadillac Tops Tesla in Consumer Reports' First Ranking of Automated Driving Systems

But their metric would also (literally) have rated my living room couch better than Autopilot, so that's not saying much.

My bad. Volvo does have a system though.

What do you mean what happened to Polestar?

In the US at least Polestar is registered as a separate company which the IRS determined is entitled to a seperate 200k Federal Credits.

Polestar will be sold at franchised "Polestar Places" and online through "Polestar Places." But likely serviced at Volvo dealerships. My guess would be that Volvo franchisees will get first crack at a Polestar Place dealership.

Recharge is simply what they are calling Volvo BEVs. Like "i" in front of BMWs or "EQ" in front of Mercedes. "Recharge" will simply be a suffix instead of a prefix.

BTW Polestar 2 and XC40 Recharge are riding on the same exact platform.

Polestar 2 is a liftback sedan raised an 1" to 1.5" with SUV type cladding while XC40 Recharge looks more like a conventional SUV ( though really a crossover.)

World's first "Polestar Space" in Oslo.

polestar-space-oslo.jpg

Can anyone explain why search interest in the Mercedes and BMW brands exploded from Aug 29 to Sept 26 of this year – crushing Tesla – as reported by Google Trends?

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?cat=815&date=today 3-m&q=/m/0j6n6s8,/m/0h6dlrc,/m/0h5wpdf

Yes. It's all the people who learned from a famous investor on Twitter that Tesla's competition is finally here and is way ahead in EVs. That is simply the period when they started searching for them in droves on Google. And it turns out these legendary cars can be found all over the place! (Especially in Yahoo! Finance headlines.)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Skryll
Good coverage of Rivian. Interesting about the cooling of the cylindrical cells, I thought he kept saying "actually" but it must have been "axially", I'd guess with a plate at the bottom of the cell. Seems as if they are counting on the large size of the pack to keep current draw down so they need less aggressive cooling than Tesla, maybe also using less volatile NMC chemistry.

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G