Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's where the CUV comes in - SUV look with more car-like handling, fuel economy and price.

Don't get me wrong -- the Y isn't an Edsel. People won't shun it. Model 3 is an attractive car and the Y is just a taller 3. It will win over a lot of 3 buyers and some used X buyers. Plus some who wouldn't have bought either - Model Y is literally the Tesla they've been waiting for. But it doesn't look like a SUV, so I don't see it bringing in a lot of buyers from the ICE world.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Many of the new CUVs just look like tall sedan/wagons now (ex. i-pace, x4, Kona, Niro, Crosstrek, CX3, Taycan Cross Turismo, etc). The Polestar looks more similar to a Model Y than Model 3. I suspect the Polestar's range will be closer to 250 miles, than 310.

That's where the CUV comes in - SUV look with more car-like handling, fuel economy and price.

Don't get me wrong -- the Y isn't an Edsel. People won't shun it. Model 3 is an attractive car and the Y is just a taller 3. It will win over a lot of 3 buyers and some used X buyers. Plus some who wouldn't have bought either - Model Y is literally the Tesla they've been waiting for. But it doesn't look like a SUV, so I don't see it bringing in a lot of buyers from the ICE world.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, you will be wrong. The Model Y will outsell the Model 3 (at least 2-1) and the vast majority of the buyers of the Model 3 were previously ICE drivers. But once you experience electric, there really is no going back to gas, diesel or hybrid. That's how superior they are.

And a CUV is just a smaller SUV, it is still a net negative over a car in terms of handling, fuel economy and price. So I'm baffled why you would say some people cite those things as reasons they bought a SUV/CUV.

Reactions: 30seconds
And a CUV is just a smaller SUV, it is still a net negative over a car in terms of handling, fuel economy and price. So I'm baffled why you would say some people cite those things as reasons they bought a SUV/CUV.

This is a large CUV, a Chevy Traverse. It is a front wheel drive biased unibody vehicle based on the Chevrolet Impala. You can add a rear wheel drive shaft to make it all wheel drive

upload_2019-10-6_11-26-3.jpeg

This is a small body on frame SUV. It is rear wheel drive or four wheel drive.

upload_2019-10-6_11-29-0.jpeg

This is a large CUV, a Chevy Traverse. It is a front wheel drive biased unibody vehicle based on the Chevrolet Impala. You can add a rear wheel drive shaft to make it all wheel drive

View attachment 463224

This is a small body on frame SUV. It is rear wheel drive or four wheel drive.

View attachment 463227

And your point is that some small SUV's have body on frame construction and some CUV's are based on cars? Yes, I know.

Many of the new CUVs just look like tall sedan/wagons now (ex. i-pace, x4, Kona, Niro, Crosstrek, CX3, Taycan Cross Turismo, etc). The Polestar looks more similar to a Model Y than Model 3. I suspect the Polestar's range will be closer to 250 miles, than 310.
No question carmakers have pushed CUV styling far from the original boxy SUV look. Compare a 2001 Honda CRV:
images

To the 2019 Mazda CX-3:
1.jpg

Or the aforementioned BMW X3:
images

Still, these cars still have two-box styling cues. Even the Jaguar i-Pace disguises its sedan-ness with a high rear wing:
images

But i-Pace may be a bridge too far, it's not exactly tearing up the sales charts.

Meanwhile, the Model Y contains no such styling cues. It's 100% fastback:
upload_2019-10-6_16-53-51.jpeg

Very much like the BMW 3 Series hatchback:
2018_bmw_3-series-gran-turismo_4dr-hatchback_340i-xdrive_tds2_evox_1_500.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-6_16-41-8.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-6_16-41-8.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 32
  • upload_2019-10-6_16-53-26.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-6_16-53-26.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 35

Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm inclined to agree, but I think people underestimating the fresh demand from Y. Young families will be all over this thing, especially as the absolute safest semi-CUV/SUV you can buy.

No question carmakers have pushed CUV styling far from the original boxy SUV look. Compare a 2001 Honda CRV:
images

To the 2019 Mazda CX-3:
1.jpg

Or the aforementioned BMW X3:
images

Still, these cars still have two-box styling cues. Even the Jaguar i-Pace disguises its sedan-ness with a high rear wing:
images

But i-Pace may be a bridge too far, it's not exactly tearing up the sales charts.

Meanwhile, the Model Y contains no such styling cues. It's 100% fastback:
View attachment 463279

Very much like the BMW 3 Series hatchback:
2018_bmw_3-series-gran-turismo_4dr-hatchback_340i-xdrive_tds2_evox_1_500.jpg

The boxy utility vehicles are still selling well.

Etron is doing much better than I-Pace.

PRS_MY19_0015_V001.png

upload_2019-10-6_16-53-51-jpeg.463279

Model Y is very aerodynamic. But it is pushing it to Prius like shapes.

I think Model Y is going to sell off the charts. But not because of looks.

Because it is so safe,efficient, fun to drive, advance tech, brand cachet etc.

Reactions: KJD and cucubits
I think Model Y is going to sell off the charts. But not because of looks.

Because it is so safe,efficient, fun to drive, advance tech, brand cachet etc.

Depends. Time may be working against Tesla here. By the time Y is ready, other manufacturers may be also releasing/getting close to releasing good EVs.

If one is looking for specs alone, as mentioned, it's aerodynamic, latest tech (I still don't think FSD will be even close to working), probably lots of range, then yeah, the Y is something to look fw to. To be honest, I don't care for the looks. It just seems like they took a 3 and enlarged it by y%.

Model 3 is not attractive but it is OK and its a cheapish Tesla so it sells.
Model Y should be the huge volume and I predict we might see the end of the model X as a result.
Will be interesting in Europe once
-base Taycans are available.
-VW ID range is available.
Tesla seem to have the best BMS and motors so will be very interesting if anyone can really catch up.

I have to disagree with some. I guess I'm one of the few that like the Model X looks. One, it's different from the sea of cars out there.
I may never end up getting a 3 for that reason. Practically every grandma, mom, dad, kid, and dog drives a 3 around here.
If I had to choose, IMO, the Y (in pictures) look far better than the 3. It's like a poor man's baby X in a good way. The 3 is a little small for my tastes for being a 4-door, similar to how I prefer the bigger 992 over the 982.

Polestar 2, being a hatchback, will be a more direct competitor with Model Y.

Polestar 2 is about 10% more expensive than Model 3 and right in line with Model Y.

Polestar 2 Launch Edition is priced right around where Model Y Performance is projected to be priced. Eventually, base Polestar 2 will be $43k or about the price of Model Y with SR+ drivetrain. I doubt there will be a Model Y with SR pack.
Polestar is starting at 49,000 pounds, and about $63,000. It’s a nice car, but not competing with the 3 on price.

• Disagree
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Polestar is starting at 49,000 pounds, and about $63,000. It’s a nice car, but not competing with the 3 on price.

The 49k GBP/$63k car is a fully loaded Launch Edition, not the starting price.

The Model 3 is not a hatchback.

The Model Y does have a hatchback. The Model Y Performance is going to be about $63k.

The Model Y rear wheel drive with SR+ pack from Model 3 will be around $43k.

That is the starting price of the base Polestar 2.

Launching with Top Spec or nearly Top Spec BEVs is becoming industry standard.

The 49k GBP/$63k car is a fully loaded Launch Edition, not the starting price.

The Model 3 is not a hatchback.

The Model Y does have a hatchback. The Model Y Performance is going to be about $63k.

The Model Y rear wheel drive with SR+ pack from Model 3 will be around $43k.

That is the starting price of the base Polestar 2.

Launching with Top Spec or nearly Top Spec BEVs is becoming industry standard.

$63k is the *base* price. There's no indication at all that they're planning to launch a cheaper version.

upload_2019-10-8_8-29-31.png

I mean, they certainly could decide to later, but so far, this is just your speculation.

And it's pretty far from a spec match for the Model 3. You have to either really want a hatch or really hate Tesla to give up as much as you have to for this Chinese-made Model 3 knockoff.