Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12 Hummers per day is infinitely more EV trucks per day than current Cybertruck production per day.

And what is expected to be roughly 1.5 million total EVs production in 2022 from Tesla is gonna be close to infinitely more than all the EVs GM is gonna make this year.

"We make an hilariously few of one specific EV" is a poor defense of a company that has been issuing press releases for almost a decade now about how they're gonna be a leader in the field.

Especially when that one specific EV is pretty garbage. The battery alone weighs more than a lot of cars do. The efficiency is embarrassingly poor. Which I guess is on brand for hummer- but doesn't demonstrate a company serious about making EVs.

VW is serious about EVs.

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis is serious about EVs.

Hell even Ford is getting reasonably serious about EVs.

They're all WAY behind on output (VW being the only one not hilariously so) but they appear to be making genuine serious effort in EVs.

The only thing GM is serious about is announcing how serious they are.

That's from 2015

Chevrolet needs to be disruptive in order to maintain our leadership position in electrification

Far as I can see the only time they ever had any "leadership" position was the EV1, that they killed off after a few years in the late 1990s.

And the only thing they ended up disrupting was LGs profit margins when they had to spend billions paying to recall every Bolt ever made.

That's from October 2017. Telling us how they'd launch two new EVs based on what they learned from the Bolt in the next 18 months.... and they'd introduce 20 new EV models by 2023.

How'd that turn out?

Well, 18 months later they'd introduced *checks notes*... zero.... zero new EV models.

In fact, as of even 36 months later they'd introduced... zero... zero new EV models.

Arguably, if you count the Bolt EUV as a "new" model, they finally introduced ONE new EV just short of 48 months after that 18 month promise...but it's on the same dated platform the bolt is, so that's not really new is it? (nor is the Bolt they sell in China with a buick sticker on it)

Their first actual new EV was the hummer.... so over 48 months from their 18 month promise, and only one. And one requiring enough battery cells to make three actual useful EVs per Hummer if they were serious about making actual useful EVs.

They finally got to 2 actual new EVs with the Lyriq.... well, I mean, they did start building them--- they haven't actually delivered any...but they will probably deliver the first one before they hit 5 years since they promised to accomplish this in 18 months.

Anyway... as to the other 18 new EVs they promised by 2023.... well... I guess we can throw em a bone and count the BrightDrop Zevo 600? They only delivered a handful, and only to a single commercial customer, but I guess they are technically a new EV and they PLAN to sell them to consumers so sure let's count that.....

Kinda doubting they're gonna introduce another 17 to hit their 2023 goal though.

Heck at the LA auto show barely more than 6 months ago even toyota the king of not being serious about EVs had a new EV on display.

Know how many GM had? Zero.

Maybe you're more optimistic than me :)

Last edited:
And what is expected to be roughly 1.5 million total EVs production in 2022 from Tesla is gonna be close to infinitely more than all the EVs GM is gonna make this year.

"We make an hilariously few of one specific EV" is a poor defense of a company that has been issuing press releases for almost a decade now about how they're gonna be a leader in the field.

Especially when that one specific EV is pretty garbage. The battery alone weighs more than a lot of cars do. The efficiency is embarrassingly poor. Which I guess is on brand for hummer- but doesn't demonstrate a company serious about making EVs.

VW is serious about EVs.

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis is serious about EVs.

Hell even Ford is getting reasonably serious about EVs.

They're all WAY behind on output (VW being the only one not hilariously so) but they appear to be making genuine serious effort in EVs.

The only thing GM is serious about is announcing how serious they are.

That's from 2015

Far as I can see the only time they ever had any "leadership" position was the EV1, that they killed off after a few years in the late 1990s.

And the only thing they ended up disrupting was LGs profit margins when they had to spend billions paying to recall every Bolt ever made.

That's from October 2017. Telling us how they'd launch two new EVs based on what they learned from the Bolt in the next 18 months.... and they'd introduce 20 new EV models by 2023.

How'd that turn out?

Well, 18 months later they'd introduced *checks notes*... zero.... zero new EV models.

In fact, as of even 36 months later they'd introduced... zero... zero new EV models.

Arguably, if you count the Bolt EUV as a "new" model, they finally introduced ONE new EV just short of 48 months after that 18 month promise...but it's on the same dated platform the bolt is, so that's not really new is it? (nor is the Bolt they sell in China with a buick sticker on it)

Their first actual new EV was the hummer.... so over 48 months from their 18 month promise, and only one. And one requiring enough battery cells to make three actual useful EVs per Hummer if they were serious about making actual useful EVs.

They finally got to 2 actual new EVs with the Lyriq.... well, I mean, they did start building them--- they haven't actually delivered any...but they will probably deliver the first one before they hit 5 years since they promised to accomplish this in 18 months.

Anyway... as to the other 18 new EVs they promised by 2023.... well... I guess we can throw em a bone and count the BrightDrop Zevo 600? They only delivered a handful, and only to a single commercial customer, but I guess they are technically a new EV and they PLAN to sell them to consumers so sure let's count that.....

Kinda doubting they're gonna introduce another 17 to hit their 2023 goal though.

Heck at the LA auto show barely more than 6 months ago even toyota the king of not being serious about EVs had a new EV on display.

Know how many GM had? Zero.

Maybe you're more optimistic than me :)
I guess you don't count the Bolt EUV as a new model, since it's just a slightly different body with the same interior and drive train? That's reasonable. But by the same token you can't really count Model Y as new. Which means Tesla hasn't shipped a new EV in .... checks notes ..... five years :)

I agree GM is a joke. But so far VW Group has only sold what's legally required in Europe. EU 95g essentially forces 20% of their mix to be EVs this year. Since they nominally sell 4m cars/year in Europe, that's 800k EVs. Both numbers will be lower this year due to supply chain, but that's what they're set up to do. They planned to sell those same vehicles in China and North America, but it's not going well. They're way under the quota in China and had to buy NEV credits from Tesla. And they sell only handfuls in the US.

At least GM has the SGMW joint venture in China that sells half a million mini-BEVs per year. Those are very useful cars in Chinese cities. And since you bashed Hummer for using enough batteries to make three Model 3 SRs, shouldn't you also bash the 3SR for using enough batteries to make five Hongguang Minis?

I guess you don't count the Bolt EUV as a new model, since it's just a slightly different body with the same interior and drive train? That's reasonable. But by the same token you can't really count Model Y as new. Which means Tesla hasn't shipped a new EV in .... checks notes ..... five years :)

I agree GM is a joke. But so far VW Group has only sold what's legally required in Europe. EU 95g essentially forces 20% of their mix to be EVs this year. Since they nominally sell 4m cars/year in Europe, that's 800k EVs. Both numbers will be lower this year due to supply chain, but that's what they're set up to do. They planned to sell those same vehicles in China and North America, but it's not going well. They're way under the quota in China and had to buy NEV credits from Tesla. And they sell only handfuls in the US.

At least GM has the SGMW joint venture in China that sells half a million mini-BEVs per year. Those are very useful cars in Chinese cities. And since you bashed Hummer for using enough batteries to make three Model 3 SRs, shouldn't you also bash the 3SR for using enough batteries to make five Hongguang Minis?

Tesla has been lagging with the new models on the market, but they have refreshed the Model S and X and they have been producing more of the 3 and Y than most of the rest of the industry combined.

It is past time they got the Cybertruck into production. The Semi and Roadster are MIA too.

GM first Giga battery JV in Ohio will start producing battery cells this year.

VW's first JV with NorthVolt won't start production till 2025. VW owns 20% of NorthVolt and will buy batteries from Sweden but won't start German JV production till 2025.

Ford signed a MoU with SK Innovations to build JV Giga factories but yet no firm agreement.

GM has installed the final beam in the construction of its second JV battery factory.

GM has in total approved 3 JV battery Giga factories that will produce in the 30-40 GWh each. And a 4th is immanent.

BEV sales are not constrained by demand. Or automakers ability to make gliders. It is the ability to manufacture/acquire cells.

GM is ahead of all the legacy OEMs. VW current lead over GM BEV sales globally and Ford's BEV sales lead in North America are ephemeral.

• Informative
Reactions: Discoducky

Well, I can though- because esp. with front and rear gigacastings-- and now structural packs in 4680 cars- they're not the same platform for a slightly longer body.

But even if you didn't- Tesla didn't ever promise to spit out 20 new EV models by now did they?

VW is certainly way behind where it wants to be according to Diess- and both his own board and the germany unions have been fighting him tooth and nail on electrification to the company's detriment.....yet they're still the only legacy company in the world managing 6-figure output of EVs so far.

IIRC GM makes like $7 profit per car on those minicars. Tesla wouldn't exist if it was in that market, let alone be able to keep scaling output.

GM first Giga battery JV in Ohio will start producing battery cells this year.

VW's first JV with NorthVolt won't start production till 2025.

And yet VW produced vastly more EVs in 2021 than GM did.

And will again this year.

And will again next year.

GM is ahead of all the legacy OEMs. VW current lead over GM BEV sales globally and Ford's BEV sales lead in North America are ephemeral.

And GM has been telling us that since like 2015 as they fall even further behind in EV sales.

It's like the nonsense "inflation is transitory" BS the FED was trying to convince everyone of.

VW is certainly way behind where it wants to be according to Diess- and both his own board and the germany unions have been fighting him tooth and nail on electrification to the company's detriment.....yet they're still the only legacy company in the world managing 6-figure output of EVs so far.
It's mostly customers fighting him. Mainstream customers will buy EVs if they cost the same, but few will pay extra. EU 95g gives VW Group (and others) a mechanism to equalize upfront cost, so they sell plenty there. But they're in serious trouble in China and only a little better off in the US.

yet they're still the only legacy company in the world managing 6-figure output of EVs so far.
6 figures? Per month? VAG is not near that. Maybe by year end. Strong emphasis on maybe.

Pretty much every player except Euro-absent OEMs like GM and Honda will be above 100k this year. Hyundai/Kia and Stellantis could hit 500k.

IIRC GM makes like $7 profit per car on those minicars. Tesla wouldn't exist if it was in that market, let alone be able to keep scaling output.
I think it's all about the 0.8 NEV credits, which allows them to keep selling bigger, more expensive ICE cars.

6 figures? Per month? VAG is not near that.

No, per year. Tesla got there in 2017, but that was a pretty hard target in 2021 for most legacy companies.

Pretty much every player except Euro-absent OEMs like GM and Honda will be above 100k this year. Hyundai/Kia and Stellantis could hit 500k.

I think that is overstating things a bit?

In addition to GM, the largest OEM of all Toyota won't come remotely close to 100k BEVs this year.

Honda as you mention won't. Nissan sure won't.

Ford may or may not- the stop sale on the Mach E sure isn't helping though.

BMW might (I think they sold ~35k in Q1, didn't see Q2 breakout yet but if it's not down badly they should be ok)... Mercedes sold just over 20k in Q1 again haven't seen Q2 # yet so they're also a maybe for 100k.

So really apart from VW, Stellantis, and Hyundai/Kia I don't see the slam dunk for "pretty much every player" you appear to hitting that #.

And while most legacy is either hoping to, or unlikely to, hit 100k, Tesla was already next 10x that last year and will continue avg 50% CAGR through the end of the decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Discoducky and JRP3
No, per year. Tesla got there in 2017, but that was a pretty hard target in 2021 for most legacy companies.

In addition to GM, the largest OEM of all Toyota won't come remotely close to 100k BEVs this year.
I include PHEVs. It makes no sense to me that someone who buys a BYD Han EV and plugs it in every night counts as an EV sale but someone who buys a 50+ mile Han PHEV and plugs it in every night does not.

Should we exclude fake PHEVs sold in Europe to exploit EU-95 loopholes? Sure. But those are being regulated away and will soon be a rounding error.

Honda as you mention won't. Nissan sure won't.
Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi will. Most consider them to be a "group", like VW Group, but if you don't that's fine.

Ford may or may not- the stop sale on the Mach E sure isn't helping though.
Ford will, even if you exclude all PHEVs. They suspended Mach E deliveries a few weeks but kept making them and taking orders.

BMW might (I think they sold ~35k in Q1, didn't see Q2 breakout yet but if it's not down badly they should be ok)... Mercedes sold just over 20k in Q1 again haven't seen Q2 # yet so they're also a maybe for 100k.
BMW will, even if you exclude all PHEVs. They sold 76k BEVs in 1H. Mercedes sold 27k BEVs (plus 47k PHEVs) in Q1 (page 5). Preliminary numbers suggest they'll be over 50k at the halfway mark and they've been starting up new BEV lines for H2.

So really apart from VW, Stellantis, and Hyundai/Kia ...
So we started with VW is "the only legacy company in the world managing 6-figure output of EVs", then moved the goalposts to "VW, Stellantis and Hyundai/Kia". And that still misses BMW, Mercedes and Ford. And arguably Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi. And even those goalposts exclude all PHEVs so you can ignore Toyota and newly-public Volvo.

PHEVs absolutely don't count. At all.

If it has an ICE it's not an electric car.

Perhaps you missed the very title of the thread says bev?

And my statement missed BMW, Mercedes, and Ford, because 0 of them have given us full year results in the 6 figures so far.

It's POSSIBLE one or more will by end of THIS year-- but I was citing past performance, not future results- see my remark "that was a pretty hard target in 2021 for most legacy companies.
"

And the value of future results at that target #, as "competition" for Tesla, keeps moving further away as Tesla keeps scaling.

VW selling nearly 50% of the BEVs Tesla did in 2021- that's legitimately worthwhile as competition.

Mercedes POSSIBLY hoping (if they make it to 100k at all) to sell, in 2022, not quite 50% of the BEVs Tesla did in 2018....and likely 1/15th Teslas 2022 sales...less so.

Ford will, even if you exclude all PHEVs. They suspended Mach E deliveries a few weeks but kept making them and taking orders.

No, they're NOT still taking orders.

They stopped taking them a few months ago. Before the stop-sale order for the contactor problems came up.

They won't start again- for next years models, until August at the earliest.

And deliveries are STILL suspended BTW, have been since June 14th, and they're recalling nearly 50,000 of them in the US alone for the contactor problem.

I include PHEVs. It makes no sense to me that someone who buys a BYD Han EV and plugs it in every night counts as an EV sale but someone who buys a 50+ mile Han PHEV and plugs it in every night does not.
It makes total sense, the EV buyer has no choice but to plug in, the hybrid buyer does, and stats show they often are not.

My mistake. You could go to a dealer and buy (not order) an inventory car, you just couldn't take delivery.

And deliveries are STILL suspended BTW, have been since June 14th
Dealers got the s/w update in late June and resumed deliveries. Check the forums and you'll find people who got their cars.

GM data at one point showed that a significant number of people did not regularly plug in.
It was a small number of fleet cars. It's the same story as Europe, bad incentives produce bad behavior. But even including that misuse GM reported 63% of first-gen Volt miles were on electricity. That's 63% of the benefit with 25% of the kWhs. And the 2nd gen Volt and other recent non-fake PHEVs run the ICE much less frequently.

PHEV owners who pay for fuel overwhelmingly prefer electricity. It's nuts how many BEV fanatics expound endlessly about how wonderful it is to save money and avoid smelly gas stations, then turn right around and say if given a choice PHEV owners will always pay extra to visit those same smelly gas stations.

It was a small number of fleet cars. It's the same story as Europe, bad incentives produce bad behavior. But even including that misuse GM reported 63% of first-gen Volt miles were on electricity. That's 63% of the benefit with 25% of the kWhs. And the 2nd gen Volt and other recent non-fake PHEVs run the ICE much less frequently.

PHEV owners who pay for fuel overwhelmingly prefer electricity. It's nuts how many BEV fanatics expound endlessly about how wonderful it is to save money and avoid smelly gas stations, then turn right around and say if given a choice PHEV owners will always pay extra to visit those same smelly gas stations.
It's nuts how many hybrid fanatics try to insist they are the same as EV's while at the same time talking about the differences. They aren't the same vehicle in design, production, and use, nor should they be treated as such.

Dealers got the s/w update in late June and resumed deliveries. Check the forums and you'll find people who got their cars.

It appears it's less a fix (because it's a hardware problem) and more a "band aid that makes it more likely you'll be able to limp your defective vehicle to the dealer if needed" update.

your source said:
Apparently, the fix may just ensure that the Mach-E doesn't "brick." There may still be a chance that the high voltage battery contactors could overheat, which could lead to a "Service vehicle soon" warning.

The update should allow owners to drive their electric crossover to the dealer in a reduced power mode rather than being stranded with a car that has no power or won't start.

IN A RELATED STORY :)

Reactions: Discoducky