Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla talked about the cell&pack cost at the Q2 or Q3 earnings call (I think Q2). I expect them to be between 110 and 140 at the pack level now, maybe under 100 at the cell level?

Yeah, it was back in June. Also, current spot cobalt price is half what it was then and nickel is down about 25% so I think elons estimates are likely conservative.

I think your pack level cost estimates are probably accurate. Imo we're at the point wrt Tesla where pack costs are likely not material anymore. They need to still figure out high volume manufacturing, but that's a solved engineering problem so that will come soon enough.

I'm really optimistic(hopeful) that Tesla doesn't settle for a $35k base product. That leaves too much room to be disrupted by cheaper products. There's no reason a long range ev should cost more than $20k. I think it's a mistake to pursue profitability over volume at this point in their growth curve.

Reactions: jbih
Here is an electrek review of the iPace (Electrek Review Jaguar I-PACE: a stunning electric vehicle with some issues - careful the link goes to electrek)

When reading it, I assumed that Jaguar flew Fred to CA and paid for the trip.

Yet this is the verdict:
- Best looking car.
- Fast, responsive, handles well.
- Range really bad (but put as "the range is going to be good enough for most people, especially if you plan to use it to get around a city")
- Great family vehicle as long as you are not expecting the (inside) space of a full-size SUV.
- User interface sucks/doesn't work.

Doesn't sound like a slam-dunk to me.

First comment summed it up for me:
I still have a problem accepting that the iPace, priced almost like an S with a battery a lot bigger than anything model 3 LR has to offer, the size of a Model 3, still has only the range of the not yet released Model 3 SR.
Here in Austria the Model 3 AWD Premium is € 58300,-. The iPace starts at 78000ish. Bringing it to similar level with the Tesla Premium package resulted in 91000,-
[...]
Also: only 1phase AC charging. What were they thinking?

Here is an electrek review of the iPace (Electrek Review Jaguar I-PACE: a stunning electric vehicle with some issues - careful the link goes to electrek)

When reading it, I assumed that Jaguar flew Fred to CA and paid for the trip.

Yet this is the verdict:
- Best looking car.
- Fast, responsive, handles well.
- Range really bad (but put as "the range is going to be good enough for most people, especially if you plan to use it to get around a city")
- Great family vehicle as long as you are not expecting the (inside) space of a full-size SUV.
- User interface sucks/doesn't work.

Doesn't sound like a slam-dunk to me.

First comment summed it up for me:
Is it just me that thinks the i-Pace looks horrible. I see quite a few of them here in Oslo and every review says it looks gorgeous. The F-pace looks like a cool sporty SUV. Even the e-pace looks OK. And Jaguars modern sedans arguably looks even better then the Model S, and I love the looks of the Model S, I own one :)
But the i-Pace straight from the front looks angry and cool. But any kind of side view it just looks like someone ran out of time in the design process and just finished it with some "swoopy lines and noone will notice" or something. It's just too wide and short to look nice, and it kind of makes the BMW X4 look nice in comparison which does take some doing...

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuri_G
2019 I Pace Frunk

2019-Jaguar-I-Pace-front-storage.jpg

For safety Tesla tends to put longer noses on their cars than necessary with the intent of using the extra space for crumple zone. This allows for a large frunk. It also allowed them to re-engineer the Model S to have a front motor without too much rework of the core structure. Other companies tend to have the minimum nose on their cars. The Bolt has a fair bit of the electrical and electronics up there with no left over room. It looks like Jaguar was left with a small void so they made a mini-frunk.

In the end the frunk is just making some left over space useful.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Smart guy:

The global electric car market was worth four million units in 2017 but it's quite widely expected to be worth 29 million units by 2025. EV owners will come from all walks of life," Goodman told the British publication. "So it's a mistake to assume that, because the cars are electric, you have to make them quirky or futuristic."

He continues, "Other brands may be doing that, but if we’re looking at a market worth 30 million cars within seven years, it isn't going to be niche, it's going to be mainstream. So you just design a great-looking car—

Land Advisors sells 80 acres for $800M Lucid Motors plant | AZ Big Media

58a96e8754905724008b5a29-750-375.jpg

Land Advisors Organization’s broker Kirk McCarville represented the Buyer, Pinal County, in the transaction of 80 acres from Vernon Lester Barnes on December 21, 2018.

The 80 acres are being used by Lucid Motors to develop an $800 million plant, with engineers planning to break ground in March or April of this year. In the next 4-5 years, Lucid Motors is expected to employee 2,000 people in the Pinal area, to help with production of the Lucid Air Car.