Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My feeling as well, as well as action. We had a Signature reservation on Model X that we didn't make use of. Mostly due to not shipping with a fold fully flat configuration. But after awhile, it morphed as well into waiting out the early teething pains.

We finally acted on a 90 in the 47k VIN range. And we'll probably do something similar on any future Teslas we buy - wait 12-18 months from release before we buy. We're pretty early adopters of EVs, but not THAT early of adopters :)
I'll take the first CT off the line.

If Ford can manage 300 mile range they will be the first car company other than Tesla to break 260 miles range. They are advertising a 68KWh and 88 KWh battery and the car does not look to be as aerodynamic as the Model Y. The weight is going to be on par with the Model S 4800 pounds for the long range version.

That is absolutely true by EPA numbers. By real world range, all the Taycans go at or above 250. I checked the consumption on few 180 mile trips in my 4S, per mile it is identical with the consumption of my previous P85D (see graph below). With the larger battery pack, the 4S goes about 300 mi at 73 mph highway, the P85 D used to do a little less than 250 (my best was 242 mile). THe terrain is with ups and downs, but no major elevations - and no, I never hypermile.

upload_2020-6-30_20-39-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-30_20-38-17.png
    upload_2020-6-30_20-38-17.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 61
I have heard that people are seeing more range in the real world with the Taycan than the EPA rating, but the Taycan is a sports sedan with aerodynamic styling similar to the Model S. Aerodynamics make a big difference with an EV. The eTron and iPace both have terrible range for their battery pack and the poor aerodynamics of the design is a big factor in that. The e-Mach looks a bit more aerodynamic than the iPace and eTron, but not as aerodynamic as any of the Tesla cars.

Taycan range does less well in the city were absolute range is less important.

Taycan does better in highway driving(thanks to 2nd gear) were absolute range is more important.

You want long range for road trips not for going to the supermarket.

True, but comparing Taycan range to possible range of a new SUV is kind of comparing apples and oranges. If Ford can get 300 miles of range out of an 88 KWh battery pack, good on them, but they would be the first car maker outside of Tesla to get into the same efficiency/weight range as Tesla. Though it looks like the Taycan has matched a 5 years old Tesla design for highway driving, but not city driving and they did it with a 2 speed transmission and an extremely aerodynamic car design. Tesla is still ahead across the spectrum of driving situations.

Reactions: SmartElectric
True, but comparing Taycan range to possible range of a new SUV is kind of comparing apples and oranges. If Ford can get 300 miles of range out of an 88 KWh battery pack, good on them, but they would be the first car maker outside of Tesla to get into the same efficiency/weight range as Tesla. Though it looks like the Taycan has matched a 5 years old Tesla design for highway driving, but not city driving and they did it with a 2 speed transmission and an extremely aerodynamic car design. Tesla is still ahead across the spectrum of driving situations.

Mach-E is not an SUV, it is barely a CUV.

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo is similar in concept, but obviously at a much higher price point.

Porsche priority was track performance and repeatability. And second highway range for road trips.

Efficiency or saving money on electricity/fuel was not a top priority.

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-30_20-48-15.png
    upload_2020-6-30_20-48-15.png
    622.2 KB · Views: 43
Mach-E is not an SUV, it is barely a CUV.

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo is similar in concept, but obviously at a much higher price point.

Porsche priority was track performance and repeatability. And second highway range for road trips.

Efficiency or saving money on electricity/fuel was not a top priority.

The published dimensions of the Mach-E are almost identical to the Model Y. The two cars are the same length, but the Model Y has a shorter wheelbase and the Mach-E is a little narrower.

No question that current Tesla - Raven has the more efficient drivetrain. For me the surprise was how much better than EPA is the Taycan - as opposed to less than the EPA I observed with our 3 Tesla's. Not a large miss for the Tesla, but I never matched the EPA range - around 240 vs. 253 miles for the P85D and around 270-280 vs 310 mile for model 3 RWD and model 3 performance during summer time. Where Tesla still has a very strong advantage is the supercharger network.

While I'm not a Mercedes fan in general, if I was shopping for something the size of a Model Y, I would gladly pay a bit more and get a more premium and luxurious alternative:

It does look pretty.

In the MB you get leather, more wood, and aluminum finishes with lower NVH.

Plus dealership network with stocked parts.

You also get a way crappier powertrain and charging network. Probably a bit lower safety rating too.

Then there is standard autonomous hardware and AP/FSD

Even if Elon is overly optimistic you get more here than MB.