Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I've been following the little Honda E and I love it so much. I know it doesn't make much sense for it to come to the US but one can hope...

From the list, the e-trons pique my interest the most. I've always dreamed of owning an Audi and the only reason I'm not in one now, is that I couldn't afford an e-tron. Hopefully my 2016 S won't lose value too fast and I can keep the hope up.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Well, Ford had better pray for brand loyalty. Even after a $7,500 tax credit, the Model Y LR AWD now is $210 cheaper than the LR AWD Mach-e: Tesla reduces Model Y prices, now starts below $50,000 - Electrek

My sense is that what they really need to pray for is excellent software. It looked good in the staged demos, but there were rumors of a laggy UI and no actual details on OTA update scope/frequency and on top of that we know their self-driving is delayed (and apparently unavailable to anyone who doesn't buy hardware up front!). If their software lives up to Tesla's, great. If they're more in the realm of VW, seems like it could be a much harder sell.

Damn, though, just the thought that Tesla can build the same car for $7500 less... who's the master of motor vehicle manufacturing again?!?

Well, Ford had better pray for brand loyalty. Even after a $7,500 tax credit, the Model Y LR AWD now is $210 cheaper than the LR AWD Mach-e: Tesla reduces Model Y prices, now starts below $50,000 - Electrek

The best value proposition in a segment doesn't get 100% market share.

And it is not all brand loyalty.

Some may buy Mach-E on looks. User interface. Parts availability.

Some people never road trip and don't care about Supercharger Network.

However, the best value proposition usually is the Number 1 seller and sometimes has dominant market share.

Plus Ford is looking to make 50k units in 2021. They should be able to sell that many even if Tesla delivers 300k Model Y in 2021.

The BEV market is not a zero sum game.

No matter how I look at it, I can't get past how ugly the rear is. Just like the i-pace's rear, I don't understand how someone could draw that and say "yep, that looks great".

I don't like jellybean designs.

I strongly prefer the back of the Polestar 2 to Model Y.

I understand why Tesla choses it, for aerodynamic reasons.

This only looks good with long low wide designs like Model S.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Why do you think so ?
Tesla alone cannot satisfy all the EV demand. Any viable competitor is welcome to the EV revolution.
IMHO, Rivian is one of the most promising efforts outside Tesla. Certainly much more viable than Nikola...

I was being a smartass.

Lot of people here on TMC investor forum taking a dump on Rivian.

I am a fan of Rivian and a big fan of Ron Baron.

If you had read my previous post on the subject.

I don't think Rivian will have to compete with the "$40k Cybertruck" til many years from now.

Much like the "$35k Model 3." Available years later after ramp up and off-menu. When Rivian should be able to cut prices.

My guess is first deliveries will start with the cheapest model being a $60k version of the dual motor Cybertruck. Rivian's RT1 will start at $69k minus $7500 Federal Credit.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
upload_2020-7-14_7-37-45.png

This would make the Fisker Ocean essentially a rebadged ID.4 ( or whatever they end up calling it)