Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blames MCU resets on Tesla Waze Website.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere in the forum (can't find the thread) that you should set your browser to a simple site like google.com so that if it happens to refresh in the background, you will reduce the risk of random MCU reboots...not sure if its true but I rarely use the browser and have it set to google.com and have had about 3 reboots in 18 months of ownership (yes, totally anecdotal evidence)
Thanks @Shateam. That's exactly what I did; set it to google. I'll just have to wait and see if I get any more reboots. I am sad to hear about TeslaWaze going away. I was excited to see if it would work for me. I just hope Tesla gets their maps integrated with Waze and also gets the option to display the "live" weather layer. As always this user community is great. Thanks for all the info!

Finally took it in. They claim the Tesla Waze website runs all the time, even if not in the car, cumulatively eating RAM/CPU until it the MCU gives up the ghost.

Correct, with the ,12 update the browser now continues running even if it is in sleep mode. It was hammerings my server up a million requests a day until I figured out what was going on. I updated the app that if your car has not moved in 10 mins, then I stop polling/updating.

I also had MCU lock ups, and it ended being my Android phone plugged into the cars USB port. I assume, it was trying to use my phone as a USB device and their USB drivers were hanging. I got a cigarette lighter charger and I have had no issues since then.

Correct, with the ,12 update the browser now continues running even if it is in sleep mode. It was hammerings my server up a million requests a day until I figured out what was going on. I updated the app that if your car has not moved in 10 mins, then I stop polling/updating.

I also had MCU lock ups, and it ended being my Android phone plugged into the cars USB port. I assume, it was trying to use my phone as a USB device and their USB drivers were hanging. I got a cigarette lighter charger and I have had no issues since then.

Hi Eric,

Out of curiosity, is it only .12 or since .12 (so including the .18, ...) that the browser continues running?

Love your app, hope you find a way without Gmap

Two cars, both updated to 18.2.301aeee, both having sudden issues
Both have mp3 gumsticks, neither actively uses waze

Her call drop frequency (Android over Bluetooth) went up
Mine has self-reset MCU 3 times and I've initiated dual-thumbwheel resets twice.
I haven't tried pulling the gumsticks. Loading errors happen at about the same rate. The first time I've ever had an MCU reset while on phone. I had to turn Bluetooth off, in order to save a call. Phone not plugged via USB (only lighter 12v, or its own battery)
Odd Microsoft Login screen was the first browser image, after the last update. It asked for a Microsoft login. I don't even have MSoft bookmarked. The browser definitely picked up capability, actually being able to log into WSJ for instance. I do use it, and there's been some upgrading along with these other issues.

Last edited:
My screen reboots 1-2 times a week and I dont use the website. They are just making up excuses because they don't know the cause. Change the browser to Google.com and when it reboots again go back and tell them they were wrong.

So... my main display has been randomly rebooting and having issues where audio cuts out, temp shows dashes, odometer says "0", cellular cuts out, etc. hassle and a 1/2.

Finally took it in. They claim the Tesla Waze website runs all the time, even if not in the car, cumulatively eating RAM/CPU until it the MCU gives up the ghost.

Now... is this a cop out, or legit? I haven't programmed in a few years, but I do work in the IT field... I'm responsible for servers where developers blame us, and like the awesomeness that is Silicon Valley, we blame developers for bad code.

In this case, I'm going to blame Tesla.
If a website can crash your computer... you built a bad computer/browser.

It should have built in protection for that issue. Else, for fun, many people would be writing computer crashing websites.

I do however believe they may be accurate. rebooting the thing or visiting any other website seems to bring it back to life.

Also, the loaner I have; of course I use the waze website, and it's now doing the same damn thing...

I can obviously run WAZE on the phone (might have to soon)... but... anyone else having this issue?

thanks
This is still an issue right now in 2021. I have a brand new Tesla Model S and Waze still manages to reboot both Tesla displays (the large one in the middle and the one in front of the driver) while driving. It's a bit scary since you suddenly see a black screen and cannot see how fast you're driving. Interesting aspect is that the indicators and autopilot don't work anymore either. Takes a minute or two to reboot while driving. I suppose you could blame Tesla, but then again they never said that you're supposed to be able to use the Waze site. Any web site can have all sorts of *sugar* and you cannot blame Tesla for that.

This is still an issue right now in 2021. I have a brand new Tesla Model S and Waze still manages to reboot both Tesla displays (the large one in the middle and the one in front of the driver) while driving. It's a bit scary since you suddenly see a black screen and cannot see how fast you're driving. Interesting aspect is that the indicators and autopilot don't work anymore either. Takes a minute or two to reboot while driving. I suppose you could blame Tesla, but then again they never said that you're supposed to be able to use the Waze site. Any web site can have all sorts of *sugar* and you cannot blame Tesla for that.
Well - you can blame them for having a browser. I realize it sounds nice on paper, but it comes with a certain amount of complexity & overhead that clearly they did not take into consideration.

So... my main display has been randomly rebooting and having issues where audio cuts out, temp shows dashes, odometer says "0", cellular cuts out, etc. hassle and a 1/2.

Now... is this a cop out, or legit? I haven't programmed in a few years, but I do work in the IT field... I'm responsible for servers where developers blame us, and like the awesomeness that is Silicon Valley, we blame developers for bad code.

In this case, I'm going to blame Tesla.
If a website can crash your computer... you built a bad computer/browser.

It should have built in protection for that issue. Else, for fun, many people would be writing computer crashing websites.

I do however believe they may be accurate. rebooting the thing or visiting any other website seems to bring it back to life.

Also, the loaner I have; of course I use the waze website, and it's now doing the same damn thing...

I can obviously run WAZE on the phone (might have to soon)... but... anyone else having this issue?

thanks
Have had the same thing twice....I was watching a video while parked, then starting driving and screen locked (in my case, A/C turned on full blast).....I pulled over, and called support and a tech cleared the browser cache and if fixed it....I asked him how I can clear it, and he said not possible. I guess it's' possible that, once loaded, Waze could run in background, my only lockups occurred when actually using the browser