Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Blind Spot Monitor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Tesla Owners, I have a new tesla, I was surprised that it does not provide enough warning for blind spots. While it has a Chime setting, I have never heard the Chime.

In my other cars, the light flashing in the mirrors+Chime were very good and have saved me in very precarious settings.

Probably current Teslsa do not have the option of light flash in the rear view mirrors, but maybe it is a simple software code to create Chime sound and maybe some light flash when there is someone in a blind spot path?

Or, my tesla has a problem!!!

Would love to learn from others.

just set your mirrors so you don't have a blind spot. How To Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

I want a Hyundai/Kia like audible alert. With fast moving changing traffic there are always cars that slide into your blindspot unexpectedly.

Whatever. Model Y isn’t perfect. No car is perfect. This is one of the Y’s flaws along with lacking cross traffic alerts and a 360 camera. Its a modern day Camry/RAV4.

Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Typical talking out of your butt response. No matter how well you adjust your mirrors, you’ll always have a blind spot. Blind spot monitors are especially helpful with motorcycles as they can easily fit in to your blind spot.
This is true especially for Tesla. In my all previous cars, I was able to eliminate blind spot with mirror adjustment but Tesla mirror is probably less convex - I could not avoid a blind spot without losing view of the next lane that made me uncomfortable. I ended up adding the small add-on blind spot mirror in the corner of Tesla mirror. I still don’t like it because I need to refocus my eyes to look through that tiny mirror But it’s a necessary evil.

Reactions: jiehan
Upvote 0
The Model Y does not have the typical blind spot warning on or near the side mirrors that most new cars now have. What it has instead is the FSD realization view that shows the cars around you, the warning beep when you're close to hitting a car in your blind spot, and the blind spot camera feed that pops up on the center screen when the blinkers are activated.

I know most people feel that the traditional blind spot monitors on the side mirrors is superior, and they are probably right, but now that I'm acclimated to the Tesla system I'm finding that I actually prefer it. Here's how the Tesla system has worked for me:

-FSD realization: I actually rarely if ever look at that to check the blind spot around the car.

-Warning beep: I've only had this activate once, when I was about to move into the left lane, which was clear at the time, and the car behind me moved at the same time trying to pass me. The warning sound came on pretty loud and the car adjusted the steering to prevent me from moving into that car. It worked as intended.

-Blind spot camera feed: I like this a lot and usually take a quick look either before or after turning my head to check the blind spot (I'll probably never skip doing this). I can't wait until the 2022.24 update that allows us to move this view up in the screen as it's too low right now and most of the time I need to move my right hand out of the way to see it.

All other cars I have access to has the traditional side mirror blind spot monitor, and I'm finding that I don't pay that much attention to it anyway and often glance at the center screen in those cars out of habit of looking at the blind spot camera feed after turning my head to actually look at the blind spot.

Anyway, as mentioned, it's not perfect, but I haven't found the lack of traditional blind spot monitor to be an issue for me.

Upvote 0
If you are close enough to the car in your blind spot while you're trying to change lanes. The model y adds resistance to the wheel to try and prevent you from changing.
I've also had it once where I was merging into the highway and another car drifted into my lane next to me and the model y steered me slightly to the left before I was able to react.

Upvote 0
This is true especially for Tesla. In my all previous cars, I was able to eliminate blind spot with mirror adjustment but Tesla mirror is probably less convex - I could not avoid a blind spot without losing view of the next lane that made me uncomfortable. I ended up adding the small add-on blind spot mirror in the corner of Tesla mirror. I still don’t like it because I need to refocus my eyes to look through that tiny mirror But it’s a necessary evil.
It takes me a few weeks to adjusted to not being able to see the full adj lanes all the time, but then I learned to just lean over toward the windows or center of the car to see the whole lane if I wanted to. There is a chance that someone could change lane from 2 lanes away into the lane next to me at the same time I am changing lane but no system is perfect. I hoping the Tesla chime will buzz if that happens!

I can understand why people would want the blind spot warning lights because their previous cars got it. I actually never had a car that has it (except on rentals), so I am not missing out on anything LOL.

Upvote 0
IMHO the blind spot camera feed is superior to the mirror light in several ways. First, you can see exactly what's in your intended lane, plus the next lane over in case you're on a 3 (or more) lane highway. It reduces the likelihood that two cars are changing lanes into each other. Also, activating it with the turn signal forces you to use your blinkers, alerting other drivers of your intentions. And lastly, you don't have to turn your head away from the road to see what's there. Personally, I look first, and then activate my blinker and the camera, but it reduces the amount of time I look away from the road.

Reactions: Canyonero
Upvote 0
Typical talking out of your butt response. No matter how well you adjust your mirrors, you’ll always have a blind spot. Blind spot monitors are especially helpful with motorcycles as they can easily fit in to your blind spot.
This is a typical response of people who don't realise how they drive. If you are a good driver you have a pretty good awareness of the cars 100m in front of you and 100m behind you. With experience you know how fast each car is most likely to go, and what their next behaviors will be. This is one of the reasons why Tesla autopilot works in most cases, but not in all -- it doesn't see farther than 20-30m ahead of you, and 15-20m behind you. A good human driver evaluates and judges the road situation every few seconds.

Upvote 1
This is a typical response of people who don't realise how they drive. If you are a good driver you have a pretty good awareness of the cars 100m in front of you and 100m behind you. With experience you know how fast each car is most likely to go, and what their next behaviors will be. This is one of the reasons why Tesla autopilot works in most cases, but not in all -- it doesn't see farther than 20-30m ahead of you, and 15-20m behind you. A good human driver evaluates and judges the road situation every few seconds.
A car will cover 100m in one second at 70mph, so knowing which cars are within 100m is only accurate for 1 second.
You have a lot of assumptions in your explanation. You never know how quickly or when a vehicle will accelerate.
Using your mirrors and looking over your shoulder is still a good way of verifying before changing lanes.
Blind spot monitors are a lot more helpful detecting vehicles or motorcycles in your blind spot then the side view cameras. That has to do with biology. It takes more time to see the video and process everything in it to look for a car. Compared to, is the light in or not. Sometimes simpler is better.

Upvote 0
IMHO the blind spot camera feed is superior to the mirror light in several ways. First, you can see exactly what's in your intended lane, plus the next lane over in case you're on a 3 (or more) lane highway.

Nah, it's a giant distraction to look at the screen. Driving needs few distractions which is why I like NO dashboard. HUDs are fine.

I prefer an audible alert that fires if some car is in your blind spot and you attempt to signal or turn into.

Reactions: WADan and Stach
Upvote 0
I find my self relying more on the screen display than the mirror for the blindspot reason... What's a real shame is we have no cross traffic alert. Tough backing out in parking lots.
Yeah, I think for a car that's supposed to have the ability to Full Self Drive at some point, it really should have the capability to detect rear cross traffic. Otherwise it can't even begin an FSD session by backing out of a parking spot without potentially getting hit.

Upvote 0
A car will cover 100m in one second at 70mph, so knowing which cars are within 100m is only accurate for 1 second.
You have a lot of assumptions in your explanation. You never know how quickly or when a vehicle will accelerate.
Using your mirrors and looking over your shoulder is still a good way of verifying before changing lanes.
Blind spot monitors are a lot more helpful detecting vehicles or motorcycles in your blind spot then the side view cameras. That has to do with biology. It takes more time to see the video and process everything in it to look for a car. Compared to, is the light in or not. Sometimes simpler is better.
If both cars are going 70 it will be accurate forever. If the speed delta between your car and the closing car is 70 mph then they could close the distance in one second.

Upvote 0