Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog yesterday repeats 215 mile range estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is pretty simple, guys. Base will be 55 kWh and 215 miles. Highest will be 75 and about 295. Still technically less than the 100D Model S, but I don't care. That'll be what I reserve. I don't really care what the base model has under the floor.

"Guys"
You do know there are ladies on this forum too, right?:)

On the current base A4 starting at $35k you only get 2 above which is infotainment only, Nav is $2300 option.
The instrument cluster has a 4" monochrome display with analog gauges.

I'm not sure what trim level gets the other stuff above, but a fully loaded A4 is in the mid 55-60k.

35k gets you a pretty basic car from the Germans. Still nice, but basic. Higher trim and options add up quick.

Granted it may be the same with the model 3. Hopefully it won't be too much longer until we find out options and pricing.

We will see what happens when the screen is broken from a blow to be so exposed and we have no control or information

We will see what happens when the screen is broken from a blow to be so exposed and we have no control or information

The exact thing that happens when your cluster shorts out. Did you know that for 20+ years, your 'analog' instruments aren't?
There is processor, firmware, and static ram. Your needles are just servo motors.

The screen should be much cheaper to replace.

Everyone is just assuming the largest battery option will be 75 kWh since Elon said that was the largest battery that would physically fit in the Model 3 assuming current density. That certainly makes sense but is a 70 kWh even a possibility based on a previous article in Electrek? It wouldn't be the first time Tesla surprised us.

"Sources familiar with the program confirmed to Electrek that Tesla has been testing third generation systems in a Model 3 test mule configured with dual motors and a 70 kWh battery pack, which would make it a “Model 3 70D”.
Exclusive: Tesla is testing a Model 3 mule with a 70 kWh battery pack and dual motors (Model 3 70D)
I take anything said by "sources" with a grain of salt.

As for the 215 range estimate in the blog, did anybody think that Tesla would give an update that says anything different before the final reveal? They'll update the specs when the final release is, and not before.

If they are concerned about potential S buyers delaying because they have one eye on the potential of the 3, and the 3 really is as "inferior" as Elon is hinting, why not just have a reveal and announce option prices? They may draw more attention from the general population but potential S buyers will have the facts they need and proceed.

Because the 3 really will be 90% of the S, for half the price, and when they do that, they can say goodbye to S sales. The longer they delay information, the better the 3 is.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

In that unlikely circumstance [total failure] I'd like to think you could at least temporarily get vital stats through the mobile app. More likely is gradual degradation of the display, "dead pixels" etc., indicating it's in need of repair or replacement.

A Model 3 price-range (and Elon Musk named competitor) Audi A4 has:
1) a graphical instrument cluster like Model S
2) a high-resolution second screen
3) a heads-up display
4 + 5) two screens for rear-seat passengers

Audi A4 thus has five screens. And I'm not even counting things like the small AC displays.
Model 3 has one screen.

Yes, Model 3 has just one screen, but it is a 15" display. This is not a cup holder count competition ... :cool:

full

Last edited:
That's where the term "y'all" is elegantly inclusive and progressive. ;)

Ah, but you must know the proper plural form that would be equivalent to "you guys", which is, of course, "all y'all". I was born in Michigan, but grew up in Texas. So I am bilingual in both northern and southern. I can correctly order a carbonated beverage in almost any part of the country. ;)

The Model 3 should scale better at higher speeds due to the better aerodynamics.

Except that even if you don't use cabin heat the car needs to continually heat the battery (assuming it's cold enough) and that definitely saps range. So, no, they aren't similarly affected. Once the ICE engine heats up cold doesn't bother it, because it generates so much waste heat anyway.
That depends on how well insulated the battery pack is, not a direct characteristic of an EV. With a properly insulated battery, it's possible for the waste heat of the battery (and perhaps the motors/inverters if there is a shared loop) to provide enough heat to maintain the battery temps.

Cabin heating however is a much bigger energy draw.

The exact thing that happens when your cluster shorts out. Did you know that for 20+ years, your 'analog' instruments aren't?
There is processor, firmware, and static ram. Your needles are just servo motors.

The screen should be much cheaper to replace.
I saw this response in Jalopnik too. It seems many people think their "analog" instruments are still actually mechanical (independent of the electronics). For example, people seem to have the impression their speedometer would still work if the electronics cut out on their dash, when that is no longer the case given cars today don't use speedometer cables anymore. Same thing with all the other gauges. It's all digital nowadays, no different if they replaced it with a screen (which many automakers are starting to do).

The car computer is completely independent of the dash, so you can still drive the car perfectly fine.

If Tesla makes the screen, an actual screen this time (meaning the processors and mainboard is inside the dash and not part of the unit sticking out), it shouldn't be too expensive to replace.

A Model 3 price-range (and Elon Musk named competitor) Audi A4 has:

1) a graphical instrument cluster like Model S
2) a high-resolution second screen
3) a heads-up display
4 + 5) two screens for rear-seat passengers

Audi A4 thus has five screens. And I'm not even counting things like the small AC displays.

Model 3 has one screen.

Your point being?

My point is very simple:

The notion being repeated in these threads that expecting more than one screen in a $35,000+ vehicle would be somehow abnormal. The conversation was starting to look that way, with people asking how could anyone expect more from a vehicle of this price.

I was showing how well-equipped the competition in Model 3's class actually is, interior-wise. They also have ventilated seats...

Reactions: Model 3
On the current base A4 starting at $35k you only get 2 above which is infotainment only, Nav is $2300 option.
The instrument cluster has a 4" monochrome display with analog gauges.

I'm not sure what trim level gets the other stuff above, but a fully loaded A4 is in the mid 55-60k.

35k gets you a pretty basic car from the Germans. Still nice, but basic. Higher trim and options add up quick.

Granted it may be the same with the model 3. Hopefully it won't be too much longer until we find out options and pricing.

I never disputed that. It would, of course, be absolutely OK for Tesla to offer some or all of the extra screens as paid options.

The extra price for the front screens is, in Germany, is around 3000 euro and another 2000 something for the back screens.

So, maybe $5,000 extra - a $40,000 car... Not 55-60k, nowhere near that, to get five screens.

Yes, Model 3 has just one screen, but it is a 15" display. This is not a cup holder count competition ... :cool:

Sure, but an Audi A4 has more inches and more pixels in total.

Audi's asking price, for example, for the virtual cockipt that has the Model S style (some might argue better than Model S) instrument cluster.

500 euro.

That's the option price to have a Model S style instrumentation on an Audi A4.

The point I'm making: this is not expensive stuff. Or at least not too expensive for this price-point in cars.

Reactions: Model 3
People kept arguing that the 3 was going to be the new S? Other than reading it in this post, I don't recall ever hearing that from anyone. But in the era of fake news, I guess this is another example.

There's a ton of posts of how much better the 3 was going to be, faster, better, and cheaper than the S, and anyone who tried to reality check those comments were put into the "you're just butt-hurt model S owner". With all the current option packages, but also at half price...

Yeah, and at half the price. How was that going to happen?

Everyones answer was "economies of scale". That still doesn't just wipe off 35K off the build on a car, especially when the battery has such a high percentage of the BOM cost.

Reactions: WarpedOne
There's a ton of posts of how much better the 3 was going to be, faster, better, and cheaper than the S, and anyone who tried to reality check those comments were put into the "you're just butt-hurt model S owner". With all the current option packages, but also at half price...

Depends on how one looks at it. A Model 3 will be better in many ways than a Model S sold a year ago.

One thing people IMO realistically expected was Tesla's next generation in both maturity and technology design. As a growing company with some portions of Model S and Model X still being second-tier quality, the expectation that Model 3 might finally jump the company to a new level was/is not completely unwarranted. Similar to how a new generation of car from any manufacturer is somewhat more advanced than a more pricier car from the previous generation, spiced up with the extra fact that Tesla is still only maturing as a company and a car maker...

M3 has also been quicker than an M5. Smaller is sometimes faster in car-makers line-ups...

We were also told how much cheaper Gigafactory would make the batteries... and after all, Model S is vastly cheaper than Roadster was...

Being hopeful seemed plausible.

Then again, we expected Model X to do that as well for Tesla's quality (see how that turned out...), so time to re-calibrate our expectations and listen to Elon: Model 3 will be crap. :D

Last edited: