Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla-Cam Captures Poor Lane Splitting choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure which forum to upload this video.

The Rider made a poor choice, the traffic was almost stopped in lanes 2, 3, 4. Lane 1 is the carpool lane. The car ahead of me decided to move to the right. They only had the turn signal on for one 'blink' as I see it.

The rider seems to be mostly unhurt. That's the good news.

Here is the link to the YouTube video. Crash happens at about 20-22 seconds.

Hopefully the link will work, my first time posting a video.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
CHP issued guidelines through their California Motorcycle Safety Program in 2017 that instructed motorcyclists to travel no more than 10 miles per hour faster than other traffic and not to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster. The guidelines also includes a list of when not to split, disclaimers and messages to other motorists.

CHP issued guidelines through their California Motorcycle Safety Program in 2017 that instructed motorcyclists to travel no more than 10 miles per hour faster than other traffic and not to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster. The guidelines also includes a list of when not to split, disclaimers and messages to other motorists.

Looks like those have been taken down: Lane splitting general guidelines

Seems like since they weren't rules it became an issue...

Yeah, too fast for surrounding traffic, leaves little time to react. I wonder if he had just stayed straight and hit the brakes hard, then swerved, would he have had a better chance of avoiding the crash. By turning and braking hard, he skids on his rear tire and loses his braking performance and control. I no longer ride motorcycles, but still bike and when I'm in a low-grip situation, I try to brake as straight as possible, then turn. Just a better chance of not having to lay my bike down.

Reactions: OhioJoe49
Wrong brake caused this. Looks like NO front brake used, as was no weight transfer/fork loading forwards. Still, probably wouldn't have stopped, but would have been able to maneuver around the car.

Front Brakes should do majority of the stopping. Rears are for slow-speed control, and a little bit extra if you really need it. Video shows exactly why.

Car did see the bike, when he had moved over, and can see down the split. Can see him move back. There was room for the bike to go around. Can't blame the car at all for this, was indicating, and changing lanes cautiously and looking.

So, Too Fast, and lack of skill of the rider caused this.

(Yes, I ride as well, and will split lanes when appropriate/legal/safe)

Reactions: KenC
I split lanes to my 37 mi work on the 91 for seven years. I had a biker go up in the air in front of me. Wearing a yellow two piece rain suit, he was particularly visible. It was more or less this situation. That was in Corona; I had no time to stop, the control tower opening depended on my timely arrival. But I've always wondered how he made it. Your guy here def needed to practice panic stops; the rear brake is NOT the way to do it.

Last edited: