Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Can't Fix This Model Y: Cars Being Delivered With Many Issues...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Video posted by Ryan....

This makes me sad. I just ordered in a week ago, so I'm hoping things improve for the all of us. They better get their act together!

Didn't watch this but as someone who took delivery 6 days ago, I love it! Just a few minor issues, which I expect is the norm. Do others have more problems? Of course, but as is human nature, people are much more inclined to complain than to give praise. If you're worried sure wait a year and quality will be better odds are. But is it as bad in general as some posts may lead you to believe? Not a chance. I had a M3 before this and found only one fender liner clip dislodged, fixed in a second. YMMV - I recommend temper your expectations and take the plunge. I bet you have a huge smile on your face once you get it... :)

Counterpoint:

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (1st year of production): LOTS of initial quality control issues including axles filled with fluid before the manufacturers "rust preventative" was thoroughly cleaned out. RESULT: axle / axle half shaft / U-joint / failures from the axle shafts not "unlocking" when turning. Jeep would replace these defective from the axle failures IF the customer demanded it if they could find and present Jeep's "Technical Service Bulletin" which Jeep never supplied its customers

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (1st year of production): repeated complete failure of "Active Handling System" causing this 505 hp / 2,900 lb. rear wheel drive vehicle to lose Traction Control, ABS, torque management, etc. Cause was Chevrolet installed a wiring harness TOO SHORT for the telescoping steering wheel. GM's solution: Zip Tie to minimize the wiring harness "movement". NO I'M NOT KIDDING. I had to contact the Corvette Chief Engineer I'd met at a Corvette Track Day to get them to FINALLY fix it which required the Master Corvette Mechanic at our Chevrolet dealership to spend 2 days following a 50 step troubleshooting procedure to CURE the problem unlike the "Zip Tie" band aid which got you literally just outside the dealership property before going off again.

1999 Chevrolet Corvette convertible (NOT 1st year of production): Car would "run out" of fuel because Chevy install defective fuel tank transfer devices between the 2 fuel tanks. Car would feed ALL the fuel out of one tank causing the car to RUN OUT of fuel with one tank still full. Fuel transfer device replace 3 times... each time with Chevy providing defective fuel tank transfer devices. YES 3 TIMES. Car Lemon Lawed after running out of fuel on a curved K-railed under construction section at night with NO overhead lights (removed during construction). Unbelievable.

2011 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 HD (NOT 1st year of production): Wheel Speed Sensors, Blutec DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) tank + heater + tank + sensor failures... and glow plug failures are known issues at low mileage. Mercedes dealers will claim they're not covered by warranty when in fact CARB states emission warranties DO cover them. You have to KNOW this and contact Mercedes Customer Service and YELL to get them to cover it under warranty. Class Action Lawsuit on these pending.

Compare these to our 2015 Tesla Model S P85D and our daughter in law's 2019 Model 3 AWD LR which have had NO "debilitating" issues.

I can go on with the other car manufacturer's manufacturing issues but hey mostly we only hear from complainers, not happy customers here.

OH and anybody going to the trouble of making the initial obviously produced video asking for LIKES has a $$$ agenda. Click Bait IMHO.

YMMV

Honestly, it's the shipping damage that irks me. Either this has always been hidden from me by every other manufacturer I've purchased from over 30 years, or Tesla really needs to outsource to a different company. Part of my MY's issues are delivery damage.
Dealer fixes the damage before putting it onto the lot, which the service center should be doing as well

Dealer fixes the damage before putting it onto the lot, which the service center should be doing as well

I am wondering why they don't wrap the cars before shipment like Audi does, except for environmental impacts of using car wraps. I had a surface scratch on my hatchback glass (which they are fixing along with hatchback alignment) which I feel could have been prevented by this.

Reactions: IdaBish
Honestly, it's the shipping damage that irks me. Either this has always been hidden from me by every other manufacturer I've purchased from over 30 years, or Tesla really needs to outsource to a different company. Part of my MY's issues are delivery damage.

Other dealers don’t typically schedule same day delivery. They gave a big lot in the back and go through the cars before they move them to the front lot for sale.

I am wondering why they don't wrap the cars before shipment like Audi does, except for environmental impacts of using car wraps. I had a surface scratch on my hatchback glass (which they are fixing along with hatchback alignment) which I feel could have been prevented by this.

I’ve seen Audi using reusable covers on their cars lately. They have zippered panels for the driver’s door for access. And BMW typically uses the Wagoneers trucking with fully enclosed trailers. I think you’re absolutely right that they could prevent many of these issues is they covered the cars during transport.

Reactions: IdaBish
I can see both sides of the argument, however Tesla isn't selling a huge variety of cars. Unless I'm mistaken, all of the sheet metal and interior bits are shared across the Y lineup whether you get the RWD up to the Performance. There are small differences, but they are sticking the exact same hatch, frunk, bumpers, fenders and doors on thousands of the same car coming off the line. The simplicity in limited options, colors and interiors should make building it easy. They can make battery packs and motors to precision, but they struggle hanging the body panels and putting in rear seats.

Haha
I'm guessing he's busy enjoying marriage and his new Y. :)
haha this is true! Currently not enjoying the Y since it is in the shop, but since bringing it in, it seems like tesla is going to be able to fix my issues this time. I really hope so, because this is my third appointment, and I could hardly drive the car with the front trunk bug. It would knock me out of autopilot with every “take control immediately” alarm, so I hope that gets fixed. Doesn’t seem that issue is super common.