Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS fast charging adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the ones already installed, I don't think any of them are including J1772. There wouldn't be much point to that. Most places have several level 2 options. The point of this Electrify America deployment is DC fast charging, so it's just CCS and CHAdeMO.
Also, they have at least 4 chargers at each location so even if one or two are broken down, you will still be able to charge. J1772 backup is much more important when the site only has a single charger.

From the ones already installed, I don't think any of them are including J1772. There wouldn't be much point to that. Most places have several level 2 options. The point of this Electrify America deployment is DC fast charging, so it's just CCS and CHAdeMO.
Electrify America has two kinds of charging sites with DC charging.

Highway sites have at least 4 and so far no more than 10 CCS DC charging spaces. These sites do not have J1772 AC charging. Two of these typically support 350 kW charging and the rest support 150 kW.

Community or metro sites have at least 3 and so far no more than 6 DC CCS charging spaces. Most sites will support 150 kW but some are only 50 kW. These sites typically have some J1772 AC charging as well.

Both highway and metro sites have one charging dispenser that has both a CCS and a CHAdeMO cable.

Here is an example of a metro 50 kW site with J1772 AC charging:
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Last edited:
Then I am assuming that tesla is just holding off. and making europe a priority until they sell the adapter in NA.

Then I am assuming that tesla is just holding off. and making europe a priority until they sell the adapter in NA.

I think Tesla is holding off until they put the standard dual charge port into the 3,S,X - probably this summer. Why? Good question. Maybe they want to avoid embracing CCS until it's a standard feature on all of their cars. And maybe they've just had problems making the adapters reliable.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I think Tesla is holding off until they put the standard dual charge port into the 3,S,X - probably this summer. Why? Good question. Maybe they want to avoid embracing CCS until it's a standard feature on all of their cars. And maybe they've just had problems making the adapters reliable.

Until they put the standard port on their cars?

What are you talking about?

Do you mean you're expecting Tesla to put CCS type 1 ports on new cars in North America?

The current S/X tail light module design wouldn't physically fit such a thing, even if Tesla did it with the 3, and there's no good reason for them to.

I'd also argue that if for some silly reason they decided to do that this year, it would have happened with the project raven updates - which at least in Europe include an updated chargeport to speak CCS.

Reactions: israndy and MP3Mike
Until they put the standard port on their cars?

What are you talking about?

Do you mean you're expecting Tesla to put CCS type 1 ports on new cars in North America?

The current S/X tail light module design wouldn't physically fit such a thing, even if Tesla did it with the 3, and there's no good reason for them to.

I'd also argue that if for some silly reason they decided to do that this year, it would have happened with the project raven updates - which at least in Europe include an updated chargeport to speak CCS.

They’re already putting dual ports on the 3 in Europe. It will happen here on the 3,S,X. And yes, the need to modify the taillights. I’m pretty sure that that will come with the interior refresh this summer. But, I’ve been wrong before. :)

They’re already putting dual ports on the 3 in Europe. It will happen here on the 3,S,X. And yes, the need to modify the taillights. I’m pretty sure that that will come with the interior refresh this summer. But, I’ve been wrong before. :)

European law pretty much required them to, and the cars over there were already using type 2 for all charging including Supercharging.

The situation is very different here, and I don't see any reason to expect the same response.

It would make total sense to eventually offer a CCS adapter in NA. I don't see how it benefits Tesla at all to force everyone to use their own chargers for fast charging as they don't make any money on chargers, and in fact most likely lose money on them. Opening the cars to using CCS would make owning a Tesla so much more attractive, especially in the Seattle area which is super populated and a heavy adopter of EVs, but does not have even a single supercharger within 15 miles of downtown.

Reactions: israndy
European law pretty much required them to, and the cars over there were already using type 2 for all charging including Supercharging.

The situation is very different here, and I don't see any reason to expect the same response.

There's no reason not to change.

1. They'll have developed the hardware for the dual DC ports in Europe - so there's no additional engineering or manufacturing development required.

2. Why would Tesla NOT want people to use other DC chargers? It relieves pressure on the Tesla SC network. And it gives Tesla owners another option. The supercharger network will still be a competitive advantage for the foreseeable future, as long as Tesla wants to keep building it out.

3. For the long term, it makes no sense for any automaker to be in the electricity business - any more than it makes sense for them to be in the gasoline business. They're completely different businesses. I expect that Tesla will eventually sell off the SC network. And I expect that DC charging will be offered directly by the utilities. Yes they needed to do it at the beginning to sell the cars. But that time is going to come to a close.

There's no reason not to change.

1. They'll have developed the hardware for the dual DC ports in Europe - so there's no additional engineering or manufacturing development required.

2. Why would Tesla NOT want people to use other DC chargers? It relieves pressure on the Tesla SC network. And it gives Tesla owners another option. The supercharger network will still be a competitive advantage for the foreseeable future, as long as Tesla wants to keep building it out.

3. For the long term, it makes no sense for any automaker to be in the electricity business - any more than it makes sense for them to be in the gasoline business. They're completely different businesses. I expect that Tesla will eventually sell off the SC network. And I expect that DC charging will be offered directly by the utilities. Yes they needed to do it at the beginning to sell the cars. But that time is going to come to a close.

You mean aside from having to retrofit thousands of stalls and hundreds of thousands of cars to a standard that offers Tesla no advantages while being more annoying for the end user?

Tesla gains nearly the same advantage for far less investment by keeping the cars and Superchargers the way they are and offering a CCS adapter for for folks who want it.

Tesla is in the business of causing the transition to electric cars. That being the case, they'll be in whatever markets they see as useful to that for as long as they see them as useful. They are not merely a car manufacturer.

I recently attempted to use a ChargePoint charger at Mystic (CT) Aquarium (matter of convenience). It was a CCS plug, so I couldn't use it. I can't imagine who is using this "Level 3" ChargePoint unit. ChargePoint (via phone) claims Tesla has an adapter for $300+. ChargePoint (via web) is unresponsive. I don't need ChargePoint (I have free supercharging) so no big deal for me except their website says the Aquarium unit is compatible with my 2015 MS. Anyone have insight on the current use of the CCS plug in the U.S.?

I recently attempted to use a ChargePoint charger at Mystic (CT) Aquarium (matter of convenience). It was a CCS plug, so I couldn't use it. I can't imagine who is using this "Level 3" ChargePoint unit. ChargePoint (via phone) claims Tesla has an adapter for $300+. ChargePoint (via web) is unresponsive. I don't need ChargePoint (I have free supercharging) so no big deal for me except their website says the Aquarium unit is compatible with my 2015 MS. Anyone have insight on the current use of the CCS plug in the U.S.?

I'm not sure I understand the final question.

Currently there is no way for a Tesla to use CCS in the US. A number of us are expecting that to change after the EU CCS adapter becomes commonly available, and there's one report of a statement from a Tesla person that appears to support that.

Most other modern EVs use CCS, so the folks that can use that station would be Bolts, iPaces, Niros, E-Trons and the like.

(Right now there are more Teslas sold every month than all of them combined by a large factor, but they are out there.)

Elektrek said that only the Teslas made after 5/1/2019 could use the adapter. Other cars would need to have a change internally by the service center. Mount Kisco seems to have opened up some bandwidth recently so once they offer this(prob in the next 12 months) we would prob have to get that change

Could be wrong on the date cant remember if 18 or 19.

Elektrek said that only the Teslas made after 5/1/2019 could use the adapter. Other cars would need to have a change internally by the service center. Mount Kisco seems to have opened up some bandwidth recently so once they offer this(prob in the next 12 months) we would prob have to get that change

Could be wrong on the date cant remember if 18 or 19.
Except that was only relevant to the European cars. Not happening here.