Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS fast charging adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
58C4C0A5-5D0D-44BA-9FB4-E6012594DBC2.jpeg
From the ones already installed, I don't think any of them are including J1772. There wouldn't be much point to that. Most places have several level 2 options. The point of this Electrify America deployment is DC fast charging, so it's just CCS and CHAdeMO.
Here is a new one by me that was just installed. But not active yet that is Electrify America but not CCS. But agree that the ones off interstates are probably all fast charge CCS

ChargePoint (via phone) claims Tesla has an adapter for $300+. ChargePoint (via web) is unresponsive.
I am looking at their site right now and the only way to have it show that charger is by selecting CCS Combo, which is NOT the default for our cars. I didn't try the phone as the likelihood of getting the same operator you spoke to is not good. I also checked out the Plugshare site to see what it said about Tesla's and the only reference for that charger was that someone tried to charge their car but a Tesla was parked in the charger spot, obviously not charging. So they were not ICE'd, they were, Telsa'd?

There has to be a better word for that, but it has happened to me too. Before I got my Model 3 I was out in my wife's Mitsubishi looking for power and the spaces I could plug into at the Stanford Shopping Center were blocked by a Model X that was not plugged in, Dick

-Randy

Will there be any DC adapter available to supercharge any American Tesla in Europe?: Type1 to Type 2 or to CCS? Otherwise I must ship my M. S. Back soon. It’s only good for home traffic. Using Chademo and their 100 different charge cards is An Impertinence, especially after having driven a US Tesla Cross Country in the US

Well there's a third party supercharger adapter that apparently works. Here's the link, and yes, I've read reports that it is working for several people. Tesla SC EU\US Supercharger EU\US CCS to US

My question back to you: were you able to get your maps/navigation/autopilot to work?

Tesla can sell $1000 dollar CCS adapter in USA here to profit
that would be a way to deter using those alternative charging networks

Why would anyone in the US want to spend $1000 for a Tesla/CCS adaptor so they can recharge for a lot higher cost than a Supercharger in many fewer places? Electrify America won't match Tesla's network in a decade, if ever.,

I researched in depth several long routes from Maine to Arizona, Florida, Smoky Mountains, and western Ontario. I could not find anywhere that CCS/Chademo offered any significant advantage over existing Superchargers. I also reviewed future EA and future SC, and still did not find any advantages. I was searching specifically for Chademo, and was trying to justify buying an adaptor. DIdn't make any sense.

Reactions: Blup85
Why would anyone in the US want to spend $1000 for a Tesla/CCS adaptor so they can recharge for a lot higher cost than a Supercharger in many fewer places? Electrify America won't match Tesla's network in a decade, if ever.,

I researched in depth several long routes from Maine to Arizona, Florida, Smoky Mountains, and western Ontario. I could not find anywhere that CCS/Chademo offered any significant advantage over existing Superchargers. I also reviewed future EA and future SC, and still did not find any advantages. I was searching specifically for Chademo, and was trying to justify buying an adaptor. DIdn't make any sense.
Currently existing advantage, that's still a little hard to find because EA seems to be rehashing over the same routes that Tesla already did, but there are several long commonly used routes near me that do not have Supercharger coverage, so if Electrify America would get on the ball(!) and cover these routes first, it would possibly make sense to get an adapter:

(1) Boise to Coeur d'Alene, ID. 362 miles
(2) Boise to Bend, OR. 309 miles
(3) Boise to Winnemucca, NV. 252 miles
(4) Twin Falls, ID to Las Vegas, NV. 485 miles

Currently existing advantage, that's still a little hard to find because EA seems to be rehashing over the same routes that Tesla already did, but there are several long commonly used routes near me that do not have Supercharger coverage, so if Electrify America would get on the ball(!) and cover these routes first, it would possibly make sense to get an adapter:

(1) Boise to Coeur d'Alene, ID. 362 miles
(2) Boise to Bend, OR. 309 miles
(3) Boise to Winnemucca, NV. 252 miles
(4) Twin Falls, ID to Las Vegas, NV. 485 miles

I agree there are gaps with Superchargers, and they aren't filled with alternative Level 3. Trying to get to Calgary from anywhere East is problematic at present. Even going across via USA and up from Montana is a challenge. Tesla is filling in the Trans-Canada Highway pretty well west of Ottawa, and there are a bunch of Canadian CCS/Chademo in process. Last time I checked, none of the western Canadian Level 3 were faster than 50 kw.

I agree there are gaps with Superchargers, and they aren't filled with alternative Level 3. Trying to get to Calgary from anywhere East is problematic at present. Even going across via USA and up from Montana is a challenge. Tesla is filling in the Trans-Canada Highway pretty well west of Ottawa, and there are a bunch of Canadian CCS/Chademo in process. Last time I checked, none of the western Canadian Level 3 were faster than 50 kw.
There are bunches of 100 Kw Chademo/CCS stations in B.C.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
And the situation changes year to year somewhat. I bought my CHAdeMO adapter a few years ago when coastal highway 101 in Oregon had great CHAdeMO coverage, but zero Superchargers.

I don't think that is a CCS adapter, that looks like a Mennekes adapter.

At best it's a bad description.

Prior to the Model 3, the European Supercharger plug was a Modified Type 2. It had longer pins than the Type 2 to allow for higher DC current. AC charging supported Type 2. So, if it were real, it would be for use with the older European Supercharger plug, not with CCS.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The ad says it's for charging US Teslas on EU Superchargers. I take this to mean an adaptor which lets US Teslas with the proprietary North American Tesla plug connect with European Union (EU) Tesla Superchargers.

That’s what I saw.

In principle, that means it could be added to the EU CCS adapter to connect a US car to a EU CCS cable - or with judicious modifications to the plug, possibly to a US CCS.

Of course, the whole exercise is a waste if Tesla hasn’t updated the charge port to handle PLC signaling - or even if the US cars have been modified but it is disabled in the firmware until Tesla releases an official adapter.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Why would anyone in the US want to spend $1000 for a Tesla/CCS adaptor so they can recharge for a lot higher cost than a Supercharger in many fewer places? Electrify America won't match Tesla's network in a decade, if ever. .....
wishful thinking? FYI, most of that network is being funded with the billions that the Volkswagen dieselgate generated. Must be nice, commit crimes, & you get to build out a charging Network. btw - that $1,000 adapter will likely come down to around $200 once the Tesla version is out, & it is already being manufactured by Tesla for Europe .... for around $200 us (equivalent)