Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging fights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The greatest part when supercharging my 3 is I get looked down upon from some(i said some, not all) Model S/X drivers thinking I don't belong there using "Their" charger. When I'm in my S, all is fine and dandy. Gotta love it. LOL
That is uncalled for, I love anyone who owns a Tesla and everyone should thanks all the Model 3 owners because without them Tesla would not have made a profit last year. I understand the stupid I’m better than you sindrom, I worked for a Volvo Mercedes-Benz dealership and some of the MB owners where driving the car only for the star.

Reactions: GSP and Big Earl
The greatest part when supercharging my 3 is I get looked down upon from some(i said some, not all) Model S/X drivers thinking I don't belong there using "Their" charger. When I'm in my S, all is fine and dandy. Gotta love it. LOL

That’s nuts. None of us owns any supercharger, they all belong to Tesla. We are all guests in the supercharging spot.

I guess I’m lucky. I’ve never run into a full supercharger so I’ve never had to wait. I’ve met a lot of nice people while charging.

I welcome the 3s. There’ll be scads of them. The full self drive software costs will be spread over all of us. If the Ss and Xs log millions of miles, those 3s are going to log dozens of millions of miles. Every time the 3 scores best in the reviews, my S benefits a bit just by association. Every time someone buys a 3, Tesla is just a bit better off, just a hair stronger. As long as Tesla is around, that’s good for me. The last thing I want is to have a car produced by a defunct car company. And as the 3s continue to sell, there’ll be a need for more superchargers, bigger superchargers, more convenient superchargers. And I benefit from all of it.

So 3s, welcome! I look forward to seeing you at the superchargers, at the service centers, and articles about the 3s in the news.

They need to add a white listing program like Chargepoint. Pull in a SC and the Nav screen should have an accept button and it enters you into a queue. Then you can park anywhere and wait for your turn.

I hate it when I show up at a SC and there are 3 lines. How do I know which one to use? This happens all the time at the Orange charger.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Maybe being older as you say (70s) they value the time waiting to charge more than younger people and are willing to fight over it? I have noticed that as one ages the patience for waiting for things wears thinner...even saw this in my mom and I know I use to be more patient.

Waal, Ah'm 75. I read a book while I'm waiting, and I don't care. Where I get impatient is following the winos down Napa Valley with them doing 35 in a 55. I pass 'em if I get the chance. Which is easy with Tesla. I can be patient if there's no passing line, but if there is, I'm gone. And I charge in my garage and there are no lines. I recommend getting at least a 220 volt 14-50 outlet and quit hogging the superchargers.

Waal, Ah'm 75. I read a book while I'm waiting, and I don't care. Where I get impatient is following the winos down Napa Valley with them doing 35 in a 55. I pass 'em if I get the chance. Which is easy with Tesla. I can be patient if there's no passing line, but if there is, I'm gone. And I charge in my garage and there are no lines. I recommend getting at least a 220 volt 14-50 outlet and quit hogging the superchargers.

You are?! Never would have guessed. Definitely have a youthful spirit. (BTW @roblab gave me my first ride in their Model 3 at the Kettleman meetup last year, which sold me on the car).

Our home set up is a NEMA 14-50 outlet too and I’d highly recommend as well. It’s so effortless to plug in at home and not drive anywhere else and sit waiting. Just go about what you need to at home and great if you charge overnight. We went the 14-50 route as it also provides us with an outlet that can handle power tool equipment.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I will guess you meant “money conscious” here?

If so, you are saying a ~3% car loan isn’t being money conscious? Your cash can do better than that in a variety places.

Nice catch. My point is not what I do with cash, but the fact I have it. I see people who say what is the big deal, it is ONLY $25 if I charge at home. But if you can save $25 why wouldn't you?

In my case I use about 120-150KW a week at .12 so about $14-$18 week or $60 a month. As EV and Superchargers are abundant in my area I can charge during my normal day activities without going out of my way (or even getting rockstar parking in reserved EV charging spots).

As EV charging is free and it take little to no effort for me to use it, why not save $700 a year?

Save your pennies and the dollars will follow.

Reactions: David99
I worked for a Volvo Mercedes-Benz dealership and some of the MB owners where driving the car only for the star.
MB prestige is over. If you caught their recent commercial during the Super Bowl, the best they could come up with was a has-been rapper, Ludacris, rapping and trying to sell you a new MB. I'm assured that Karl Benz rolled in his grave.

Last edited:
That is uncalled for, I love anyone who owns a Tesla and everyone should thanks all the Model 3 owners because without them Tesla would not have made a profit last year. I understand the stupid I’m better than you sindrom, I worked for a Volvo Mercedes-Benz dealership and some of the MB owners where driving the car only for the star.

Actually, Tesla would be making more money if they never made the Model 3. Imagine if they focused their efforts on driving costs down on S and X. Put batteries into storage products.

MAYBE Tesla does better in the long run..
But the ramp vs ROI squarely has made the Model 3 a loss in the immediate term.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: GSP and dfwatt
I have an S. I have free lifetime supercharging. I have as much right to use that charger as you do. The fact that you have to pay for the electricity as you charge, and the fact my use of superchargers was rolled into the purchase price makes no difference.

Those of us that bought the original roadsters, the Ss and the Xs helped finance the company. Had we not, there wouldn’t be a 3. If you like your 3, you owe those X and S owners your thanks at the supercharger, not your scorn.
Well, actually, if the model 3 wasn't or isn't successful, the company will fail, and you will lose your free supercharging. The S and X sales are not enough to keep the company afloat. The success of the 3 is needed for survival. So, really, the S and X owners should be thanking the 3 owners for keeping the company afloat, and their free supercharging available. If not for the 3 owners/buyers, S and X owners lose their perks.

Maybe the solution for those who do not have access to charging at home or work, would be free market? If Tesla would allow use of their technology in private settings, some business could offer paid charching, in places where people can walk to, not close to highways but local convenience stores?
Here is photo from charger at airport in Savannah. As you can see long line but one YOUNG X owner blew right by, to plug himself into one available port. We waited, and eventually told him that there is line and he was like, oh, I did not notice. And by the way, that port does not work...

Attachments

• 20181230_203154206_iOS.jpg
    20181230_203154206_iOS.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 65
Just one data point from a non-average driver: I drive in excess of 20,000 highway miles per year. That's a $1,500 per year Supercharger bill. In 10 years of ownership, that's $15,000 worth of charging. Free Supercharging, while it would benefit me greatly, is not fair to the people who drive less, as they would essentially be subsidizing my travels.

Wow. It appears that you have no confidence in Tesla's ability to perform some kind of statistical averaging or analysis, or any kind of amortization of costs and income in relationship to SC use. Really? Your post suggests that you think that Tesla somehow 'missed' people like yourself, and/or didn't care about the average user/driver? You're kidding, right?

Tesla knows EXACTLY what the average driver might consume in terms of SC access and the notion that it is "unfair" to those who use the network less is like arguing that someone who is sick is being unfair to the healthier insured. All those variations in utilization are part of the cost/user calculus that Tesla made. And their average expectable use cost for lifetime supercharging (first owner only) appears to be right around $5k, because that's what they took off the Model 3 Performance versions price, once that benefit went away.

Variations in use, including extremes, are part of the deal. Those are all incorporated into the model of FUSC. To think otherwise seems foolish, and certainly Tesla isn't stupid enough to neglect the usage patterns you describe. If you genuinely feel that your SC usage is 'unfair', perhaps you shouldn't do it so much. :D:D Just kidding of course.

Reactions: GSP and David99
Actually, Tesla would be making more money if they never made the Model 3. Imagine if they focused their efforts on driving costs down on S and X. Put batteries into storage products.

MAYBE Tesla does better in the long run..
But the ramp vs ROI squarely has made the Model 3 a loss in the immediate term.

I guess I don’t agree with your assessment. Tesla was probably doing okay with MS/MX sales and profit if they wanted to stay small but then we know Elon wants to put a BEV in everyone’s home (Tesla or not).

I thought I read/saw Sandy Munro’s video of the Model 3 teardown where he said that the Model 3 does have a pretty decent profit margin, which surprised many traditional automakers who have always said “can’t make money selling BEVs”. It’s the $35K version of the Model 3 that Tesla is struggling to get the production cost down to yield an acceptable profit, but that’s not being produced yet. Given how popular the size of the Model 3 is, I’d say people don’t necessarily want as large of a car as the MS/MX are. And of course purchase price is a key factor as well. To be a successful volume car company I think you have to have models at varying prices with varying features so just 2 models won’t cut it long term.

I had an S and sold it and have a 3 now. There are plenty of idiot S/X owners, I see them all the time. I saw two 20 somethings occupying stalls in Redondo beach while several long distance travelers were waiting in line. What were they doing? Not charging and using Summon to pull in and out of the slots like kids playing with toy cars. They both lived in the area and when I informed them there was a family waiting to charge to get to LAX from SD they gave me attitude. I finally started taking pictures of their plates and then they left. I run into these type of people often as well as the pull in at 90% SOC and charge to 100 crowd down in Palo Alto. We all know that most of the owners at the Crossroads SC in SM live in condos very close by, this is the nature of the area and the push by Tesla sales people to say they get free charging and don't need anything at home.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Nice catch. My point is not what I do with cash, but the fact I have it. I see people who say what is the big deal, it is ONLY $25 if I charge at home. But if you can save $25 why wouldn't you?

In my case I use about 120-150KW a week at .12 so about $14-$18 week or $60 a month. As EV and Superchargers are abundant in my area I can charge during my normal day activities without going out of my way (or even getting rockstar parking in reserved EV charging spots).

As EV charging is free and it take little to no effort for me to use it, why not save $700 a year?

Save your pennies and the dollars will follow.

Don’t disagree that saving money adds up over time. But you do realize capitalizing on free electricity is costing someone money and surely passed down to all rate payers anyway. Free charging is here to spur on initial BEV growth but at some point will dry up. Even Tesla’s free supercharging for MS/MXs and an ocassional promotion period for the Model 3 has an end game.

I guess I don’t agree with your assessment. Tesla was probably doing okay with MS/MX sales and profit if they wanted to stay small but then we know Elon wants to put a BEV in everyone’s home (Tesla or not).

I thought I read/saw Sandy Munro’s video of the Model 3 teardown where he said that the Model 3 does have a pretty decent profit margin, which surprised many traditional automakers who have always said “can’t make money selling BEVs”. It’s the $35K version of the Model 3 that Tesla is struggling to get the production cost down to yield an acceptable profit, but that’s not being produced yet. Given how popular the size of the Model 3 is, I’d say people don’t necessarily want as large of a car as the MS/MX are. And of course purchase price is a key factor as well. To be a successful volume car company I think you have to have models at varying prices with varying features so just 2 models won’t cut it long term.
I totally agree with this, we have lots of friends who do not want a large car and will not pay the money for the S and X. There are lots of 3’s running around in my next of the woods and without it Tesla would not be in the black.

Reactions: Pkmmte and Tony_YYZ
I totally agree with this, we have lots of friends who do not want a large car and will not pay the money for the S and X. There are lots of 3’s running around in my next of the woods and without it Tesla would not be in the black.

If not for the 3 I would not buy a Tesla. Didn't like the S or X when I test drove it. Both drove like large yachts. I'm glad Model 3 has a better chassis.

Elon wanting to put a BEV in every garage and being profitable are two different things. I'm a Tesla megafan and have too much TSLA exposure but its a very bumpy ride.

However, Elon, myself and many others have probably underestimated how expensive a $35K car is to the majority of the population. :(

A 35K car is 1/30th the cost of a home where you and I live. It's 1/3rd to 1/6th in the majority of the United States.

35K cars will also have the lowest uptake on EAP/FSD as well.

Hindsight is 20/20 but if Tesla wanted to play its cards perfectly, they should have went:

Model S and Model Y, and Model X (Tahoe sized and without falcon wing doors).

The Model 3 IS profitable on a per car basis - Tesla would already be dead if it wasn't. Issue is how much was thrown into the car. You can see the orange bars that indicated the costs of production hell, delivery hell, service hell, etc.

I'm long TSLA to some detriment but I believe they finally do really once they can bring something out like the Model Y without the massive losses that it took for Model 3 go to market.

upload_2019-2-9_8-50-25.png

That is perception but not reality. Look at the expenditures of what it took the 3 to go to market. Your purchases and the 3s running rampant was NOT enough to cover the cash burn. It's fact.