Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "cheating" with sign recognition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

emmz0r

Senior Software Engineer
Jul 12, 2018
Norway
I can't find a similar thread so ..
One thing that annoys me is that it recognizes signs that has always been there. But at the same places it does not read the sign in a temporary construction area that has been there for a year now. It just flat out refuses to recognize them even if it takes the same sign with the same back color in a different spot - always.

Why is this? I suspect Tesla has some markers on the map where a sign is supposed to be. I can't find another explanation.

...I suspect Tesla has some markers on the map where a sign is supposed to be. I can't find another explanation.

That makes sense. Same with posted speed sign. It heavily depends on GPS data but later on, it starts to use the camera too.

I suspect that's the same with stop signs. Maybe it's quicker and easier to depend on GPS data for stop signs until they got more staff to code the real-time camera input.

Yeah this hasn't been my experience as well. In fact, if anything it recognizes things more often than it should. I regularly receive popups about "upcoming stop sign" when now is present, or trying to stop at non-flashing school lights thinking they're a traffic light that has gone out. I actually can't use any of the stop sign/traffic light features around where I live because it's so touchy. Speed sign recognition seems to be fairly straightforward, but admittedly the only construction speed signs I've run into are freeway driving, which it recognizes.

This makes me wonder if tesla does some kind of A/B testing out in the fleet. One user gets a set of options turned on/off, and another a different set, then compares disengagements between the two.

I need the speed limits exactly where there's construction, otherwise I break the speed limit. I am kinda disappointed if this is rhe case
If you look when you activate the autopilot function in Europe you are not allowed or it's not recommended to use autopilot on construction or rounabout only on road with two divider lines. In USA they read all speed signs not in Europe in particular high speed sign in highway

My experience has been I can't rely on it at all. One month it's recognizing just about everything well including cars on side of the street, signs, and cones. The next month it's basically 50/50 on most things like sign and parked car detection. I've stopped having any expectation for it to work as of late becuase it's just so unpredictable

If you look when you activate the autopilot function in Europe you are not allowed or it's not recommended to use autopilot on construction or rounabout only on road with two divider lines. In USA they read all speed signs not in Europe in particular high speed sign in highway
its a normal road with temporary speed limits. no roundabouts and such

I don’t believe it “reads” stop signs. I’m in a rural area and there are locations where it doesn’t “see” the signs, so just blows through. These are not new signs or roads. It must be in the maps. The last update of the maps added some stops it recognized, but also lost some it used to recognize. The same goes for road speed. If there isn’t a speed limit sign on a rural road, the speed limit is 55 by default in Wisconsin. However the last map update added long stretches (10-20 miles) that are straight rural roads and it thinks the speed limit (unmarked anywhere) is 35.

It does actually see some things, like painted arrows on the road, as it displayed a turning arrow in front of my garage, when it actually was just some snow on the ground.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld