Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, that the only evidence so far I see that even points to a possibility of radar units being in short supply. From what I can find GlobalFoundries is a supplier to Bosch.
GLOBALFOUNDRIES 22FDX RF Solution Provides the Basis for Next-Gen mmWave Automotive Radar | GLOBALFOUNDRIES

This is Tesla's radar manufacturer, they used (continental) on the newer cars for years now (before vision only of course).

Continental explicitly said they are facing a shortage months ago

Yes. being a rocket scientist doesn’t have anything to do with being a ML expert.
Maybe Tesla's rockstar engineer and CEO hand-assembling cars at the factory is to blame for all their panel-gap issues 🤯

On a more serious note, could anyone who has a Tesla with radar comment on whether they observe non-phantom braking related slowdowns and limits on speed when using AP for brief stretches of road? When looking through a few YT videos of some folks with the new Tesla Vision enabled (radar-less) cars, this seems to be an infrequent occurrence and I don't recall seeing this before or hearing discussions about it. Not sure if this is somehow related to not having radar, though it isn't entirely clear why that would be or what is actually causing this behavior with Tesla Vision.

I'm not even sure what this is. Is there a thread?
I’m not sure if there is a thread but I have noticed in a few videos that the vision only Ys tend to slow down randomly. In the video I saw, it looks like it is when there is something down the road that is doesn’t recognize.
One example was where there was a sign protruding from an overgrown bush. It didn’t recognize it as a sign until it got closer and then it sped back up. This is purely based on 2 instances in that video so I could be way off but my guess is something on the side of the road is confusing the car.

I'm not even sure what this is. Is there a thread?

I’m not sure if there is a thread but I have noticed in a few videos that the vision only Ys tend to slow down randomly. In the video I saw, it looks like it is when there is something down the road that is doesn’t recognize.
One example was where there was a sign protruding from an overgrown bush. It didn’t recognize it as a sign until it got closer and then it sped back up. This is purely based on 2 instances in that video so I could be way off but my guess is something on the side of the road is confusing the car.

Here is an example (2:22 mark):

There are a few more examples in the video above. That person also has a couple of other videos where that happens

My car will momentarily slow down for flashing lights even if they are not flashing. Certain locations have “maximum allowable speeds“ that slow the car down. Those appear mainly in long-term construction sites that are no longer under construction. It’s like the database was updated for the lower construction speed limit, and not updated again even after the construction is completed.

The advantages and disadvantages for each sensor type:
1622943944708.png

I have radar and that is one of my bigger complaints with the car is that cruise control can't maintain speed. Normally it is related to corners or traffic cones but there have been a few times I can't figure out why the car wants to slow down in an area.

Reactions: orion2001
Camera and radar seem really complementary above. Maxes out every dimension.
I kinda love and hate that graphic. It seems fairly accurate in terms of how it represents the relative strengths and weaknesses of each sensing modality but also invites you to directly compare and superpose them in your mind. In reality, you can't unfortunately treat a radar + camera system as possessing the union of their individual polar plots because it boils down to sensor-fusion, the thing that is in general quite tricky and that Tesla has been having a very hard time with. For example, the radar plot says it is great for "depth" and "velocity", but those are measurements in radar-land which works very differently from the camera systems and it is not trivial to perfectly match up radar signals with things being detected in the visual system. The superior depth and velocity sensing is hampered by the poor resolution and classification capabilities of radar which ultimately make fusing that much more challenging.

At the end of the day, each sensing modality needs to be accounted for as a totality of its pros and cons. Combining modalities can certainly be beneficial, and I'm certainly not arguing that Radar isn't useful to have to augment a camera-only system (I firmly believe radar or lidar should be used to aid a vision-based system). Just pointing out that that series of plots make something more complicated appear deceptively and misleadingly straightforward to reason about.

Last edited:
Here's where that chart came from, with some explanations.
A lidar provider making visualizations that might confuse people to want their product? Here's basically the same data as a more traditional area chart, which hopefully makes it clearer why it's a strange way to visualize. Who picked the ordering of the attributes as on a linear X axis…

sensor type.png

Attachments

• sensor type.png
    sensor type.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 183
Reactions: DanCar
Here is a perhaps funny edge case for Tesla Vision: a truck carrying traffic lights. The visualizations show traffic lights coming out of the truck. LOL.

Is not a car with Tesla vision simply because this video is not coming Frederic m a car in USA and Tesla vision is only USA for the moment this video coming from Canada or europe