Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Complaint Line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if you just messing with me or being serious, but no dealership has to because they don't have paint issues like Tesla, this is a well known issue that has been going on since what 2013? Probably went on with the Roadster too. I got the car with just under 11000 miles and even if I got it new, the spot is paint that flaked off, that likely wouldn't have been there when it was new. I've owned a lot of cars over the past 30 years and paint doesn't just flake off. How many passes are people going to give to Tesla? Its already hysterical seeing people pay fortunes for self driving that is maybe going to hit reality after they sell the car.

EDIT: Pics attached and yes that is what a supposed major car manufacturer does to fix their own manufacturing defect. I could have handed a bottle of touchup paint to my eight year old and she would have been able to not get it in the PPF.

i think you should have inspected the paint before putting ppf on it, it’s really ridiculous to expect them to pay for reapplication of a non oem part. No dealership will do that bro.

You got pics of the hood?

Attachments

• IMG_20200311_134940.jpg
    IMG_20200311_134940.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20200224_144737.jpg
    IMG_20200224_144737.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 72
I'm not sure if you just messing with me or being serious, but no dealership has to because they don't have paint issues like Tesla, this is a well known issue that has been going on since what 2013? Probably went on with the Roadster too. I got the car with just under 11000 miles and even if I got it new, the spot is paint that flaked off, that likely wouldn't have been there when it was new. I've owned a lot of cars over the past 30 years and paint doesn't just flake off. How many passes are people going to give to Tesla? Its already hysterical seeing people pay fortunes for self driving that is maybe going to hit reality after they sell the car.

EDIT: Pics attached and yes that is what a supposed major car manufacturer does to fix their own manufacturing defect. I could have handed a bottle of touchup paint to my eight year old and she would have been able to not get it in the PPF.
Not good at all, but the PPF should of waited until the paint damage was probably repaired by Tesla. Then they couldn’t get away with a touch up job.

Looks like the PPF wasn’t a custom fit, meaning it’s not a wrap around. You still can get that cleaned up without touching the PPF. Take it to a body shop and see what the they can do.

I agree with you 100%, I wouldn’t be happy either.

Fred

Not good at all, but the PPF should of waited until the paint damage was probably repaired by Tesla. Then they couldn’t get away with a touch up job.

Looks like the PPF wasn’t a custom fit, meaning it’s not a wrap around. You still can get that cleaned up without touching the PPF. Take it to a body shop and see what the they can do.

I agree with you 100%, I wouldn’t be happy either.

Fred

Well problem is and I don't know the full history of the 7 months before I owned it, but I'm assuming that flaked off after the PPF was already put on.

With all respect, you purchased a used car with 11000 miles on it. What I see in your photos is more representative of the flaking that occurs after a fascia has been re-painted. I operated a paint and body shop for some thirteen years. I saw a lot of that, and sometimes on me and my paint technicians. It results from poor surface preparation usually, or contamination before refinishing. It is most common on flexible panels like fascias. For that reason I always advised customers with warranty complaints (we were affiliated with a dealership) on these panels to think twice before breaking the factory finish to make a repair. For one thing, at least back in the day, a fascia refinish required the use of flex agents to help the paint film resist cracking from flexing of the panel. This chemistry was not always effective as the finish aged, though I imagine they have been improved from 'back in the day'. Flaking on the joining edge, as in your case, suggests to me that the fascia was refinished while on the car, perhaps even a spot repair. Your complaint might better be pursued with the previous owner, if you purchased from them, or with whoever your retail source was.

I've expended too much energy on this response probably. I'm sure I've told you more than you want to hear. However, I think your claim is unreasonable, on more than one level. Perhaps you can lay off Tesla and your SC for awhile and take care of a problem that is properly yours.

ROFL seriouisly, I agree with the idea of what you are saying, but the car was 7 months old when I got it and covered with PPF for most of its life, I don't know where the carfax is but I believe it was coated and PPFed shortly after it was picked up. There would be no reason to spray the bumper, even TESLA isn't arguing that point because they are well aware their paint work sucks. They just want to make it as hard for customers as possible as they are also well aware that many put PPF on the car, especially on the TESLA without front grills. I was actually going to take the PPF off as I've never had it on other cars, but then without a grill or anything, the whole front will get chipped up.

With all respect, you purchased a used car with 11000 miles on it. What I see in your photos is more representative of the flaking that occurs after a fascia has been re-painted. I operated a paint and body shop for some thirteen years. I saw a lot of that, and sometimes on me and my paint technicians. It results from poor surface preparation usually, or contamination before refinishing. It is most common on flexible panels like fascias. For that reason I always advised customers with warranty complaints (we were affiliated with a dealership) on these panels to think twice before breaking the factory finish to make a repair. For one thing, at least back in the day, a fascia refinish required the use of flex agents to help the paint film resist cracking from flexing of the panel. This chemistry was not always effective as the finish aged, though I imagine they have been improved from 'back in the day'. Flaking on the joining edge, as in your case, suggests to me that the fascia was refinished while on the car, perhaps even a spot repair. Your complaint might better be pursued with the previous owner, if you purchased from them, or with whoever your retail source was.

I've expended too much energy on this response probably. I'm sure I've told you more than you want to hear. However, I think your claim is unreasonable, on more than one level. Perhaps you can lay off Tesla and your SC for awhile and take care of a problem that is properly yours.

I purchased a low mileage used Audi S5 with a similar issue on the front bumper cover. I never once thought Audi had any responsibility or obligation to fix something of unknown origin. Sure, Tesla has a history of paint issues and it's possible it was delivered that way and if so they had an obligation to fix this for the original owner at the time of delivery. Who knows what happened to that car since it was delivered. When you buy a used car its your responsibility to inspect the vehicle and make the seller either fix the defect or find another buyer. I find it even more unreasonable that you expect the manufacture to remove an after market film to fix a defect of unknown origin. Anything you miss when buying a used car is on you, just like it was on me that I missed the paint cracking on the Audi.

^^^This. Everything that happened during that 7 months of ownership is anyone's guess. Plus 11k in 7 months works out to over 55 miles a day which is way above average.

Now, the actual touch-up job was poor, can't argue there. I can definitely do a better job than that. But Tesla can't be held responsible for what happened in that 7 months.

Reactions: hoang51
Anyway, apparently Tesla doesn't have a complaint line or anyone up the chain to deal with. This parker kid looks like he is two years out of college or high school based on his linked in. Tesla really cares about its customers. Still love the car, but I can see this going very badly soon. I can only imagine the issues and complaints with the new roadster who's owners won't be so forgiving of a 250K car.

• Disagree
Reactions: hoang51
Anyway, apparently Tesla doesn't have a complaint line or anyone up the chain to deal with. This parker kid looks like he is two years out of college or high school based on his linked in. Tesla really cares about its customers. Still love the car, but I can see this going very badly soon. I can only imagine the issues and complaints with the new roadster who's owners won't be so forgiving of a 250K car.
Tesla is not going under because of refusing repairs of unknown origin on used cars with after market crap in the way. No car company does this. You’re being *completely* unreasonable and don’t have a valid complaint. Sorry. Facts of life.

In fact, if I were a shareholder and found out they were doing repairs like yours for free I would be pissed.

Tesla has zero accountability. I’ve had documented issues like, UFSC not being implemented, premium data turned off, as well as some other significant undelivered software options. Tesla just ignores many dozen if not hundreds of emails and when they do rarely respond they say it’s not their department and gives you another and then another, who says the same thing and then the circle repeats. That is the problem with direct sales and no dealer accountability. I really like Tesla cars and have spend a tremendous amount of money on brand new Tesla cars but will likely buy an EV from a major manufacturer when they get competitive offerings.