Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla confirms new 82 kWh battery in 2021 M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla didn't "confirm" anything. Electrek is just regurgitating stuff from other TMC threads: Model 3 Refresh?!

Also, I'll drop this in here for reference. This data is from the documents Tesla submits to the EPA.

20201027-m3y-epa-bat-cap-png.603003

Tesla didn't "confirm" anything. Electrek is just regurgitating stuff from other TMC threads: Model 3 Refresh?!

Also, I'll drop this in here for reference. This data is from the documents Tesla submits to the EPA.

20201027-m3y-epa-bat-cap-png.603003
If they didn't confirm anything then is this document issued by Tesla fake?
It clearly states 82 kWh

Attachments

• Tesla-Model-3-2021-82-kWh.jpg
    Tesla-Model-3-2021-82-kWh.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 285
So it would appear that the new cells are currently reserved for Performance models only.
That's a possible short-term scenario. I don't expect Tesla would make a dedicated pack just for P models over the long-term.

It clearly states 82 kWh
It's obviously not fake.

I take issue with the headline. The "journalist" did not get Tesla to confirm anything. The author is just speculating.

Can't wait to see if these are able to pump any extra electrons into the gogo machines and we start seeing faster 1/8 and 1/4mile times. Not expecting much, but every little bit helps.

So it would appear that the new cells are currently reserved for Performance models only.
Apparently Model 3 SR+ and P and the Model Y P are getting the new cells for now.
https://twitter.com/BillWri90307793/status/1326456385345712128

As Panasonic switches production lines over, the regular AWD 3 and Y will get the new cells as well, but it takes time to switch lines over and they can't just flip a switch.
https://twitter.com/BillWri90307793/status/1326571495057891328

If imported cells from Panasonic have the new chemistry (as Panasonic mentioned is happening earlier), then it's likely that the Model S and/or X are also getting the new chemistry. Maybe just one or the other at first as they switch lines over, too.

Apparently Model 3 SR+ and P and the Model Y P are getting the new cells for now.
https://twitter.com/BillWri90307793/status/1326456385345712128

As Panasonic switches production lines over, the regular AWD 3 and Y will get the new cells as well, but it takes time to switch lines over and they can't just flip a switch.
https://twitter.com/BillWri90307793/status/1326571495057891328

If imported cells from Panasonic have the new chemistry (as Panasonic mentioned is happening earlier), then it's likely that the Model S and/or X are also getting the new chemistry. Maybe just one or the other at first as they switch lines over, too.

Somewhere in those tweets it's claimed that SR+ is getting the 82 kWh pack...don't know how much I'd believe that, but it brings up an interesting idea...

@verygreen found that there is a hidden battery type in recent software labeled "336", so if the SR+ truly does have a 82 kWh pack, this could be an upgraded range that is unlockable on the SR+

Somewhere in those tweets it's claimed that SR+ is getting the 82 kWh pack...don't know how much I'd believe that, but it brings up an interesting idea...

@verygreen found that there is a hidden battery type in recent software labeled "336", so if the SR+ truly does have a 82 kWh pack, this could be an upgraded range that is unlockable on the SR+
They’re cell limited. There’s no logic to giving SR+ cars extra locked cells when they, apparently, don’t have enough for the LR AWD cars.

I’m pretty sure the guy you are quoting has zero idea what’s going on.

The SR+ are being delivered already but the LR AWD has not begun yet which would make sense if they are needing to ramp up production of the new batteries.

The funny part about all this is that the original receipt posted with the 82kwh is supposedly for a LR not a P.

Not to mention the fact that with the 2021 refresh the listed range for the SR+ and P increased by approximately 5% while the listed range for the LR AWD increased by approximately 10%.

This has been known to likely be the case for over a month, since late October, through inference from the EPA documents. Post to this effect here.

Preliminary EPA Data for Model 3 AWD & Model 3 P 2021 Released

It clearly states 82 kWh

These are just numbers on a piece of paper. Nominally the battery is claimed by Tesla to be an 82kWh pack.

We can do some math on this, with known capacities and the claims about the increased capacity.

Prior packs: 79.5kWh (pretty consistently has been in this ballpark in EPA, it's a good estimate for 2018-2020 pack capacities). (Note that in some recent Tesla gov't documents similar to what you posted, these have been labeled as "75kWh" - so clearly the capacity on such labels is just a very rough guide.)

New packs: SMT reads back 80.2kWh, so EPA value would be around 81kWh based on past experience (EPA test value was 80.8kWh as graphed above by @Zoomit, and as I reported here in detail when the document was released over a month ago)

If we actually believe a true usable 5% capacity increase (eventually) we can say that in future, the new pack may be expanded in EPA testing to allow:

79.5kWh*1.05 = 83.5kWh. (EPA test energy)

Note, this isn't happening yet, and we have no idea whether it will ever happen. Also note that SMT readbacks will never show such a value, since they are always offset lower from the EPA values (for energy of 83.5kWh you'd expect maybe 82.5kWh in SMT). I imagine the capacity limits are driven by safety concerns and validation of the new cell construction safety profile. I guess people with SMT should start paying close attention to the voltage limits (high and low) on the new Performance pack and compare to prior readings on the older cell type, to see if they are obviously different. You'd expect them to be if they're artificially limiting capacity...I think. Perhaps @Zoomit could comment on that.

Anyway, if you view it from that perspective, you have nameplate 75kWh packs with 79.5kWh capacity, and 82kWh packs with 83.5kWh (potential) capacity. Again, to be clear, right now the Performance packs have about 81kWh capacity, reading out in SMT at about 80.2kWh.

We'll see what the future holds! I've said for over a month that the new "82kWh" pack in an AWD non-P vehicle would yield EPA range of around 370 rated miles. But right now they don't appear to be building them this way. To get that (approximately), you have to get a Performance vehicle and find a way to put the new 18" aero wheels and new MXM4 tires on it. Which sadly is not a bolt-on possibility. And ignore the incorrect constant. And they'd have to unlock just a little bit more capacity...you'd only get ~363 rated miles right now.

Last edited: