Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Corsa 2nd Event is Jan 27th!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people are totally stock, i'd say only 25-30% have modifications based on the first event. You really don't need upgrades unless you're going for a fast time. I ran totally stock the first time and had a ton of fun (even without track mode).

If it's your first time on a track, I think it's actually better to run stock before doing any modifications. The stock car is actually pretty darn capable!

I love how our Model 3 handle itself that's for sure.

I think it's a mix. I'm hoping to go with upgraded suspension and wheels/tires, but might not get the parts in time. If that's the case, I'll go and enjoy it in stock form.

What suspension and wheels/tire brand and size if you don't mind me asking?

Read the requirements and they say this:
Either a TOW HOOK or some TOW POINT is highly recommended on the FRONT (and recommended on the REAR) of your car before going out on track. If you do not have a tow-point, we will be forced to figure one out on the fly!

What's this all about? Where do we get those? And the phrase "figure one out on the fly" seems like a recipe for car damage.

I think you need to be there around 730ish, drivers meeting is around 8. Many people drive up the night before and stay at the Buttonwillow Inn for like $40, its also literally next to the supercharger.
Is that a camp grounds? What's the address for that?
Maybe 2-3 full speed laps after a warm-up lap, but you only do 6-7 full speed laps per session anyway. Oddly enough my best time with full power was a 2:18 and then even with power limiting i still did a 2:20, so it's not a massive reduction in power like you might see on a Model S.
So you had no Track Mode then?

The PS4S that comes with the 20 inch wheels are actually pretty wide. It has 8.8" thread width and the shoulder is made of pretty soft and grippy compound. The stock 18 inch tire is Michelin MXM4 and it only has 7.8" thread width. So you get a whole inch more contact patch with the same 235 profile. If you have the P3D with PUP, you'll be more than OK.

And if you don't, I got a set for sale =)

What's this all about? Where do we get those? And the phrase "figure one out on the fly" seems like a recipe for car damage.

Our cars all have tow hooks in the frunk under the carpet, you pop out the little cover on the front bumper with your thumb and install the tow hook (it's in the manual).

Is that a camp grounds? What's the address for that?

You can sometimes camp at the track if you really want, but i'd suggest the motel next to the Buttonwillow supercharger. Drive up the night before and charge your car for the next day.

Address is 20681 Tracy Avenue, Buttonwillow, CA 93206

Reactions: SD_Engnr
I was waffling back and forth on this, but today I pulled the trigger and signed up. Looking forward to meeting more of the Tesla go fast family. Hope the weather is nice California winter weather.
Since this will be my first track event with the P3D+, I will probably be taking it easy mostly. Go slower before you go faster and all that.

Last time I was at Button willow was Dubwar, and that was almost 20 years ago. Plus I will be rocking my stock P4S tires, so don't want to overheat and totally chew them up.

My helmet arrived today!

Is there stuff to keep the spectators busy? Curious if I should bring the spouse or a friend. I wouldn't want them to be bored. (not that watching Teslas race around a track all day is boring!)

Edit: On second thought, maybe the wife should bring our Model X... :)

My helmet arrived today!

Is there stuff to keep the spectators busy? Curious if I should bring the spouse or a friend. I wouldn't want them to be bored. (not that watching Teslas race around a track all day is boring!)

Edit: On second thought, maybe the wife should bring our Model X... :)

I was wondering the same thing.

Which helmet did you go with?

Not a ton of other activities near by, though they have a small indoor area with seating and a TV. Keep in mind that while our vehicles are pretty silent, there will be other regular cars racing in other groups so you will definitely hear the exhaust of people flying around (some people may mind if trying to read a book or something idk).

Honestly i always find that time flies by in between the sessions and never ever worry about being bored, but then again I could talk about Tesla's for days :D

Heads up that 25 of the 30 spots are already filled, sign up now if you are still thinking about it!!

Which helmet did you go with?

Dont make my mistake and go cheap. I got a motorcycle helmet that meets Snell ratings and works for this event/SpeedVentures, but it's not SA rated for some other events. I'd recommend spending a little more and getting one that is Snell SA rated.

I'll be selling my moto style helmet in the next few weeks and getting a better one.

Not a ton of other activities near by, though they have a small indoor area with seating and a TV. Keep in mind that while our vehicles are pretty silent, there will be other regular cars racing in other groups so you will definitely hear the exhaust of people flying around (some people may mind if trying to read a book or something idk).

Honestly i always find that time flies by in between the sessions and never ever worry about being bored, but then again I could talk about Tesla's for days :D

Heads up that 25 of the 30 spots are already filled, sign up now if you are still thinking about it!!

I didn't realize this was a mixed event, with other cars allowed on track. Whats with the exclusive Tesla on track language?

Read the requirements and they say this:
Either a TOW HOOK or some TOW POINT is highly recommended on the FRONT (and recommended on the REAR) of your car before going out on track. If you do not have a tow-point, we will be forced to figure one out on the fly!

Not totally sure, but what I believe to be true is that its for getting your car off track in the event of an oops moment. Others please chime in if I am not correct.

What I believe they are saying is that if you do not have a tow point available, they will figure one out on the fly in interest of getting the other drivers back on track more quickly. If you are in a spot dangerous to other drivers and they must pull you out from the rear, they might damage your car if you have no rear point. From what I understand they will usually do everything they can to not damage your car, but this disclaimer is here in the event you crash, and your car must be removed for safety. Its certainly possible to damage the front tow hook if you got into it with another car, so you'd want a backup.

What I believe they are saying is that if you do not have a tow point available, they will figure one out on the fly in interest of getting the other drivers back on track more quickly. If you are in a spot dangerous to other drivers and they must pull you out from the rear, they might damage your car if you have no rear point. From what I understand they will usually do everything they can to not damage your car, but this disclaimer is here in the event you crash, and your car must be removed for safety. Its certainly possible to damage the front tow hook if you got into it with another car, so you'd want a backup.

Exactly, but IMO a front tow hook is plenty and i doubt you will even need that.

They won't be on the track at the same time. The track is being shared, and we will have our own time/"sessions" where it's only Tesla's on course.

Yep. Track rental costs a small fortune as it includes things like the aforementioned tow truck and other support personnel/insurance requirements. Tesla Corsa rents one of the ~4 run groups to put on this event, though hopefully in the future we can have an entire day with ALL of the run groups being Tesla's - that is the goal and by joining this event you are helping to make it a reality :)

Do you have any idea as to the start time for the 4 sessions? Should we expect to be out there most of the day or are the Tesla groups concentrated in the morning or afternoon?

If I was to assume I'd say the Tesla run groups would be spread out to give people time to get back from superchargers, but that always looks ugly when assuming goes wrong.

If I was to assume I'd say the Tesla run groups would be spread out to give people time to get back from superchargers, but that always looks ugly when assuming goes wrong.

Most of the run groups are spread out evenly, so typically they are 15-20 minutes each and start at 8AM with the advanced groups. Last time we had 5x, with 3 before lunch then a 2 hour break to supercharge followed by 2 more sessions.