Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Corsa 2nd Event is Jan 27th!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't get any hate, but some good natured ribbing at times.

Some comments:
"Its like a library when you guys are out there"
"Its harder to hear whats going on, when do the Tesla go full throttle? When watching a race spectators gauge the drivers skill or lack of it through the corners by hearing what the motor is doing"
"It gives me hope, even if the ICE becomes obsolete someday, that electric cars can race, and do well, and this sport wont die"

Reactions: SD_Engnr
"Its harder to hear whats going on, when do the Tesla go full throttle? When watching a race spectators gauge the drivers skill or lack of it through the corners by hearing what the motor is doing"
Can they hear the tires talk in the corners? Is it loud enough to carry from at least close portion of the track to spectators? So no sound = "yeah, they're not trying", lots of sound = "dude, get some lessons", smooth, consistent modest squeaking through the corner = "pushing it to the edge but not over". I'm even more curious now to experience in person what it's like to have a Tesla drive by at speed.

What was the response from the gassers as to having EVs on the track?
Not been to a circuit yet but the Autocross people I've experience so far have been pretty good. Some good natured ribbing, a few are clearly put on edge by the "freaky" nature of observing the car, but mostly a lot of really upbeat stuff and general interest.

I've had comments from the grid crew saying when I start moving to get into start position their instincts scream at them them to leap over and stop me because clearly it's an un-braked, broken vehicle rolling off out of control. :) I had an instructor ask if he could ride with me because he has been considering getting a BEV and wanted to see what it was like inside the Model 3 driven like this. He'd had had a "test drive" of one but this is a bit beyond what I assume Tesla people (and the local police for that matter) would be comfortable with on a test drive. ;) Unfortunately due to running in a different heat and work assignments we've not been able to do that yet.

Can they hear the tires talk in the corners? Is it loud enough to carry from at least close portion of the track to spectators? So no sound = "yeah, they're not trying", lots of sound = "dude, get some lessons", smooth, consistent modest squeaking through the corner = "pushing it to the edge but not over". I'm even more curious now to experience in person what it's like to have a Tesla drive by at speed.

That is one aspect that you can actually hear better. Its pretty easy to hear the tires that are singing, at an appropriate slip angle, vs screaming at a way inappropriate slip angle. For me personally because I ran with the advanced group, there were relatively few that were consistently getting the tires to sing, as i was only able to spectate the beginners group.

Last edited:
There were professional photographers there and part of the Tesla Corsa experience is that we all will be getting copies of the photos and videos. From talking with Ben at @UnpluggedP he said they would upload the photos so all the participants can download what they want.

Should be more in the next few days.

Tesla Marketing was there, too. That will be interesting to see what their coverage looks like!

It was really fun and safe. I ran stock, and spun out for the first time after pushing myself and realized that is pretty forgiving, at least vs. spinning out on a public street. I was shaking at first during the spin, but learned to feel my car. Definitely a fun experience.

Hoping Tesla Corsa will hold an event somewhere closer to North Cal.

Reactions: caskater47
Glad to hear you had a great time too. Club tracks without many walls are nice and safe compared full scale racetracks where the walls are needed to keep spectators safe.
I think Thunderhill in Willows California is an option too, but charging infrastructure is less available for sure. Buttonwillow is pretty perfect in that respect. There's something like 20 superchargers within 20 minutes.
Then you have Laguna Seca, which is definitely a real deal full scale racetrack. Would be cool to have a Tesla Corsa event there for us NorCal folks.

Buttonwillow is pretty perfect in that respect.
BW seems like the most compatible track in California for Tesla drivers at this time. But I look forward to the day when on-track DC fast charging is pervasive. We’re at least a decade from that. We need *a lot* more track-capable BEVs to be built for that. Right now Porsche is in the next best position to help this cause behind Tesla.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Tesla did some motorsports backing? Probably distracts from the core mission, but still most other manufacturers have a performance division. Maybe once they mature a bit more.

I'd also love to see a series of films like BMW did. Some really great stuff came out of that. Its awesome marketing as well.

- The Star with Madonna

- Beat the Devil with James Brown, Gary Oldman, and Marylin Manson

There are several others that are good as well. I was thinking Tesla could get rid of some lemons or buybacks, or damaged M3 and write them off then send to various Directors or Producers for use in some short films.

So I'm curious, did anyone have pad deposits on their rotors after the event? Vibrating brakes? This was a common occurrence with BMWs that were tracked hard with the stock pads.

I didn't have stock pads for this event, but did for 3x times before and had no problems. The Performance stock brakes are actually fairly capable on the track, not sure about the others.

I didn't have stock pads for this event, but did for 3x times before and had no problems. The Performance stock brakes are actually fairly capable on the track, not sure about the others.

Great news! Glad to hear it. Dealing with brake issues was always one of the hassles for me in tracking my BMW M3. Either driving day to day with the pad deposits (vibration) or swapping pads before and after the event, along with all the other prep required.

Great news! Glad to hear it. Dealing with brake issues was always one of the hassles for me in tracking my BMW M3. Either driving day to day with the pad deposits (vibration) or swapping pads before and after the event, along with all the other prep required.

One of my favorite things is that we can use regen braking for ~90% of street usage, which saves the pads and rotors from wear. This means you can likely run a more aggressive pad than you otherwise would on an ICE car, of course it still needs to have good friction at low temps so you can't go full race car ;)

I'm all about less work prior to track days. I love being able to leave the same brake pads in place on street and track and even leave my wheels/tires alone since i run RE71Rs on the street (though that is a bit aggressive, ill admit).