Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Corsa 2nd Event is Jan 27th!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's ok to have a passenger ride along, then?

Yes as long as they are also wearing a helmet and over 18 i believe, we had people riding together last event - its tons of fun. Also not sure if it was mentioned anywhere but it's also good to wear 100% cotton clothing, though not really super critical at this level of track day (plus we have reduced fire risk, right :D)

@UnpluggedP can you confirm that passengers are OK if 18+ with helmet?

Last edited:
Anyone who has been to Button Willow before, does 30 cars in a group seem like a lot? I'm a bit worried about the mix of skill levels since we aren't grouped by levels like normal track events and the amount of traffic that'll be present. Additionally it's a bit less structured than what I'm used to (BMW CCA events) where all new folks are paired with an instructor and thus creating a much safer environment for everyone.

Anyone who has been to Button Willow before, does 30 cars in a group seem like a lot? I'm a bit worried about the mix of skill levels since we aren't grouped by levels like normal track events and the amount of traffic that'll be present. Additionally it's a bit less structured than what I'm used to (BMW CCA events) where all new folks are paired with an instructor and thus creating a much safer environment.

It's a full session but i wouldn't say its going to be crowded. The first session will be Lead-Follow for everyone, which will really help newcomers understand the racing line and find flag stations. I believe the second session may also be lead-follow for the newer people/those that want more help refining their line and also have point-by passing for others (the lead-follow people would start last).

Once we get some times set and can start people based on time, the traffic is really not much of an issue at all. I was in a run group with 20+ people at Buttonwillow the other weekend and when i started first i encountered zero traffic (since they're all behind you!). Also if we're just good about doing point-by's, everyone will have a blast!

You might be a bit....paranoid :D Sorry, couldn't resist with the username.

It's a full session but i wouldn't say its going to be crowded. The first session will be Lead-Follow for everyone, which will really help newcomers understand the racing line and find flag stations. I believe the second session may also be lead-follow for the newer people/those that want more help refining their line and also have point-by passing for others (the lead-follow people would start last).

Once we get some times set and can start people based on time, the traffic is really not much of an issue at all. I was in a run group with 20+ people at Buttonwillow the other weekend and when i started first i encountered zero traffic (since they're all behind you!). Also if we're just good about doing point-by's, everyone will have a blast!

You might be a bit....paranoid :D Sorry, couldn't resist with the username.

Gotcha, thanks for the info!

I am a bit paranoid because at track days unless you buy track insurance (which is $$) we are all self-insuring our cars with any incidents. Pretty much no street insurance covers track events even if they are educational ones. I've tracked one of my other cheaper cars and I can stomach an incident (maybe someone else's fault even) totaling it but not my P3D+ :) Many people learn this one the hard way.

Update - Tesla Corsa now has 33 people signed up and due to the great interest there will be two run groups instead of just one!

This means that there will be more room on the track and we will be able to group people by skill/speed as well.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Well insurance exists for just our sort of cases. Hagerty will write a one day policy with a $7.5k deductible for $433. Not a terrible deal if you are a bit paranoid. Its only going to cover major damage with that deductible, but might be worth it for some. I am sure other carriers will have similar prices, maybe price check them.

Well insurance exists for just our sort of cases. Hagerty will write a one day policy with a $7.5k deductible for $433. Not a terrible deal if you are a bit paranoid. Its only going to cover major damage with that deductible, but might be worth it for some. I am sure other carriers will have similar prices, maybe price check them.

On the insurance front, i've thought about this a good bit and i really don't think its necessary at Buttonwillow. There are VERY few places where you can hit something if you go off track and tons of empty dirt to slide into. That said, most people won't even come close to going off-track on their first time out - it mainly happens when you try to push and go fast which is totally avoidable and up to the driver.

Was that near Lost Hills? That's the one spot i know of that has soft dirt and slight roll-over potential (in normal cars). Here's a map i've thrown together with the racing line, braking locations and relatively safe corner speeds:

upload_2019-1-8_21-32-34.png

It was right before cotton corners, but this was 17 years ago, and happened where there was a 6' high berm of soft dirt.
From the videos I don't see that berm anymore. You are 100% right we all need to manage our own speeds and keep it within the limits. When exploring limits, best practice is to slowly approach them, rather than dive bomb them. Some people can do that even under adrenaline filled racetrack conditions, some can't. As long as we don't get our egos involved, and stay safe I am sure it will be fine.

I never heard an answer about the riders allowed, and for Ego reasons I can see why it might not be but as a non racing event I thin most people wont be looking to show off. Should I plan on adding another helmet to my speed ventures order? Can I do that at the track?

I never heard an answer about the riders allowed, and for Ego reasons I can see why it might not be but as a non racing event I thin most people wont be looking to show off. Should I plan on adding another helmet to my speed ventures order? Can I do that at the track?

Ben from Unplugged confirmed that passengers over 18 with helmets are OK. I think you can get another helmet at the track but there's a chance they run out so you might want to reserve one in advance.

Ok I'll look into that. By track set I assume you mean they are not streetable?

They are definitely streetable friction/temp wise and barely make any noise (sometimes make a slight squeak when coming to a stop). These are a step above the sport pads they sell on their website which are already a step above stock.

We have regen and barely use brakes on the street anyway so can run more aggressive pads if you wanted.

New Brake Pads on P3D - Much Firmer!

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
When looking through the UP website, no friction brakes are shown for the P3D, except the Carbon ceramic ones. Got a Part number?

Is replacement as simple as most cars? Remove calipers, Open BV, push in piston with C-clamp or equivalent close BV, replace pads/spring clips, replace calipers, purge system with mity-vac. Probably put some HP fluid in there too while I am at it.