Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Corsa 2nd Event is Jan 27th!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When looking through the UP website, no friction brakes are shown for the P3D, except the Carbon ceramic ones. Got a Part number?

Is replacement as simple as most cars? Remove calipers, Open BV, push in piston with C-clamp or equivalent close BV, replace pads/spring clips, replace calipers, purge system with mity-vac. Probably put some HP fluid in there too while I am at it.

These aren't the track pads, but here's a link to their "sport" pads.
Unplugged Performance Sport Brake Pad Set for Tesla Model 3

They are definitely streetable friction/temp wise and barely make any noise (sometimes make a slight squeak when coming to a stop). These are a step above the sport pads they sell on their website which are already a step above stock.

We have regen and barely use brakes on the street anyway so can run more aggressive pads if you wanted.

New Brake Pads on P3D - Much Firmer!

I'm tempted to go with the same pads, but think I'm going to wait until after Tesla Corsa to see how it goes on the stock set up + SS lines + Motul fluid.

It's not the front brake pad that you should be worry about, it's the rear that's going to be a problem. The rear overheats easier because because it is used in track mode as e-diff where the computer brakes the rear inside wheel so that power can be send to the outside wheel. That plus a smaller rotor and smaller pad area will result it in overheating. Take my advice and do a cool down lap where you do most of the braking with regen only after 2 hot laps.

The kicker is that there is no part number for the rear pads only. Service can only order whole caliper package. I am pushing my advisor to escalate the issue so we can buy the rear pads by themselves.

One important thing is when you pull off the track after a heavy session, make sure to put the car into tow mode so that the parking brake won't engage. Obviously make sure you're on a flat surface before doing that.

Sounds good. Since it's only a few days away, I'll probably just leave the stock fluid in.

Besides a helmet (if we're not renting one at the track), anything else we should bring? I've got a portable air inflator, lug wrench, torque wrench, and blue painters tape. Wasn't sure what the track provides.

Besides a helmet (if we're not renting one at the track), anything else we should bring? I've got a portable air inflator, lug wrench, torque wrench, and blue painters tape. Wasn't sure what the track provides.

That should be plenty, any tools/other items i'm sure you can borrow from fellow drivers! I always bring a chair but i almost never end up using it, Buttonwillow has a few tables under their pavilion that you can hang out at. Also last time Ben brough water/snacks for the Corsa drivers, but it never hurts to have some extra!

Also worth mentioning there is a snack bar on site and they have drinks/food for purchase so that's nice as well.

• Informative
Reactions: jgrgnt and SD_Engnr
Is replacement as simple as most cars? Remove calipers, Open BV, push in piston with C-clamp or equivalent close BV, replace pads/spring clips, replace calipers, purge system with mity-vac. Probably put some HP fluid in there too while I am at it.
Replacing the pads apparently does NOT require removing the calipers. You push out two pins, remove a clip, slide out the old, slide in the new, re-install clip and pins.

DIY: Front Brake Pad Replacement

no times posted! did everyone get a participation trophy then? JK, just wondering what times people were putting up?

Fastest was 1:58.78 (Cameron R)
2nd fastest was 2:04.848 (@kbecks13)
Followed a few in the 2:05 - 2:07, and then the rest of us in the 2:11+

I could be wrong on who was actually the owner of the fastest lap, because the name was listed as Jeff Ringer and had a number that didn't match any of the cars. So, the assumption is it was Cameron.

Either way, it was a blast!

Fastest was 1:58.78 (Cameron R)
2nd fastest was 2:04.848 (@kbecks13)
Followed a few in the 2:05 - 2:07, and then the rest of us in the 2:11+

I could be wrong on who was actually the owner of the fastest lap, because the name was listed as Jeff Ringer and had a number that didn't match any of the cars. So, the assumption is it was Cameron.

Either way, it was a blast!
wow thats great, he bested his time attack by quite a bit!, wish I could have been there, I've never been on a track before.

What a great time! Good to meet new people, learn new perspectives and race lines, and just generally having fun.
I started off with a 2:23 in heavy traffic, but was one of those in the 2:11 once I got going. I could see a lot of places where I was leaving a lot of time on the track. I could see a 2:08 with a bit more practice and some better brake pads and fluid.

Brakes are needing an upgrade for sure, I pretty easily boiled the fluid. As soon as Unplugged has the new front and rear set for the performance brakes ready I'm definitely in, along with new brake fluid as well.

Most everyone stayed out of contact, though there were several off track moments. Seemed like a few folks got a bit wild on the last session, but thankfully nobody got hurt that I know of. Once we went to red flag, I suddenly lost my nerve to run any more 2:11 and slowed to a 2:15

Congratulations to both Kevin and Cameron, with a 2:04.8 and a 1:58.8 respectively. Evan with a 2:05.3 was third overall and the fastest with a stock P3D, a very impressive time. Hopefully not too much damage from that off track excursion.

Anyone looking for lap times can use the race hero App. All the times are posted there.

Brakes are needing an upgrade for sure, I pretty easily boiled the fluid. As soon as Unplugged has the new front and rear set for the performance brakes ready I'm definitely in, along with new brake fluid as well.

Most everyone stayed out of contact, though there were several off track moments. Seemed like a few folks got a bit wild on the last session, but thankfully nobody got hurt that I know of. Once we went to red flag, I suddenly lost my nerve to run any more 2:11 and slowed to a 2:15

I was pleased with just the fluid and line upgrade, but after riding along with Kevin, there's quite a noticeable improvement with the upgraded pads that he was running.

I, on the other hand, had an empty track ahead of me for the first time after that red flag. I was doing well until Phil hill, when I carried a tad too much speed, and an admittedly bad line, and went off into the mud. The white interior really shows the dirt and mud well... :oops:

Thanks! That was a great day, amazing to see so many EV's at the track. I really loved the reactions from all the track workers (like singing Electric Avenue in the pits :D)

Speed Ventures has results up as well: Speed Ventures - Results

I enjoyed when at one point the guy said, 'Start your engines! No really, start your cars....' Or when he would whisper to us, and we could all still hear him. The reactions from the non-Tesla driving spectators were great, too.

Overall, a real great time, and great to meet folks in person.

Oh, and a before and after picture:
:cool:
20190127_152538.jpg

:eek:
20190127_172450.jpg

Yea, I went back and forth whether I was going to do just the fluid upgrade, but my feeling was that if I had better fluid, I'd have really cooked the pads. I'll do my brake upgrades all together, fronts and rears, as it seems both are very critical. When the rears got very toasted, the turn in was reduced, as the brake based torque vectoring couldn't do its thing quite as easily.

Fronts alone plus fluid would have probably put me most of the way there, but since stock rear pads aren't even available for the P3, I'll hold off cooking them too badly until there's aftermarket replacements, or at least stock replacements.

Phil Hill was a classic spot to lose it. Either a bad line, or braking late both sent a few cars for a spin. Also the Off ramp was a hard corner to master, it looks tighter than it is on the exit, but is very tight on the entry, and has a bit of off camber as it opens up, which together spun a few drivers who weren't ready for that back end to kick out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbecks13
Fantastic event and great group of people. I'm terrible with names, but I'm pretty sure I met some of you guys there. @kbecks13, it was nice chatting with you and Mike at the Bakersfield SC after the event.

This was my first time, so I'm satisfied with the 2:18 I posted. Did the beginners group to start off, but it was so slow that I was able to use regen braking only the entire time! So for the next three sessions, I decided to take my chances with the advanced group. Second session, I ran with Track Mode off and had power restrictions and a soft brake pedal after about three laps. For the third session, I used Track Mode and was able to braking harder without issue, and I seemed to have full power the entire time. Track Mode seemed to help with turn-in at Off Ramp and Cotton Corners. Phil Hill was definitely tricky. The MSM P3D two cars in front spun and went backward into the mud, and I did a nice little slide at some point.

But yeah...so much fun. Really makes me appreciate the car. The acceleration is just bonkers. Can't wait for the next event!

Last edited:
I was pleased with just the fluid and line upgrade, but after riding along with Kevin, there's quite a noticeable improvement with the upgraded pads that he was running.

I, on the other hand, had an empty track ahead of me for the first time after that red flag. I was doing well until Phil hill, when I carried a tad too much speed, and an admittedly bad line, and went off into the mud. The white interior really shows the dirt and mud well... :oops:

I enjoyed when at one point the guy said, 'Start your engines! No really, start your cars....' Or when he would whisper to us, and we could all still hear him. The reactions from the non-Tesla driving spectators were great, too.

Overall, a real great time, and great to meet folks in person.

Oh, and a before and after picture:
:cool:
View attachment 372626

:eek:
View attachment 372628
Come on what d'ya say, I can hardly wait...

• Funny
Reactions: SD_Engnr