Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have emmc problem with mcu1, you get mcu2 at discounted price.

Edit: The relevant bit in Tesla announcement:

"I opted to purchase the Infotainment Upgrade, will I receive reimbursement from Tesla? 
If you paid for Tesla’s Infotainment Upgrade after Tesla Service diagnosed that your vehicle’s eMMC was malfunctioning due to accumulated wear, you may be eligible for reimbursement up to the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade."

This is not clear yet. If you read further in the page, you'll see they don't plan to announce anything until Feb 2021. I am presently scheduled to get the eMMC fix later this month. Asked about a discounted Infotainment Upgrade instead. Service's reply: NOPE.

This is not clear yet. If you read further in the page, you'll see they don't plan to announce anything until Feb 2021. I am presently scheduled to get the eMMC fix later this month. Asked about a discounted Infotainment Upgrade instead. Service's reply: NOPE.
We can be hopeful that Tesla might discount the price we paid (and refund/credit us) for the MCU2 upgrade and saved both themselves and us from going through a eMMC daughterboard/MCU1 replacement effort. I believe that ultimately, of course will as little cost as possible, that Tesla would rather we had MCU2 in the cars than MCU1. So they might help. They currently have in excess of $ 8B in the bank. They might be able to help out with MCU2 costs. I suspect the number crushers internal to the company are driving this train up to the gate for the last few top bosses to decide. And they are spending time from date of the Warranty Adjustment Program announcement to Feb to collect data and run number costs.

Aren't we all feeling like fools at this point ?

Beholden to some ADHD addled man-child whose primary focus is digging tunnels, closely followed by sending his children to Mars.

Fix our damn cars Musk.
Now be fair, I'm sure they've been working very hard on a new '2020 Christmas lights display' Easter egg using the headlights and indicators , just in time for the 25th, deadline met!
** Note 1, those with burnt out DRL's or water filled tail lights may not share the same level of Christmas joy as others.
** Note 2, those with MCU1 may experience 'Clark Griswold' mode where the lights will not turn on.

From what I hear on the other forum and poster Akikiki, after a reboot or two the MCU works as it used to, crash free.
eeeeeee Yep, My S was upgraded at the end of March. I've not had a single crash or lockup since the upgrade. I think, I have rebooted it myself twice since, just to test that the IC is now subordinate to the MCU. Reboots were not necessary on mine.

Before I upgraded to MCU2, my MCU1 wouldn't complete an OTA update. It could not finish the download. It would hang at 60-ish% over and over. Now, wow. I wish I was that regular. (lol)

• Funny
Reactions: c0smicdirt
Oh oh. Had my first unintended reboot/crash after the daughter card replacement a month or two ago.
Last night while sitting in the driveway with headlights on and HVAC going, the MCU went dark and stayed that way. 20secs later, the IC went *white*, not blank. Headlights and HVAC remained on, but still no MCU reboot. Another 30secs later the IC goes dark and car shuts down (HVAC and headlights turn off).
Pushing brake etc. does nothing. Getting worried at this point. Finally, after a couple mins, the Tesla T appears on the MCU and reboot completes shortly thereafter and I go on my merry way. Only error msgs logged are the typical AP not available because it was still in the reboot process. No further I’ll effects today. Knock on wood!

Aren't we all feeling like fools at this point ?

Beholden to some ADHD addled man-child whose primary focus is digging tunnels, closely followed by sending his children to Mars.

Fix our damn cars Musk.
Well said. He treats his customers the same way as his employess - with no respect.

I'll be voting with my wallet. My next car won't be a Tesla, unless there's a dramatic change in the company's treatment of customers..

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
I had the EMMC chip in my 2015 Model S replaced last week. A few thoughts for others:

1. I was having increased occurrences of MCU reboots, and several IC reboots.
2, Initially Tesla also told me about "clearing the EMMC remotely", and asked for times and dates of reboots. I documented several of the dates and times, but as they asked for more, I simply told them (via text) - "you and I both know what is happening here - please order this part and lets get this done". They ordered the part. I know this is probably VERY variable depending on location and Service Center.
3. Things like wi-fi network, homelink settings, etc were wiped by the chip replacement. Was kind of a PIA to re-setup things like homelink.
4. In case anyone is wondering, other than stability, there is no performance increase with the new chip - my MCU1 operates exactly as it has for the last 3 years. No improvement. But I was simply looking for stability.

Good luck all...

I had the EMMC chip in my 2015 Model S replaced last week. A few thoughts for others:

1. I was having increased occurrences of MCU reboots, and several IC reboots.
2, Initially Tesla also told me about "clearing the EMMC remotely", and asked for times and dates of reboots. I documented several of the dates and times, but as they asked for more, I simply told them (via text) - "you and I both know what is happening here - please order this part and lets get this done". They ordered the part. I know this is probably VERY variable depending on location and Service Center.
3. Things like wi-fi network, homelink settings, etc were wiped by the chip replacement. Was kind of a PIA to re-setup things like homelink.
4. In case anyone is wondering, other than stability, there is no performance increase with the new chip - my MCU1 operates exactly as it has for the last 3 years. No improvement. But I was simply looking for stability.

Good luck all...

I just have to ask, no increase in browser speed? How about speed of maps tileing?

I just have to ask, no increase in browser speed? How about speed of maps tileing?
eMMC replacement either on the daugherboard or the MCU1, is not going to be faster than it ever was. eMMC is just storage/ place for the firmware/OS to run and load to the CPU. We are not getting a faster CPU in this process. The larger one/new eMMC have more "breathing" space and its an improvement over the flaky 8 GB Hynix eMMC's controller. Seems like everyone is saying its going to last longer. But its like a iron/steel anvil is going to last longer than a wooden anvil.

Last night while sitting in the driveway with headlights on and HVAC going, the MCU went dark and stayed that way. 20secs later, the IC went *white*, not blank. Headlights and HVAC remained on, but still no MCU reboot. Another 30secs later the IC goes dark and car shuts down (HVAC and headlights turn off).
People used to use the line "imagine Microsoft made cars" followed by statements like:

For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.
Occasionally your car would die on the highway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

Tesla have managed to make this an actual reality :(

I've taken my 2016 MX 90D (build date 11/16) with all eight cameras and HW3 computer and MCU1 to the service center for issues with the MCU freezing multiple times and being told that I needed to clear the navigation history. I've reported multiple issues with firmware updates not completing of having to be reinstalled multiple times before they would actually update and always told yeah that happens sometimes but it's normal for over the air updated. Several weeks ago I took my MX in because the charge port safety lock would not disengaged and allow me to charge. While my car was in the shop they gave me an older loaner to use while mine was being worked on. While in the loaner I noticed how quickly maps came up without tilling and going black during interstate interchanges, and also noticed how smoothly the voice command feature worked. So while my vehicle was in the shop I told them to look at the voice command and MCU unit. When I picked up my car they said everything was normal with the MCU and that the voice command was working as intended and that it is always improving so it should get better with time however the tech did flash it for me to reset it. Prior to leaving I tested the voice command and it would not recognize anything that I said so they took it back in and said they had to order some part that was working only intermittent. I got my car back and the voice command works maybe one fifth of the time I try to use it. After receiving the email regarding the warranty extension program I set up an appointment to determine if my firmware is up to date and to have the repairs done on my MCU. I received a call from a Tesla Ranger informing me that my firmware for my particular MX was up to date even though most cars are off version 2020.36.11. However he did tell me that he looked into the system and could clearly see that my vehicle is experiencing the MCU failure and scheduled me an in Service Center appointment to have the daughter board replaced. I really would like to upgrade to the MCU2 with the radio that allows me to keep my Sirius XM but I am choosing to spend my $2900 on the extended warranty at this time.

Dec 9th 2020 Update
So I had my appointment for the replacement of the daughter board and the tow assembly for my Model X. The tow assembly was installed, however I was told that the memory was good. I was told that my issue was a corrupted file in my driver profile so they flashed the memory back to the factory new setting. So now when the new updates are finally released that are free from all the bugs then my issue will be completely resolved. Prior to forking over $2400 for the extended warranty I made sure to let the service advisor know that if that does not correct the issues I've been experiencing for the past nine months I will not be paying a deductible for the same issues reported previously. All of my settings were cleared out so I have been busy reprogramming the Sirius and the three garage doors my car controls, but for the short distance I've traveled, I have noticed that my maps are not tiling and or freezing. Nor is my browser just sitting as a blank pale gray screen, I can actually brows although it is much slower than using my phone. We'll see if it was just a corrupt file.