Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CPO Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can buy a new/inventory 75D for $73K so if you are looking for a couple of years old CPO 70D, I would aim for a price around $50K. Lower the better obviously, but I would not pay more than the low 50s.

That sounds about right. I recently took delivery of a 2015 70D w/ 11,700 miles for slightly over 53k. It didn't have AP1 activated on it originally but the software was activated as part of the CPO process. No other options were on this car.

It's been a fantastic car in the first 1k miles I've put on it.

I watch Hank's site religiously (...as a way of validating my purchase and calming my anxiety about spending so much money o_O ) and saw a 70D listed and sold (or was removed from the site) this week for around 59K.

That sounds about right. I recently took delivery of a 2015 70D w/ 11,700 miles for slightly over 53k. It didn't have AP1 activated on it originally but the software was activated as part of the CPO process. No other options were on this car.

It's been a fantastic car in the first 1k miles I've put on it.

I watch Hank's site religiously (...as a way of validating my purchase and calming my anxiety about spending so much money o_O ) and saw a 70D listed and sold (or was removed from the site) this week for around 59K.

Congrats! That's a great price, especially when considering the overpriced CPO inventory as of late.

CPO prices on ev-cpo and tesla inventory seem outrageous. Are they even even selling much at listed prices? Lowest priced 60 currently is $59k. Buying new is a no brainer at that price and hope nobody is purchasing at these prices. Before getting the X I was set on a CPO S, new S or fully loaded 3. After 3 review came out I decided on X + LR 3. Waiting till white interior comes on the 3 and loving the X. Last July there was a no AP car with high mileage for $26K, and I was about place order for a blue AP1 85 for $48k. Seems prices have gone up 10-15K since last year which seems bizarre for a car. Would highly recommend a AP 2.5 car and dont think a used S at 60k price point is worth saving $5K over a brand new base S with EAP after factoring rebates.

Reactions: P85Dave
CPO prices on ev-cpo and tesla inventory seem outrageous. Are they even even selling much at listed prices? Lowest priced 60 currently is $59k. Buying new is a no brainer at that price and hope nobody is purchasing at these prices. Before getting the X I was set on a CPO S, new S or fully loaded 3. After 3 review came out I decided on X + LR 3. Waiting till white interior comes on the 3 and loving the X. Last July there was a no AP car with high mileage for $26K, and I was about place order for a blue AP1 85 for $48k. Seems prices have gone up 10-15K since last year which seems bizarre for a car. Would highly recommend a AP 2.5 car and dont think a used S at 60k price point is worth saving $5K over a brand new base S with EAP after factoring rebates.

You are absolutely right. CPO prices are absolutely outrageous and I feel sorry for people who buy some of these cars, as they are better off buying a new or inventory car. So it seems their CPO program currently is not really about selling cars at a reasonable price but to overprice them so much as to compel people to instead consider buying new.

We would like to get rid of our last ICE and open to going to CPO route but certainly not at the current CPO prices. I doubt what they are doing currently to fix CPO prices is sustainable.

Right now is an awful time to buy a CPO car. If you are look to buy a CPO car, contact your local gallery and perhaps they will find you an unlisted car. I find these "unlisted" listings to be totally ridiculous as you now need to find a responsive sales advisor and follow up with them almost daily to see what they have available as pricing seems to change daily by large amounts.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricious
Tesla is making some changes as of Monday to their CPO policy.

They will no longer be refurbishing their CPO cars.

Cars they take in on trade or lease returns will be sold as is and cars that don't pass their damage inspection will wholesaled to 3rd parties. (Texas Auto Direct)

This new change will result in lower prices on CPO cars, according to Tesla.

We will see this change and a bunch of cars offered online as of Monday, most likely Wed in Tesla time LOL.

Tesla is making some changes as of Monday to their CPO policy.

They will no longer be refurbishing their CPO cars.

Cars they take in on trade or lease returns will be sold as is and most pass their damage inspection or they will wholesale the cars out to 3rd parties.

This new change will result in lower prices on CPO cars, according to Tesla.

We will see this change and a bunch of cars offered online as of Monday, most likely Wed in Tesla time LOL.

Wait what?

The whole point of buying a CPO car from the manufacturer is that you get a well maintained almost pristine car at a slightly higher cost with the peace of mind that the car has been carefully inspected and the manufacturer will stand behind it. We once bought a CPO Mercedes from NY sight unseen because we knew the car would be delivered like new, and it was.

I doubt in this price segment for used cars, people will be okay with buying used car costing so much to find it is not refurbished. Tesla is not selling used Toyota Corollas and even certified used Toyotas have standards :rolleyes: This sounds like a step in the wrong direction.

They should refurbish all CPO cars and only sell CPO cars that are in outstanding condition and auction out the rest. Not bring everything down to the lowest common denominator.

From what I gather, they will only be selling top condition CPO cars. Any car that needs reconditioning will be wholesaled. It's supposed to reduce Tesla's costs. I don't think it's a bad thing at all. Seems pretty standard to me. I mean when was the last time you looked at a car at a Carmax....here they are pretty shitttty.

Reactions: Electroman
From what I gather, they will only be selling top condition CPO cars. Any car that needs reconditioning will be wholesaled. It's supposed to reduce Tesla's costs. I don't think it's a bad thing at all. Seems pretty standard to me. I mean when was the last time you looked at a car at a Carmax....here they are pretty shitttty.

I guess we both mean the same thing then. I've always thought Tesla should CPO only cars in pristine condition as when you pay $50-60K+ to buy a used car, that's what most people expect. Tesla will still have to refurbish cars somewhat though such as fixing curb rash, minor paint blemishes, replace tires, etc., so the cars are brought up to the same standard.

I think this is a great plan by Tesla so they don't waste so much money refurbishing cars in poor condition. I guess this means they will no longer sell as CPO cars vehicles that have had the crap beatenen out of them as loaners?

Not sure about the condition of CarMax cars, but go look at CPO Audi, BMW, and Mercedes cars. They are all practically in like new condition and this is the expectation for most people looking to buy a used car at these prices.

When I was told this the first thing I asked was if they will be refurbishing curbed rims and I was told no lol.

Yeah good luck with that is all I have to say. Wait until people who are used to buying high end CPO cars in pristine condition from dealers are shown vehicles with curbed/damaged wheels and other blemishes that would never be sold as a CPO car by another comparable high-end manufacturer.

Tesla can't just call it "CPO" and not do anything to actually "Certify" it by refurbishing certain aspects of the car to bring it up to the same standard. Without the "certification" it is not really a CPO :rolleyes:

Agree with @P85Dave... the whole point of CPO, regardless of manufacturer, is that you’re getting a used car that is “above” a run-of-the-mill used car. You pay a commensurate premium for the certification.
@Plan B, where are you getting this info if you don’t mind me asking? Hopefully it’s not as drastic as it sounds. “No refurb” is not realistic IMO, but agree they probably won’t go as far as they do now such as replacement of many items. As an example, my refurb list showed replacement of all four door cups if I recall correctly due to signs of wear. That’s something they can nix going fwd. Curbed wheels must be repaired as it’s a visual detractor to the sale if not. Same thing for bad paint and dings/dents.

Agree with @P85Dave... the whole point of CPO, regardless of manufacturer, is that you’re getting a used car that is “above” a run-of-the-mill used car. You pay a commensurate premium for the certification.
@Plan B, where are you getting this info if you don’t mind me asking? Hopefully it’s not as drastic as it sounds. “No refurb” is not realistic IMO, but agree they probably won’t go as far as they do now such as replacement of many items. As an example, my refurb list showed replacement of all four door cups if I recall correctly due to signs of wear. That’s something they can nix going fwd. Curbed wheels must be repaired as it’s a visual detractor to the sale if not. Same thing for bad paint and dings/dents.

Can the buyer request a refurb list? I’m scheduled to pick up a CPO car next week (Picking it up out of state — otherwise it would have been ready to pick up in a week) — I wonder if that’s because they’re not refurbing them to the same level now?

I got the 70d w/ 37k Miles, AP1, cold weather package (no other upgrades) for $54,100. Wonder if it’s worth forgoing the deposit if they’re lowering their standards, with such a quick turn around, it sounds like they are..

Guys this new policy worries me. I actually cancelled a custom order on a new Model S because the price was just right on a CPO. I'm afraid I might walk away on delivery day and lose the $1000.

I’m in the same boat — my experience so far w/ CPO has been just ok (mostly because I purchased across state lines), and if they’re not refurbing the car, that would obviously make it worse.

I bought right before the end of the quarter and they told me I could pick it up within the week! (Which I thought was awesome at the time!). I thought they were trying to get the sale recorded by end of quarter, but maybe they’re just doin little to no refurbing.

We’ll see in time, hopefully they come through on their end and it’s all good!

One thing everyone seems to forget when factoring in the federal tax incentive is that you have to pay the price up front without the tax credit that you won't get until next year. Then, it only applies if you owe enough to use it. The real immediate cost and monthly payments unless you increase the down payment to cover the amount of the credit is actually substantially more.

This is why a used car can be a better deal unless money is no object in which case go for the top priced model!

Let's not get too excited for now because we are going on conjecture based on a rumor at this point.

If they indeed go ahead and start selling CPO cars without refurbishing then would be the time to throw a collective fit. :eek:

IMHO the whole point in buying a CPO car is that there is a STANDARD that all cars meet. It should not be a crap shoot whether you get curbed wheels, or excessive exterior or interior wear. Go on the Audi, BMW, or Mercedes Web sites and look up dozens of CPO cars where they show actual photos of the car being sold and you will see how consistent the quality is and the vehicles are offered in immaculate condition. This consistently in quality is the whole premise of CPO.

Not a rumor, anyone can call their sales person and get this info. It just might not be released until Monday. I am a little worried as well so I am requesting clear pics of the next car I buy.
Sorry, but that holds even less water IMO. There’s already a ton of CPO inventory. More being “dumped” Monday won’t change anything. No manufacturerer is interested in putting sh*tty cars out there under the CPO moniker. While pricing as of late has been ludicrous (no pun intended), they want people to be impressed and pass on the word/referals.
Apparently I lucked out, not only with my actual car, but with my OA and process across the board. I was in constant contact with her and she gave me much insight into the CPO program. Goal is to deliver as close as possible, within as much reason as possible, a “new” car. Any car that was smoked in, airbags deployed, major panel repair, etc., does not get considered for CPO.
I asked for, and received, the refurb work order, but that’s not a guarantee. Other people have asked and not received it. A couple others did. I can see why they wouldn’t want to provide it. Most may nit pick it to death. For me, it added some stress as I’m very picky. For example, mine listed “Crease in hood.” And I freaked out a bit as I assumed it was in a fender bender. After talking to my OA, she said that’s the typical “damage” most owners do to the hood from incorrectly closing the frunk. Said that’s on 80% of the refurb work orders and is fairly minor vs a real crease from an accident or other drop damage.
I still stand by my previous response. They may reduce what’s covered after people see the car in person, but they will still strive to deliver a pristine car. So for those with impending deliveries, I wouldn’t over stress about this. Normal stress is with the sight unseen process is normal.
Time will naturally tell regarding CPO changes.