Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised there's been no speculation about the 70kWh battery being somehow related to the recently announced Roadster 70kWh battery upgrade. It seems they'd have to be different dimensionally because of the shorter Roadster wheelbase, but it's hard to imagine they're not related.

I have a view based on having AWD in both Rio de Janeiro and Miami. Comparing modern AWD with two wheel drive, the directional control and stability are noticably improved in heavy rain. In other situations I cannot honestly think there is too much value in the tropics on well-maintained roads. Both my cities are noted for periodic heavy rains and both have periodic local flooding. Apart from the Tesla AWD performance advantages, the control improvement would make me choose it, as i did.

S85D 270 miles range 5.2 sec 0-60 155 mph (king of range with no loss of top speed)
You need to update your table: S85D is 4.4 sec 0-60mph (Model S | Tesla Motors)
Tesla 85D.png

My ideal spec (base model S85) with possible sunroof just got circa £1500 ish cheaper. Now £58780 (UK). Thanks mostly to the tech package being absorbed into the main car... and gives me the option of saving a further 4k by going for a 70D - more range than the 60 and with supercharger built in!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm surprised there's been no speculation about the 70kWh battery being somehow related to the recently announced Roadster 70kWh battery upgrade. It seems they'd have to be different dimensionally because of the shorter Roadster wheelbase, but it's hard to imagine they're not related.

The Roadsters battery is a big square block that sits behind the driver. Totally different shape. Possibly same chemistry / # cells.

The P85D range is further - the EPA range is less because of taking the standard option of a 90% range charge - not the old method of 100% range charge.
Still the "watt per mile" appears worse on the D models (based on people's posts) - despite Musk's bravado about increasing range despite the weight increase.

I wonder which is lighter S85 (more batteries one motor)
70D - less batteries, 2 motors, 2 inverters, extra components (liquid cooling lines) extra aluminium to support all of that.
I suspect the S85 is still lighter.

No, no, no. We've been all through that. The P85D range is not based on 90% charge even though that was a common speculation (myself included) when the range was first announced.

Depends if "best selling" means from the beginning or since the D was available.

The super-rich - people with $100k + earnings per year are going to go for the best... but they're probably still in the minority. There's probably been a surge of people getting the P85D - the mega rich / super-obsessed will trade up their P85+ / Signature for the D even if they lose $30-40k on something maybe only 1-12 months old.
If 3% had S40's I imagine that 25% probably go for the P85D and >50% for the S85. Most people couldn't justify the $20-30k difference for 2 seconds... get the Model S that everyone's seen the youtube "insane" reaction for - but not pay that premium - happy with 0-60 of 5.5s

It seems the main point of this switch to a higher battery capacity has been missed. The Model S60 had 208 miles of range. Elon has gone on about 200 miles being the minimum acceptable range for an electric vehicle. The Model X is heavier and less aerodynamic and was rumored to take a 10% efficiency hit. It probably wouldn't have hit the 200 mile target with a 60 kwh battery. Therefore they probably raised the capacity of the base S to match the base Model X which had to be raised to 70 kwh to reach the 200 mile threshold.

It seems the main point of this switch to a higher battery capacity has been missed. The Model S60 had 208 miles of range. Elon has gone on about 200 miles being the minimum acceptable range for an electric vehicle. The Model X is heavier and less aerodynamic and was rumored to take a 10% efficiency hit. It probably wouldn't have hit the 200 mile target with a 60 kwh battery. Therefore they probably raised the capacity of the base S to match the base Model X which had to be raised to 70 kwh to reach the 200 mile threshold.

I 100% agree. A 60 kWh Model X would likely have serious trouble navigating the supercharger network. It makes no sense to have 2 low volume batteries in production at once, so the 60 was dropped.

LOL, You've missed the real reason.

I have said in plenty of threads I predicted the 60 was doomed following the changes to ZEV credits. Everyone mocked me.. But the 60 never met the 275 mile range for ZEV level 5 accreditation.

Surprise surprise, the 70D just squeaks in.

Way to go Tesla. You've just screwed the used market for both the S60 and 2015 non-D model 85's in the UK. TBH I'm glad I've had at least 8 months of ownership to justify the inevitable tumbling of residuals.

Real world the 70 will be within 15 miles of a RWD 85 in my opinion, who's going to sacrifice 15 miles for AWD on the used market?

It will still fit a weekend duffle bag or emergency items for example. Definitely less useful but considering most cars have an engine up there better than nothing.
Hence the word "almost" ;)

I still havent used it more than once on mine due to it being so small that I fear risk of denting the hood more than needing the space so far.... Id rather stuff a bag on the floor inside the car since my two small boys dont need the floor space yet:)