Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised there's been no speculation about the 70kWh battery being somehow related to the recently announced Roadster 70kWh battery upgrade. It seems they'd have to be different dimensionally because of the shorter Roadster wheelbase, but it's hard to imagine they're not related.

The "new" roadster cells still don't have the energy density of the existing Model S cells. I doubt they are related.

The website and others report 0-60 on the 85D as 4.4 seconds.
I believe that Tesla is not acting on what you or I individually want, but rather on what is ordered and what they can make.

Originally it was 5.2 though same as the RWD car. If Tesla hadn't "lied" about the performance no one would have bought a P85 before the D came on stream.

Magically the BHP figure has also gone up too, 380 -> 422.

Now the P85 is gone, and the 70D has a quicker acceleration than the 85RWD, so they have to come clean to sell the S85D or people on design studio will just go for the 70D, which TBH is now pick of the fleet unless you must have the absolute best, or 15 miles real world range is important to you. (and will bring down ASP)

LOL, You've missed the real reason.

I have said in plenty of threads I predicted the 60 was doomed following the changes to ZEV credits. Everyone mocked me.. But the 60 never met the 275 mile range for ZEV level 5 accreditation.

Surprise surprise, the 70D just squeaks in.

Way to go Tesla. You've just screwed the used market for both the S60 and 2015 non-D model 85's in the UK. TBH I'm glad I've had at least 8 months of ownership to justify the inevitable tumbling of residuals.

Real world the 70 will be within 15 miles of a RWD 85 in my opinion, who's going to sacrifice 15 miles for AWD on the used market?

While laughing out loud you've failed to convince me that I've missed something. This is a move to bring the Model S in line with the X. History shows (referencing Model S 45 kwh) that the configurations with a small percentage of orders (or are not economically viable) are nixed or altered. Elon has said himself that the $7,500 tax isn't that significant in the greater scheme of things (It helps some, definitely). It's removal would slightly reduce some of the "economic forcing function," in his words. Don't have a go at me because you're disappointed about residuals in the company's overseas market. They're interested primarily in selling the most compelling new cars possible with the highest ASP. The used car and CPO market is just in addition to other sales activities. A Model X with less than 200 EPA miles might not be compelling (enough) in their view.

Edit: Confused ZEV credits with tax credits.

Last edited:
While laughing out loud you've failed to convince me that I've missed something. This is a move to bring the Model S in line with the X. History shows (referencing Model S 45 kwh) that the configurations with a small percentage of orders (or are not economically viable) are nixed or altered. Elon has said himself that the $7,500 tax isn't that significant in the greater scheme of things (It helps some, definitely). It's removal would slightly reduce some of the "economic forcing function," in his words. Don't have a go at me because you're disappointed about residuals in the company's overseas market. They're interested primarily in selling the most compelling new cars possible with the highest ASP. The used car and CPO market is just in addition to other sales activities. A Model X with less than 200 EPA miles might not be compelling (enough) in their view.

I suggest you read up on ZEV credits.

Specifically how much Tesla receive (not in the federal grant scheme, but from cross selling other manufacturers credits).

Part of every sale of a Tesla is to the end customer, but a corresponding sale is also made to the likes of Ford and GM to allow them to continue selling ICE's.

Figures are super secretive, but at least $7k per car based on Tesla's last SEC filing. Changes made to ZEV ratings meant a 60 being worth less credits than an 85 this was bad news from a gross margin per vehicle. The 70D being able to claim the same rating as an 85, as the threshold is 275 miles NEDC range, addresses that balance.

The super-rich - people with $100k + earnings per year...

Wait.. that's how "super rich" is defined now? :rolleyes: I would call "super rich" people with >$1m earnings per year. And I'm sure those people would call "super rich" those with >$10m earnings per year. :)

One new significance of the new specification page is the layout is totally broken on IE 9 on my work laptop! Works on the Chrome browser.

Not surprised. IE 9 was released over 4 years ago! That's an eternity in internet time. Time to upgrade, dude! (or alternatively just never use IE unless you're downloading Chrome, Opera or Firefox.)

I have a feeling that my s60 just lost 10k in resale value this morning. Oh well, its not like I have any intent on ever selling it, my plan is to drive it for at least the next decade. The highlight of my day every day is still getting to drive me dream car, and the 70D will not change that!

I feel the same way Rifleman… my S85 may have just lost 10k in value, but I'll be loving it every day for at least 7 years… dream car drive every time.

Gas cars look more and more antiquated every day! ;) We can pass them so effortlessly it's like it's not even fair :tongue: . like that movie "The Final Countdown" where F-14's were leaving propeller planes in their jetwash lol.

Last edited:
The German specifications table is interesting:

Capture.PNG

Though there's none of that nonsense about anticipated gas savings, there are two different figures given for the power of each vehicle: their horsepower and their "nominal motor capacity." So the 70D is 334 horsepower (I think our units are different), but has a nominal capacity of 522 horsepower in the motors. Then you have 367 horsepower and 385 potential horsepower for the S85, 428 and 522 for the 85D — and then the P85D confuses the lot by only showing its "nominal motor capacity" and not its listed horsepower.

It's odd how all of that works. Either way, I'm very happy with the 428/522 PS I have coming to me next month. :)

Last edited:
The German specifications table is interesting:

Though there's none of that nonsense about anticipated gas savings, there are two different figures given for the power of each vehicle: their horsepower and their "nominal motor capacity." So the 70D is 334 horsepower (I think our units are different), but has a nominal capacity of 522 horsepower in the motors. Then you have 367 horsepower and 385 potential horsepower for the S85, 428 and 522 for the 85D — and then the P85D confuses the lot by only showing its "nominal motor capacity" and not its listed horsepower.

It's odd how all of that works. Either way, I'm very happy with the 428/522 PS I have coming to me next month. :)
The Model S was (is?) listed with 92hp/69kw in the German registration paperwork (Fahrzeugschein). The challenge is that the rules for how horse power / Pferdestärken are to be calculated are defined by the local regulations. And in Germany you are required to use the "Nennleistung" which is the power the motor can constantly produce. And with the Model S that value is significantly lower than what it can create over short periods of time. But as anyone who has tried to drive a Model S on a track will tell you - the motor(s) in the Model S get hot quite quickly and then throttle power quite dramatically.
I'm not sure if this is enough to explain the chaos on the German ordering page, but it may be related to some of that confusion.

Since Jalopinik says the obsidian black is "really black", I was wondering if they're just joking or if its truly a deeper black (if that's poss.) w/metallic flake. If so, that would look sick with 19' tsportlines (like yours yobig :smile:)

Since Jalopinik says the obsidian black is "really black", I was wondering if they're just joking or if its truly a deeper black (if that's poss.) w/metallic flake. If so, that would look sick with 19' tsportlines (like yours yobig :smile:)

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

I thought that was the whole point--they were going to use the existing Model S cells to increase capacity.

No. The existing Roadster cells are ~2.2Ah cells. The Model S are ~3.35Ah cells... about 50% more capacity (assuming roughly equivalent cell nominal voltages, which they are close to).

If they had used those cells in the roadster, the existing 53Kw pack would have become nearly an 81Kw pack in it's new form. But it's not... it's around 70Kw

No. The existing Roadster cells are ~2.2Ah cells. The Model S are ~3.35Ah cells... about 50% more capacity (assuming roughly equivalent cell nominal voltages, which they are close to).

If they had used those cells in the roadster, the existing 53Kw pack would have become nearly an 81Kw pack in it's new form. But it's not... it's around 70Kw

You are making two assumptions that are difficult to accept--that they'd necessarily use the same number of cells and that they'd go backwards with battery tech. Consensus was that they used the Model S cells and not something more advanced.

There are plenty of people who prefer RWD. Myself included.

I suspect the 70D-S85 range difference to be more like 25 miles or more...I have yet to see the current D models meet their touted range estimates although Tesla keeps promising software to do so. I have my doubts.