Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybertruck Orders Hit 146K in Two Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has received 146,000 orders for the Cybertruck, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter.

The automaker’s all-electric pickup was unveiled this week in Los Angeles and has received quite a bit of chatter since. The company set out to build something different than what’s currently available in the truck market, and they certainly achieved that.

The pickup’s peaked roof, tall bed sides, solid strip of headlights across the nose, and bare-metal finish set the truck apart. Not to mention performance, which the company says is on par with a Porsche 911.

The pickup is available for order in three versions:

Single motor rear-wheel drive with 250 miles of range, 7,500-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph capabilities in under 6.5 seconds, for $39,900 Dual motor all-wheel drive with 300 miles of range, 10,000-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph in under 4.5 seconds for $49,900 Triple motor all-wheel drive with 500 miles of range, 14,000-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph in under 2.9 seconds for $69,900 (though this version won’t start production until late 2022)

Musk said most orders are for the dual motor (42%), followed by the tri-motor (41%), then the single motor (17%).

Tesla is asking for a $150 refundable deposit to reserve the vehicle, which is slated for production in 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
$40,000 - CyberTruck or Model 3 ?
Only IF the size of the CyberTruck is a problem would I buy the M3. And it would be my first truck.

strange realization, I guess

Might then start doing handyman repairs ...

All other Tesla Models may never get a re-fresh. Cost/vehicle just trends down.
May have to go to a Museum just to see 'em - painted cars.

For the Tesla roboTaxi Network - which would you prefer to rent out?

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
The Dodge 1500’s we have at work suck over $100/week in fuel. $4800/year. How much would a Cybertruck cost to charge? Let’s say 1/3 that cost which is likely really a high estimate.

So $3300/year savings at least. We keep our trucks 10 years. 33 grand savings. Will the Cybertruck cost that much more than a Dodge 1500? Maybe. But we haven’t factored in maintenance costs yet. ;)

Plus if you are a green guy...... even, more gooder.
You are spot on. I spend hundreds on diesel every week driving to our forestry sites. I am fairly sure that the fuel savings will largely finance the cost. Then there is the stainless steel. Hit a tree turning in the dark yesterday-long day I was exhausted. In the cybertruck no worries, in the ford I bent the side step. Sigh...tough xmas present at the end of a tough month. The f350+ trucks eat front end suspensions- I mean the thing weighs 10k pounds and that is 70% on the front axle. And I'm a green greenery guy (forestry joke..get it :) )so it is even more gooder.

Totally wrong ford would laugh at 187k reservations. They would be going bankrupt on that. They don't need reservations they deliver that many trucks in less than three months.

I am not a ford fan but you are talking about a company that sold 909,330 F-Series pickups in the U.S. alone in 2018. I am sure they don't care about 187k reservations that were $100. Its prob a joke to them.

The big three combined sell that many in a month. ~ 6500 pickups sold per day in America, those reservation numbers are getting sneers from them right now. Once they start delivering, that will change to a frown.

Reactions: RedOctober
The big three combined sell that many in a month. ~ 6500 pickups sold per day in America, those reservation numbers are getting sneers from them right now. Once they start delivering, that will change to a frown.

The real real pain will come when all the big 3 devotees find out from their CT owning buddy how much better the CT is. Then, the real switch will begin. I am convinced that none of the big 3 will be able to make a competitive electric truck.

Right now it appears there are something like 500K reservations. Let's say there's a drop-off rate of 50% (I don't think it will be that high). That's 38 days of sales. If instead 75% of the reservations go through that 57 days--almost two months. If they're sneering, they're in big trouble.

Right now it appears there are something like 500K reservations. Let's say there's a drop-off rate of 50% (I don't think it will be that high). That's 38 days of sales. If instead 75% of the reservations go through that 57 days--almost two months. If they're sneering, they're in big trouble.
I saw a chart recently that suggested around 340,000 reservations. What is your source for ~500,000?

I saw a chart recently that suggested around 340,000 reservations. What is your source for ~500,000?
It was in either the main Cybertruck thread or the investors thread. Based off of reservation numbers. Unfortunately, the last batch of reservation numbers isn't actually accurate because of the way batching works. Also there was a tweet from Elon saying 400K several days ago.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
So by the time the cyber truck goes into production there will be 3/4 million preorders or more. That is a lot.
Personally, I think it has plateaued. I don't expect above 500,000 before production starts.

I think at this point the delivery time for pre-orders and for people walking in off the street have pretty much equalized.

That is, they will be producing so many per month that the last batch made that fulfills any pre-orders will have more than just that many, so some will be going straight to inventory.

Personally, I think it has plateaued. I don't expect above 500,000 before production starts.

I think at this point the delivery time for pre-orders and for people walking in off the street have pretty much equalized.

That is, they will be producing so many per month that the last batch made that fulfills any pre-orders will have more than just that many, so some will be going straight to inventory.
Ah not so fast me friend.... Think, will the Tesla be filling preorders for 18 months (probably more..much more), if so and it is a decent truck there will be a second wave of preorders by people just wanting to get a place in line so they can be the "first of the group that did not preorder."

Reactions: SpaceCash
Point taken.... semantics sorta... depending what the "pre" aspect is...
Usually when I order something it is sent to me..if I order it before the actual one I am ordering is in inventory then it could be said I am pre-ordering it.
Sorry, I meant Tesla will stop maintaining the reservations list and will start using a normal ordering system. So the 'reservation' numbers may stop being relevant. All orders will then be mixed and no way to further establish CT specific orders.

Reactions: lafrisbee
It was in either the main Cybertruck thread or the investors thread. Based off of reservation numbers. Unfortunately, the last batch of reservation numbers isn't actually accurate because of the way batching works. Also there was a tweet from Elon saying 400K several days ago.
The reservation tracker says 389K at one spot and 459K at another and the last tweet from Elon that mentioned res. numbers said
250K. Anyone want to make a guess as to which one is closest to being right