Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybertruck Orders Hit 146K in Two Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has received 146,000 orders for the Cybertruck, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter.

The automaker’s all-electric pickup was unveiled this week in Los Angeles and has received quite a bit of chatter since. The company set out to build something different than what’s currently available in the truck market, and they certainly achieved that.

The pickup’s peaked roof, tall bed sides, solid strip of headlights across the nose, and bare-metal finish set the truck apart. Not to mention performance, which the company says is on par with a Porsche 911.

The pickup is available for order in three versions:

Single motor rear-wheel drive with 250 miles of range, 7,500-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph capabilities in under 6.5 seconds, for $39,900 Dual motor all-wheel drive with 300 miles of range, 10,000-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph in under 4.5 seconds for $49,900 Triple motor all-wheel drive with 500 miles of range, 14,000-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph in under 2.9 seconds for $69,900 (though this version won’t start production until late 2022)

Musk said most orders are for the dual motor (42%), followed by the tri-motor (41%), then the single motor (17%).

Tesla is asking for a $150 refundable deposit to reserve the vehicle, which is slated for production in 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt any Ford F-150 EV buyer will sit in the 50,000th F-150 EV by 2023. They have cannibalize their high profit F-150 ICE truck to sell EVs F-150s at lower profit margins.They want a slow ramp and will constrain the production of EV F-150s to ensure an orderly transition from ICE to EV power by establishing suppliers, especially for batteries.

Same with Mach-E. Or as Ford says. "Ford plans to produce about 50,000 Mustang Mach-E's in year one, but that number is only limited due to battery availability. This information came directly from Ford President of Automotive Joe Hinrichs."

Ford isn’t worried, and frankly I doubt they care about EV. The margins on the F150 EV will go towards funding EV R&D development down the road. It’s a deferred cost subsidy paid now for when they’ll really need it later when the EV market picks up.

If they're not worried, then they're in trouble.
Ford isn’t worried, and frankly I doubt they care about EV. The margins on the F150 EV will go towards funding EV R&D development down the road. It’s a deferred cost subsidy paid now for when they’ll really need it later when the EV market picks up.
If I was a buyer of an F150 after the launch of the EV version the value of the ICE F150 will be sinking with a reduced buying audience. EVs will takeover the pickup market.

Why ?

I keep thinking that the buying base might actually be people who use the truck for work. $40 - $50k for remarkable utility and cheap fuel is an attractive combination for any business.

It's certainly possible that there are indeed businesses or workers who might want one. And indeed, the specs are impressive and will win over some. However, my concern is that there are also some who will not like the look, and will dismiss the vehicle as an option before even researching it, looking at it in person, or driving it. The more radical design makes the vehicle more of an "unknown", and many people don't want to dive into the unknown. If the vehicle looked traditional and familiar, that reaction from that group wouldn't be there.

It's certainly possible that there are indeed businesses or workers who might want one. And indeed, the specs are impressive and will win over some. However, my concern is that there are also some who will not like the look, and will dismiss the vehicle as an option before even researching it, looking at it in person, or driving it. The more radical design makes the vehicle more of an "unknown", and many people don't want to dive into the unknown. If the vehicle looked traditional and familiar, that reaction from that group wouldn't be there.
They also wouldn't buy (if traditional looking) because they would find another excuse. I'd suggest that more of that group will buy this than they would if it looked like every other truck. Of course, to make it that way wouldn't be low cost--think more expensive than X.

Teslas not looking to convert Middle Aged and seniors. They are winning the 20 somethings, the future pickup buyers. Thats the audience that any manufacturer wants the most. Its the FUTURE!! If the Big 3 lose even a fraction of pickup sales it will hurt and going into the future Tesla leaves them behind.

Meh I'm 34. Guess I'm too old for Tesla. Wonder what Pontiac is making this year.

• Funny
Reactions: T3slaDad
Jerry is right -- haters are going to hate.

But as the taxi world has shown with its widespread adoption of hybrids, the money argument wins out in the end with those people. And having 120/240 volt and air compressor built in is simply awesome. I'd like to hear opinions from people in the building trades.

A couple of months ago I was showing my Tesla at an EV show and had a long conversation with a father and (grown) son who were there to check out EVs as a prelude to possible buying the Tesla truck based on the $50k rumor Elon floated at the time. The interesting thing about them was their business: mobile repair of diesel equipment. Needless to say, these were not environmental folks or 0-60 folks or eye-candy folks. The interest was purely a thought that an electric truck would save them money. I told them I anticipated needing 150 kWh battery to be practical and that Tesla was charging ~ $400 a kWh retail for battery capacity so I did not expect a practical work truck for under $80k.

The rest, as they say, is going to be history.

Last edited:
Is the reservation transferable? Wonder if i can throw $100 at it and then sell my reservation spot for a price to some fanboy later.

Risk free investment.

Might even try to reserve more than 1 if possible. Pads the numbers, brings up the hype.

Pump and dump.

He is right on with everything.

disagree; if he is an auto journalist he missed on two key features:

1. yes it’s ugly but the design is on purpose, i.e. the exoskeleton thing, he needs to do his homework on that
2. economics wise he didn’t talk about the incredible amount of fuel savings that will add up over time. EV vs V8 = recovered return on investment pretty quick

disagree; if he is an auto journalist he missed on two key features:

1. yes it’s ugly but the design is on purpose, i.e. the exoskeleton thing, he needs to do his homework on that
2. economics wise he didn’t talk about the incredible amount of fuel savings that will add up over time. EV vs V8 = recovered return on investment pretty quick

You will never make up the price difference in fuel savings. We also don't know how efficient this cybertruck is.

The exoskeleton is ugly. Obviously the design is on purpose but that doesn't change it. Did we need an exoskeleton? Most of the people buying it are going to the mall and Costco. Can't say there is any benefit to it I see. My truck looks fine and it's 16 years old. No bullet holes or sledgehammer hits in 16 years. Doug is right.

I am wondering how this truck is going to pass crash testing. There doesn't seem to be bumpers or pedestrian impact zones.

• Disagree
Reactions: jerry33
You will never make up the price difference in fuel savings.

The Dodge 1500’s we have at work suck over $100/week in fuel. $4800/year. How much would a Cybertruck cost to charge? Let’s say 1/3 that cost which is likely really a high estimate.

So $3300/year savings at least. We keep our trucks 10 years. 33 grand savings. Will the Cybertruck cost that much more than a Dodge 1500? Maybe. But we haven’t factored in maintenance costs yet. ;)

Plus if you are a green guy...... even, more gooder.