Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla delaying delivery, should they provide a loaner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I ordered my S and X two months ago, I informed both the DC City Center store and CA sales staff that I needed to take delivery on 21 July due to a move from Alaska to Florida with a brief stop in the DC area to visit family. Everyone informed me that this would be fine since I was ordering so far out.

Fast forward to today (10 days from delivery), DS informs me that the X will be ready for delivery, but the S is still in shipment and they won't be able to have it ready by the requested date. It completed production on last Friday 8 July. It seems like there would be plenty of reasonable ways to get a car from CA to DC in two weeks, but I understand they are working with a third party shipper.

Is it reasonable for them to give me a loaner S for the 1.5 weeks until I can get the ordered S (They tell me it will be ready by 1 Aug)? Granted It was never in writing that 21 July was the delivery date, but everyone was very adamant that this would be fine. I feel like when buying $210k worth of cars in one go, this would be an easy way to appease the customer.

Anyone else gotten a loaner due to a delivery snafu?

Best to explain your situation to Tesla and see what they can work out.

Perhaps they can switch your delivery to your final destination (Florida)

Loaner might be possible, it they have one available, but it is unusual for Tesla to provide a loaner for a delayed delivery car.

If your car is already on a truck, they are at the mercy of the truckers schedule.

Best to explain your situation to Tesla and see what they can work out.

Perhaps they can switch your delivery to your final destination (Florida)

Loaner might be possible, it they have one available, but it is unusual for Tesla to provide a loaner for a delayed delivery car.

If your car is already on a truck, they are at the mercy of the truckers schedule.
I reached out to the DS, will see what he says in the morning. The S is my transportation to haul me and a bunch of junk down to FL, so hopefully it's ready by the time I need to depart. It's just frustrating that my timeline was the biggest reason I went new instead of used. If I knew the timeline was totally at their mercy, I prob would have just gone used.

Frustrating that my entering argument was needing the car on 21 July, and they had it manufactured in time for that, but chose a slow shipping method.

I know you're too emotionally invested to do this, but in an alternate reality would love for you to say FU I'm not taking either car because of your poor customer service, but I'll get an AMG GTS and Porche Macan Turbo instead for the same cost or less.

• Disagree
Reactions: LoL Rick and MagT
First I am sorry your vehicles were late. I deal with supply chain everyday and stuff is late every day. I don't think you can control every delivery.

I had a 911 that was delayed. Something to do with missing a boat (seriously they said it). No loaner.

But I feel your pain.

I know you're too emotionally invested to do this, but in an alternate reality would love for you to say FU I'm not taking either car because of your poor customer service, but I'll get an AMG GTS and Porche Macan Turbo instead for the same cost or less.
Yeah they waited until the day after I completed payment online (another long story) to even tell me it wouldn't make the 21 July delivery. So I realize I have no real bargaining power other than the fact my DS knows I won't stop pestering him until I get an acceptable response :)

First I am sorry your vehicles were late. I deal with supply chain everyday and stuff is late every day. I don't think you can control every delivery.

I had a 911 that was delayed. Something to do with missing a boat (seriously they said it). No loaner.

But I feel your pain.
Yeah the DS told me when I placed the order that my file was marked with "deliver no later than 21 July." If I was running a high end car company and mis managed production on a 2.5 month lead time product, I would find a way to get it from CA to the east coast in less than 30 days.

Maybe offer to setup shipping yourself since Tesla is too incompetent to do it, and send them a bill? ;) jk

Oh yeah, and your car isn't going coach either.

EP-160709848.jpg