Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla delivery times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a complete mess at the Tesla factory on Tuesday (12/31) night. I ended up being there from 8pm to 11:15pm and I was one of the LUCKY ones. So many people in front of me in the first line were told their cars were still on the factory line and to just wait 30 min to 2 hours to have the cars be completed! Their vehicle location servers kept crashing... even the Tesla app wouldn't allow logins around 10pm!! It kept rejecting my username and password (which were definitely correct).

There was then a 2nd, even longer (hundreds of people) line of people who had confirmed cars that were built, and by 10pm, they came out and started telling everyone in the back half of the line (including me since i was around the back 25% despite showing up at 8pm) that they had a "0 to 1% chance of getting your card delivered tonight"! As the guy was going through the line telling each of those people, he finally reached the group right in front of me... and then my phone rings... it's a Tesla delivery guy who asks where I am, finds me, and then tells me he's taking me inside to give me my car!! It was like winning the lottery, and I could see people in front and behind me in line shooting daggers out of their eyes at us!

I'm not exactly sure why they pulled us ahead. My only guesses are that:
  1. A Model X is a higher profit margin car
  2. I had already paid in full, so there would be no leasing/financing paperwork; it was just a DMV title transfer
And yes, my model X had a bunch of small fitment issues. I wonder how many of them Tesla will be willing to fix when I take it back.

It was a complete mess at the Tesla factory on Tuesday (12/31) night. I ended up being there from 8pm to 11:15pm and I was one of the LUCKY ones. So many people in front of me in the first line were told their cars were still on the factory line and to just wait 30 min to 2 hours to have the cars be completed! Their vehicle location servers kept crashing... even the Tesla app wouldn't allow logins around 10pm!! It kept rejecting my username and password (which were definitely correct).

There was then a 2nd, even longer (hundreds of people) line of people who had confirmed cars that were built, and by 10pm, they came out and started telling everyone in the back half of the line (including me since i was around the back 25% despite showing up at 8pm) that they had a "0 to 1% chance of getting your card delivered tonight"! As the guy was going through the line telling each of those people, he finally reached the group right in front of me... and then my phone rings... it's a Tesla delivery guy who asks where I am, finds me, and then tells me he's taking me inside to give me my car!! It was like winning the lottery, and I could see people in front and behind me in line shooting daggers out of their eyes at us!

2. I had already paid in full, so there would be no leasing/financing paperwork; it was just a DMV title transfer
And yes, my model X had a bunch of small fitment issues. I wonder how many of them Tesla will be willing to fix when I take it back.
I know that may have been annoying but in the future I bet that will be an amazing dinner topic. I would love to live that out and be an old man one day "I remember when Tesla was still a baby company". That said, I'm sure they'll adjust fitament, just make sure to note them all!

That said, I'm sure they'll adjust fitament, just make sure to note them all!
I'm not so sure about adjusting all of them. When I picked up my M3 earlier this year, they delivery person promised all types of things (and fully agreed with the obvious misalignments), but when it came to the service appointment.... "Well, I know it looks bad, but if I use my tool, it's actually 4mm off, and that means it's within spec for this vehicle..."

I'm not so sure about adjusting all of them. When I picked up my M3 earlier this year, they delivery person promised all types of things (and fully agreed with the obvious misalignments), but when it came to the service appointment.... "Well, I know it looks bad, but if I use my tool, it's actually 4mm off, and that means it's within spec for this vehicle..."
Eh don't assume until they test, some things people are extra picky about, can take a stroll around a car lot and find tons of issues on new cars. But I've found them to be pretty accommodating if you're patient with them, the mobile service guy in my area is especially helpful.

I was able to take the delivery on 31st early afternoon. I couldn't see any fitment issues and all, so I am wondering if I have an eye for them. Since you are int eh east bay, would love to catch up with you and buy you a coffee, park side by side and see if I am missing anything :)

I ended up having my car released since I wasn't able to make the event.. and then was told my car got pushed to the end of the line for March delivery.. luckily I found an inventory car in Fremont and threw down $100 in case of this lol.

Hopefully picking it up before next Thursday - want to take car on a road trip to LA with the fam.

Ordered my MX on November 25th, Carlsbad delivery. Promised delivery 4 times by SA, early Dec, late Dec, early Jan, and now tentative Jan 31. In late Dec, SA even told me my car was on the truck headed for San Diego.

Been promised to make up for the missed tax credit in MSRP reduction.

Interestingly SA told me in early December that it had to be delivered before the end of December because the factory switches between US/Europe/Asia delivery each month. So reading this thread and seeing someone promised March 2020 delivery makes sense.

Honestly wish the SA would be honest about delivery so I could plan accordingly

Ordered my MX on November 25th, Carlsbad delivery. Promised delivery 4 times by SA, early Dec, late Dec, early Jan, and now tentative Jan 31. In late Dec, SA even told me my car was on the truck headed for San Diego.

Interestingly SA told me in early December that it had to be delivered before the end of December because the factory switches between US/Europe/Asia delivery each month. So reading this thread and seeing someone promised March 2020 delivery makes sense.

So . . . I went by my local Tesla store this week - wondering what I was going to do since they unmatched me from my demo car, sold it, and never fulfilled my original order. I was surprised to see dozens of new cars on the lot. Those cars were all matched to people but were not claimed (for whatever reason). I was told that they will be put back in the system this week and be matched to new people. So - new orders might be fulfilled through matches of existing "unclaimed" cars. I was given the option to "pick one" but none were configured the same as I had ordered. Plus - I told the folks at the store that I wasn't sure I wanted to pick a car that was built in the closing hours of Q4 . . .

Guess I should be happy about getting lied to about deliver dates, because I am not suffering with a Q4 car.

Lol - not just a Q4 car - a 10pm on New Years Eve built by the mail clerk - right? Mixed blessings I guess.

What did you order? You should find a good SA and see if they can track an unclaimed car down for you. They aren't listed on the inventory sites but a good SA can locate them for you.

Got a call from Tesla delivery yesterday. Said VIN allocated, should be in Carlsbad this week. I have tentative appointment for Saturday delivery.

My website has not been updated as of yet (No VIN).

So roughly 8 weeks order to delivery.