Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Did not honor my referral code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used a friend's referral code, one who gave me a personal test drive and basically sold me on the car, to order my model 3 last year and something must have gone wrong with the link, but that is how I ordered it. Tesla said that I did not use one and after several back and forth emails would not honor it. I guess 1000 miles of free supercharging was worth more than me telling everyone I can that this happened. Most other companies would have made this right but not Tesla. And it wasn't even really for me but I wanted Tesla to reward the person who sold me a Model 3! VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

Reactions: Entropy512
Similar story here. I believe my friend ended up getting the perks on his new car, but my only referral so far was not honored on my end. Never showed up and CS didn't seem interested in talking about it after the return period was over (he was pushing it and told him not to worry). Not a huge loss for me, but it was a bit of a final straw moment after a series of much more substantial mess ups. I still "love the car" and all, but my enthusiasm (and willingness to promote/sell or even buy in the future) sure is tempered now...

this is what I was trying to tell some people last year on these boards when someone was asking "can I add a referral code after the fact"?

They kept saying "I did" and I kept pointing out that, sometimes that works and sometimes it doesnt. If you actually ordered through the link like you say you did, it should have been cut and dried. Most times when this happens its "I forgot to use the link, and placed my order, and my SA told me they would add it after the fact.

My friend just ordered a M3 Long Range through my referral link and it's not showing up under my referrals. I suspect the same thing happened here. How long should it show up after someone orders it? Not sure if I am being impatient or they are screwing us over too....

It is sad to see Tesla making decisions like these. It is not representative of a company that is supposedly worth over $100 billion. They get away with it because there really is no competition. But it won’t always be that way.
I'm pretty sure that's what they were thinking when they made the ordering process a nightmare when I tried to buy a Model 3.

Doesn't work so well for them when I can pick up a Bolt for $25k less from a dealer that treated me very well and will pick me up from my home instead of forcing me to make an all-day-or-more affair of traveling to pick up their vehicle. I was willing to sacrifice supercharging and AWD for that price, some people won't - but what happens in 2-3 years time when CCS is more widely deployed and more AWD electrics hit the market?

(I'm really curious what GM is going to deliver with the BEV3 platform...)

So, 1,000 miles of free charging is worth, what, $75? Take your friend out to a nice dinner to say thanks......

(hope my math isn't wrong..... :) )

I looked at my History under my Account's Manage area and have only Supercharged a few times since getting the car. One location back in 6/19 charged $.26 kWh, and the other back in 10/19 charged $.29 kWh. Different parts of the country have different charging rates/times but I think there is a move nationally to go by kWh moving forward.

I referred a friend in 11/2019 who used my referral code when he ordered. Wasn't paying close attention but after his car was delivered day before Christmas I checked my account and saw his referral listed and that it had been delivered. When I checked my Loot Box the miles were there. He got his as well. I think they are waiting until after the 7-day return period before probably coding the accounts to add mileage to the Loot Boxes and likely a computer program pushes the info in batches for the week/month.

Last edited:
It's now been over 7 months and I'm still trying to get Tesla to honor the referral I used. I know that big picture it is not a huge amount of money (~$80 in my case plus my referrer), but it was a factor in my decision to get a Model 3 and I think my original deal with Tesla is not complete until they take care of this.

I would like to purchase a new 3rd gen Wall Connector but I cannot do so until the current ongoing transaction is complete.