Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Disappoints Again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered an inventory car from the Scottsdale, AZ location on 12/23 and was scheduling delivery for 12/24 as this was a Christmas present for my wife. I received a call and text late on 12/23 stating that the car was NOT in inventory but was still in production. I was not happy but was told that the car would absolutely be delivered on 12/28 so I could take advantage of the tax credit. I received both a text and a call today confirming my delivery date and time of 430pm on 12/28. I just received another call stating that they will not be able to deliver the car until January 2020. I will not receive the tax credit and the value of my trade will also not be honored beyond 12/31. The caller was not apologetic and didn't care about the loss of the tax credit or the value of my trade. He couldn't have been more rude.... This would have been the 5thTesla for me but will now be my last.

While I agree that their operations are a bit chaotic, I simply couldn't be upset about not receiving a car 24 hours later. Most manufacturers take 8-12 weeks when ordering a vehicle not on the lot. I'd say that's a standard timeframe.

The fact that a last minute, end of year order, when you know they're pushing every vehicle possible out the door, slips to 8 days, wouldn't be super surprising.

Disappointing? Sure. But if you already own 4 Teslae, you should know what to expect in the delivery department. It's not like there's thousands of Model 3's sitting on dealer lots with little green "buy me now!" stickers on the hood ...

Reactions: ZachieD
This story doesn't make sense. The inventory cars are purchased a totally different way than cars in production. You literally have the VIN on purchase and delivery has to be made within a few days if the car is in your area or they open it up to other buyers. They call you and text you within a few days. You would have already had to have insurance and uploaded your proof with drivers license.

It sounds like all these people are trying to get Tesla to give them discounts because they didn't get their car before the tax credit. Then they get mad when Tesla says sorry no. It's not Tesla fault.

I am sure some people held off thinking the tax credit was coming back at 7k last week even and now lost their spot.

This story doesn't make sense. The inventory cars are purchased a totally different way than cars in production. You literally have the VIN on purchase and delivery has to be made within a few days if the car is in your area or they open it up to other buyers. They call you and text you within a few days. You would have already had to have insurance and uploaded your proof with drivers license.

It sounds like all these people are trying to get Tesla to give them discounts because they didn't get their car before the tax credit. Then they get mad when Tesla says sorry no. It's not Tesla fault.

I am sure some people held off thinking the tax credit was coming back at 7k last week even and now lost their spot.

I did have a VIN and all of my information, including the trade in photos were loaded into the system on 12/23 and delivery was scheduled for 12/24. BTW, I haven't asked for any discount...

Maybe I have been lucky but they have never missed a delivery date for me in the past. This was supposed to be an inventory car which was verified at the store. Turns out that was not true.

Yeah if you had been following the threads they seem to indicate that they were going to be producing inventory cars til near year end and apparently shipping those out to DCs designated along with ordered cars. People were finding out like you that the cars hadn’t been delivered yet. According to I think it was Business Insider Tesla has been working on the internal OS and working towards something all departments could use. It sounds like one department doesn’t know what some of the others are doing as people are getting calls confirming delivery appts and then someone else will call them and say something different. Have to say I feel for the guys trying to make sense of what’s going on. Clearly not good for buyers either. Sounds like most of the deliveries are making it, and bad weather hasn’t helped some DCs get their cars in.

I did have a VIN and all of my information, including the trade in photos were loaded into the system on 12/23 and delivery was scheduled for 12/24. BTW, I haven't asked for any discount...

If you have the VIN the car is somewhere already. I wonder if they sold it to someone before you or at the same time as you. Do you know where the car was? Were they shipping it? I would go pick it up if they allowed.

Mine was shipped from PA to NY for free but it took like two weeks

While I agree that their operations are a bit chaotic, I simply couldn't be upset about not receiving a car 24 hours later. Most manufacturers take 8-12 weeks when ordering a vehicle not on the lot. I'd say that's a standard timeframe.

The fact that a last minute, end of year order, when you know they're pushing every vehicle possible out the door, slips to 8 days, wouldn't be super surprising.

Disappointing? Sure. But if you already own 4 Teslae, you should know what to expect in the delivery department. It's not like there's thousands of Model 3's sitting on dealer lots with little green "buy me now!" stickers on the hood ...

I think you're missing the point.
They were _twice_ misinformed by Tesla, and the OP felt that the Tesla employee was not just unapologetic, but rude.

Simply put: poor service, the car isn't worth it.

Given how many cars the OP has purchased, I have to assume that they're a serious premium buyer, so they're going to have plenty of choice.

I wonder how the car matching works. I assume there are multiple people in a department who would be checking orders, state of readiness, location logistics and what transporters are still available to load. Wonder if when a car gets assigned it doesn’t register across everyone’s screen. Seems like some VINs fall in and out from what we’ve heard. Has to cause confusion on a lot of ends.

Tesla is updating its internal OS, will focus on securing customer accounts next, says Musk - Electrek

I think you're missing the point.
They were _twice_ misinformed by Tesla, and the OP felt that the Tesla employee was not just unapologetic, but rude.

Simply put: poor service, the car isn't worth it.

Given how many cars the OP has purchased, I have to assume that they're a serious premium buyer, so they're going to have plenty of choice.

Actually, I got the point entirely.

Ordered the car way too late, delivery slipped, causing the tax credit to go away.

Sucks, but giving yourself less than a week with zero possibility of recovery in case of a problem isn't exactly conducive to maximization of available resources ...

As you said, having 4 previous Teslae, the OP knows what he's doing.

My ding against Tesla would of course be for the unsympathetic person in the Las Vegas call center; never an excuse for a less-than-enthusiastic customer service experience... but given all I'm sure they're dealing with, an order on 12/23 that slipped a few days is probably very far from the worst story they've heard today... probably not even the last hour.

I imagine they assigned the task of informing customers that their cars won’t be delivered to a relatively low level person whose had no training on how to handle these situations. And they probably have a long list of customers to call with the bad news. They probably started out trying to be positive and received such negative reactions from customers that at this point they are just making calls and reading from a script. It’s a terrible way to communicate with your customers but Tesla has always been dreadful at this.