Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla disrespecting clients in Portugal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dream of having a Tesla was shattered in pieces and I can't understand why.

Ordered a Model S 90D in December.

Arrived in the first days of April as expected (delivery estimated date: late March/Early April).

It should be in my hands for 2 months shouldn't it? But no.

It was not yet delivered to me. It is ageing in a warehouse.

The reason? An invoice recognized by the Portuguese customs authorities that recently created Tesla Spain/Portugal just can't provide correctly. It's what Tesla says to me. They have had 2 months for making right a damn paper. They cannot provide a delivery date. They keep me saying it's getting resolved, week after week, but it ain't. Why is it so difficult to make a legal invoice paper?

I'm without car (meanwhile my old fossil car has broken) and tired of all this. Tesla store employee says he needs the cars for test drive so can't at least borrow me one.

What did I do to deserve this?

There are a dozen more Tesla Portuguese clients in this situation. I'm one of those who are waiting for the longest period and so this has to end.

And so it's a very sad day to me, I'm devastated with this decision, but Tesla does not give me another option. I feel there was no effort on making things right for me. I was buying a premium car with a lot of effort but I'm being treated like a looser!

People keep asking, week after week, why I still don't have the car and I just don't know what to say more not to hurt Tesla.

I can't be on this situation forever.

My dream is shattered in pieces :(

Attachments

• received_10202615560067343.jpeg
    received_10202615560067343.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 99
What did I do to deserve this?

Total bummer, and its got to be especially frustrating with the freight lead times to Europe, even when operating normally without European port strikes, bureacracy, politics etc. But import authorities and their jurisdictional requirements are complex and unlikely to have singled you out, nor has Tesla done so either. I work for a 125 y/o Fortune 100 company that has been manufacturing $50MM pieces of machinery for our global clients for decades, and we constantly bump into export/import paperwork and new heightened security issues through out the ports across the Euro continent. You are caught up in a lousy situation, but by no means have you been singled out. As for whether you deserve it or not, well only you know for sure. ;)

Portugal. My guess is they haven't bribed the right person yet. Sucks that you're caught in the middle.
The Department of Commerce makes an interesting observation: lots of U.S. goods are imported into other EU countries first, then subsequently transported into Portugal for sale. Wonder if there is some incentive to avoid importing directly.

In any case, while I can imagine the wait must be incredibly frustrating, it doesn't sound like this is necessarily Tesla's fault, nor are they being disrespectful. Don't let this shatter your dreams just yet.

"What have I done, what have I done, what have I done to deserve this?" -- Pet Shop Boys

Feel bad for you waiting so long and especially without another car to use and no loaners to give you in the meantime. Is this the first time Teslas are being sold there?

My only experience with importing anything overseas was when I worked for a company that had arranged for a candy company to ship over a lot of donated candy for a not-for-profit. Some of it was chocolate. Not sure what the hold up was all about but the people who shipped it and those who were expecting it were going crazy over it sitting on a ship and not being cleared to truck in. The company handing the shipping was an outfit experienced with this sort of thing so everyone was unhappy it was hung up. Not sure what happened to all the chocolate bars. All that aside I hope whatever the issue is with your and other countrymen's Teslas is resolved really soon. Has to be frustrating for all concerned.

Waiting for a Tesla is not an unusual thing, I had to wait 3 years for my Model X. I never really felt disrespected by the process, because stuff happens and we can't always be in control of things and I figured great things are worth waiting for.

In a way You are lucky that the Tesla Store is able to care (charge) the car. Just imagine if the car was sitting in a Customs car yard.
It would be catastrophic to "brick" the battery because of stupid burocratic delays at Customs.
Seen this happen with ICE Cars (or construction machines) when the (Lead) Battery was dead after only one month.
Hope You get Your Model S soon.

Just a little heads up : the OP is likely a native Portuguese speaker. While their English is excellent, it is likely their choice of words (for example, 'disrespecting') is more driven by how you would say something in their native language rather than the meaning they convey in English. I too, as non-native English speaker, struggle with this. Cut us some slack.

I like OP's post.
The real shame is that Tesla has to keep the car in their rooms without being able to give to the buyer, just because of paperwork.
If it was on a ship or stuck at the docks it would somehow feel better (even though the result is the same).

Nice colour choice by the way.

Reactions: hiroshiy and Nimpo
So your country's customs is holding up your vehicle and this is Tesla disrespecting you? They have every incentive to get you your vehicle ASAP. Stop being so dramatic. Its a car, not a kidney transplant.

The reason of the car being hold is because of invoicing issues which are the responsability of Tesla.

They have had 2 months to make this right. Sorry if you think I'm dramatic, it was not my intention to hurt your feelings ;)

In my experience Portugal is a massive police state and incredibly corrupt. Even importing things from the EU just causes problems there. No idea how that country can be so different from Spain.

Hum where you get that impression?

Yeah there is corruption in Portugal but more at finantial-political level. You don't have to bribe anyone to get mail or any item. Actually in statistics it is less currupt country than Spain:

World Audit Corruption

The problem is in Tesla invoicing software that was not prepared to create valid invoices in Portugal. Tesla recognized this.

The problem was finally corrected today.

Thank you all for your feedback and support.

I suspect that this was down to the Portuguese law around having to have invoices digitally signed, and the associated IT work that has to be done in their billing systems to support this and the auditing of it. (Plus, there are the rules on numbering - invoices must be in numerical order, with no gaps in the numbers, and in date/time sequence). From experience, it can be a real PITA for an international company to build this into their systems, and because of the legal implications, they have to get it right.

Anyway, glad it got fixed in the end, enjoy your amazing new car!!

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and Nimpo
I suspect that this was down to the Portuguese law around having to have invoices digitally signed, and the associated IT work that has to be done in their billing systems to support this and the auditing of it. (Plus, there are the rules on numbering - invoices must be in numerical order, with no gaps in the numbers, and in date/time sequence). From experience, it can be a real PITA for an international company to build this into their systems, and because of the legal implications, they have to get it right.

Anyway, glad it got fixed in the end, enjoy your amazing new car!!

Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy the new car. My wife and I will be in Portugal for three weeks in March of next year 2018. I am fluent in Spanish and French but am struggling in Portuguese. Should be a learning experience. :)

Reactions: pcdefl and Nimpo