Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ditches reservations, opens up Model 3 car sales to all customers in North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bump. I'm surprised no one has responded to this. I came on here to discuss expecting this to be within the first page of this sub-forum. Almost created a new thread before going back a couple pages.

Anyway, this is certainly a change. The $2,500 is non-refundable form the get-go now. However, it's also less than the $3,500 with the old reservation+configure system.

With Tesla's announcement that the $7,500 federal credit will last for deliveries through 12/31/2018, are prospective buyers, especially for LR RWD at 3-5 months, simply taking a $2,500 gamble that they'll receive the full $7,500 credit?

I know production is ramping up very aggressively, but with Tesla's track record for over-promising and under-delivering, how can anyone be sure they will get the full tax credit? Many buyers may be planning financially to receive that extra, $3,750 at tax time.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I just placed an order two days ago. It was right before ordering opened to everyone was official. So I still paid $1000 + $2500 = $3500

LR + AWD version. Was there any estimates on how many orders are US vs rest of world? And also # of AWD vs RWD?

Definitely a bit of gamble (hoping to skip line for AWD) but I wouldn’t be devastated if I missed the full tax credit; $3750 fed discount is still better than nothing plus $2500 CA rebate + $500 PG&E rebate. I just couldn’t make up my mind between Model S vs 3. And of course they just recently updated the 3-5 month delivery estimate.

I just placed an order two days ago. It was right before ordering opened to everyone was official. So I still paid $1000 + $2500 = $3500

LR + AWD version. Was there any estimates on how many orders are US vs rest of world? And also # of AWD vs RWD?

Definitely a bit of gamble (hoping to skip line for AWD) but I wouldn’t be devastated if I missed the full tax credit; $3750 fed discount is still better than nothing plus $2500 CA rebate + $500 PG&E rebate. I just couldn’t make up my mind between Model S vs 3. And of course they just recently updated the 3-5 month delivery estimate.

Since Tesla is still estimating that all new long range orders will be delivered in time to receive the full tax credit, I think you're safe.

Since Tesla is still estimating that all new long range orders will be delivered in time to receive the full tax credit, I think you're safe.

Well for now.

Unrelated question - I’m going to be out of the country most of December, do you qualify for fed tax credit based on when you sign the papers or when it was intended for delivery (or worse registered)? Can I pay in full early or remotely and then have a friend pick it up?

Well for now.

Unrelated question - I’m going to be out of the country most of December, do you qualify for fed tax credit based on when you sign the papers or when it was intended for delivery (or worse registered)? Can I pay in full early or remotely and then have a friend pick it up?

It's either signed papers or when registered, but I don't know which. It is definitely not when delivery was originally intended.

It's either signed papers or when registered, but I don't know which. It is definitely not when delivery was originally intended.
IRS says "when put into service".
To me, this is registration date.
To others, they have done their taxes based on the date they took delivery. Others when they paid in full.
Realistically, it should be the date you drive it for the first time.

I do not have a reservation for Model3, nor am I a Tesla owner.

When I go to the Tesla site to order a RWD, it says "delivery in 1-3 months"

Is this real ? Where are the reservation holders ?

Attachments

• 5F695588-A8AE-4669-B700-E905279C45ED.jpeg
    5F695588-A8AE-4669-B700-E905279C45ED.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Which doesn‘t exist anymore. Tesla deleted all mentions of 35,000 from its webpage.

The only thing that is missing is the price. The website still references the short range battery, due in 6-9 months (1H19). Prices and specifications are only listed for configurations that are currently available. Once Tesla gets to the point that they are ready to launch the short range battery, the configuration page will be updated with the various applicable options and their prices. I think it's a pretty big stretch by the shorts to conclude that Tesla has abandoned their plans for a $35,000 vehicle.

The only thing that is missing is the price. The website still references the short range battery, due in 6-9 months (1H19). Prices and specifications are only listed for configurations that are currently available. Once Tesla gets to the point that they are ready to launch the short range battery, the configuration page will be updated with the various applicable options and their prices. I think it's a pretty big stretch by the shorts to conclude that Tesla has abandoned their plans for a $35,000 vehicle.

And its quite a stretch for the longs trying to downplay the active removal of all 35,000 references from the Tesla webpage