Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA does not respect its customers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ludacris mode

tesla-ludicrous-mode.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Now, Tesla wants to sell me a software upgrade for $2,000 so my car will go a half a second faster which means that it was always capable of going that fast and they are simply trying to dig into my pocket again. Obviously, my Model Y was always able to go that fast and they throttled it back with software so that they can hit me again later for an additional $2,000 to receive what I originally purchased. While I like the car, it is never a good idea to squeeze the goose that laid the golden eggs so hard that it dies. No other car manufacturer treats it buyers like that.

Have you never purchased any other car before? I paid $600 for a stage 1 tune on my VW GTI. A stage 1 tune is just a red lash of the ECU. Aka, a software upgrade.

So, no this is not unique to Tesla.

OP needs to understand what a services business model is. Have you been living under a rock for the past 5 years?

Many cars are electronically limited to certain speeds. You don't see people complaining about that on a Porsche or a Merc, how is this any different? If your argument is that as a buyer you're not allowed to go tweak the system to get more speed out of a Tesla then that's a totally different argument and frankly if you did that Tesla should allow you to (but they currently don't)

ISP throttling speed is the oldest services model in the book. Your line is likely loaded for full capacity to get a gig speed or whatever you're capped at, but the ISP purposely throttles it. If you call that false equivalency then you need to go get your head checked. Is the line installed in you house any different for speeds at 25mbps up to 500+mbps? Likely not. Where you may see differences is when fiber optics need to be installed to get gig+ speeds.

Go return your tesla and go back to an ICE boomer
Last car was a Merc destroyed in a crash. Although costly to maintain, I paid for the whole car, up front, and they didn't try to sell it to me bit by bit after I brought it. Usually, when someone calls another person a "boomer," they are either not old enough to shave are not mature enough to be respected as an adult.

Last car was a Merc destroyed in a crash. Although costly to maintain, I paid for the whole car, up front, and they didn't try to sell it to me bit by bit after I brought it. Usually, when someone calls another person a "boomer," they are either not old enough to shave are not mature enough to be respected as an adult.
You can keep making the same weak arguments all day long, but it doesn’t make you any less wrong. The facts of the matter are that Tesla’s business model is not unusual. And you agreed to that business model when you bought the car. Period.

If you’re *that* unhappy with the company, return it and go get another Mercedes (yea, like they never ripped anybody off for anything, right?). I mean, if people like you don’t back up your complaints with action do you think Tesla is gonna change?? Your decision to keep the car because of convenience is *yours*, not Tesla’s.

I understand your position but don’t agree. Like many people here have already stated, soft wear upgrades cost money, it’s 2020 and that’s the world we live in. I have every Led Zeppelin album ever made and I still pay for Spotifya and Pandora and have. Led Zeppelin channel...shitty analogy but hopefully you get my point. When you jump into the Tesla game your paying for technology.
That being said, I refused my first delivery of MY. The people at Tesla were more than accommodating and got me a almost perfect vehicle a week later. Don’t be afraid to refuse a vehicle, it helps makes Tesla a better Corp.

I love my Model Y and it’s fast as *sugar* without the upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.

The thing is, it's totally up to Tesla how they deliver locked software features. If you don't want the acceleration boost, don't buy it.

I think your most valid point, OP, is that your car had 450 miles on it but was sold as new. That is outrageous. I'm not sure I would have accepted that delivery. I knew my car had 11 miles on it before I went to go see it, and it had 11 miles on it when I picked it up. If it had 450 I would have insisted on a substantial discount even though it would have been hard for me to give up on the rare P3D-.

I would not worry yourself for a second longer about the unlocked acceleration boost for 2k. Either buy it or don't, but there are lots of ways Tesla could make money with OTA updates, such as EAP (when it was available) or FSD, but you have to pay for those. Same with Premium Connectivity which is $10 a month after the year-long trial.

This is also true for software you run on your home computer. The trial software has everything there, but you have to pay to unlock it. It's not free just because it's easy for the developer to unlock because that's their intellectual property. They can charge what they want, and we as consumers make the choice whether to buy or not.

Reactions: davidc18
Someone mentioned it upthread, but basically every manufacturer's engine/motor can make more power than with little more than new software. They're detuned to increase the reliability of the system. Some manufacturers, like Tesla, trade off the built-in safety margin to trade you some horsepower for additional cash. This is not surprising and not limited to Tesla.

I generally agree that Tesla doesn't respect its customers, but I don't think the $2k speed boost option is an example of that.

It probably would have been easier to keep the mileage and update topics separate. Like many others, the point you made on the first is stronger than the second.

Can you clarify if you raised this issue of mileage when you picked up the car (or why not)? I would have immediately walked into the SC or called the delivery advisor. Is it also possible this car was returned by someone else within 7 days?

As for the updates and price differences, I get both sides but would push back on having to be ok with a new car getting a huge price drop 2 days after it was purchased. At a minimum, that feels dishonest. Having customers purchase the same car around the same time but for drastically different prices should be something that bothers you.

As for the question of software updates unlocking features, the problem there is that it becomes a slippery slope. For example, Tesla made a bunch of promises about FSD and many people likely already paid for it with that in mind. What if those features do come true, but Tesla changes the rules and asks you for a bunch more money to get the "new" FSD. Would you be ok with that? You could use the same argument and say you bought today’s version of FSD, but I’m quite sure you’d feel ripped off if someone after you got the same car/hardware with FSD and all those new features but without having to pay extra.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18