TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by diaretical, Apr 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

You'll be fine. If it's the rear door you don't need to remove the window. Just watch the videos, take your time and you'll be fine.

Feel free to post on here if you get into any trouble and one of us can help out.

2. strider

strider Active Member

Thanks everyone. Repair is completed. 2.5 hours start to finish. It was the driver's door so the window had to come out. Note to @KIKGAZ the interior window seal does need to come out - otherwise there isn't room to pull the window out since the brackets stay on it.

We did spend a bit of time getting the window alignment correct on the reinstall. I would recommend taking a crayon or something and marking where the seal touches the window before you remove it. That way you can get it aligned again. We had to mess with it for a while to get everything set.

Otherwise the door handle repair was simple. The Boost Bros' video was great. I also used the Light Harmonic video on remove the interior door panel.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

The window doesn't have to come out... @Btr_ftw, otherwise know as Car Guru, just posted a video showing his tricks to R&R the handle without taking the window out:

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  4. strider

strider Active Member

Nice find! Didn't think about pulling the trim piece to get to that top bolt.

5. DC Doc

DC Doc Member

Hopefully this DYI is helpful when the rear door handle will not present. It is very common for the white wire on the microswitch to break.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. Marc_GA

Marc_GA Member

Well, my rear right is not extending. Called Tesla and 1042845-00-A has been replaced with 1042845-00-B. The newer part (1042845-00-B) is on back-order with over 2000 needed and no ETA.

Guess I'm going without working doors for a while as the alternative ($750 module replacement) isn't acceptable to me.

7. Brutaka

Brutaka Member

Is this "B" piece supposed to be better? Has anyone proven it to be better? Is it meant for the newer (gen 3) door handles or can it be n the older door handles?

8. Edo102

Edo102 Member

I can confirm that the B version is a direct replacement. Presumably it was designed to be more durable, but I guess only time will tell.

• Like x 1
  9. Naonak

Naonak Member

My drivers handle failed this weekend on my P90DL. Taking it in to the service center today.

Man, what a pain in the ass.

I wonder if I can convince them to replace all 4 handles with the B version.

10. Brutaka

Brutaka Member

Let us know if you were successful.

11. Naonak

Naonak Member

They said Bs were standard since 2015... so they only replaced the one.

12. Brutaka

Brutaka Member

Makes me wonder if anyone had their Bs replaced and if the cables truly are thicker.

13. JMG

JMG Member

For what it's worth, mine is an April 2015 build and my driver's side door handle paddle gear failed a few weeks ago.

14. Brutaka

Brutaka Member

Not bad for it being 3 years old.

15. Naonak

Naonak Member

Not bad?? I should think it should NEVER fail. 3 years is kind of ridiculous for a pivot gear in a door.

• Like x 2
  16. Barry

Barry Active Member

You're a few months behind schedule. My April 2015 went a few months ago.

Door handle working? It'll break "soon..."

17. Brutaka

Brutaka Member

Well I meant for these cars specifically. But yes that is bad in a broader sense.

18. jptahiti

jptahiti New Member

19. jptahiti

jptahiti New Member

Hi
    Can you tell me how to order this part?
    Looking forward to your answer
    Best regards

20. jptahiti

jptahiti New Member