Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Driver door stopped presenting a few days ago. Called up my Ranger and he had a paddle gear in stock. I wanted to get 3 (right rear door handle assembly was replaced a few months ago, before we could get the gears) but he said the warehouse was showing them as out of stock. Perhaps it's because they are switching over to the B version? Unfortunately the one he had in stock was an A but the original one lasted 5 years and 67k miles so I'll take it. Will be attempting the repair later today.

Thanks to @KIKGAZ for the notes. I'm dreading taking the window out but we'll see how it goes.

One thing I did think about (may only be an option if you are remote and have a good relationship w/ your Ranger) was to pay for a couple hours of shop labor and have Tesla remove the handle, I would swap the paddle gear, then have Tesla re-install. I also thought I read somewhere that Tesla could swap the gear too so maybe they're moving in that direction. That would only be a few hundred dollars vs the $700+ I paid for the one rear handle.

Anyway, wish me luck!
You'll be fine. If it's the rear door you don't need to remove the window. Just watch the videos, take your time and you'll be fine.

Feel free to post on here if you get into any trouble and one of us can help out.

Thanks everyone. Repair is completed. 2.5 hours start to finish. It was the driver's door so the window had to come out. Note to @KIKGAZ the interior window seal does need to come out - otherwise there isn't room to pull the window out since the brackets stay on it.

We did spend a bit of time getting the window alignment correct on the reinstall. I would recommend taking a crayon or something and marking where the seal touches the window before you remove it. That way you can get it aligned again. We had to mess with it for a while to get everything set.

Otherwise the door handle repair was simple. The Boost Bros' video was great. I also used the Light Harmonic video on remove the interior door panel.

Thanks everyone. Repair is completed. 2.5 hours start to finish. It was the driver's door so the window had to come out. Note to @KIKGAZ the interior window seal does need to come out - otherwise there isn't room to pull the window out since the brackets stay on it.

The window doesn't have to come out... @Btr_ftw, otherwise know as Car Guru, just posted a video showing his tricks to R&R the handle without taking the window out:

Well, my rear right is not extending. Called Tesla and 1042845-00-A has been replaced with 1042845-00-B. The newer part (1042845-00-B) is on back-order with over 2000 needed and no ETA.

Guess I'm going without working doors for a while as the alternative ($750 module replacement) isn't acceptable to me.

Well, my rear right is not extending. Called Tesla and 1042845-00-A has been replaced with 1042845-00-B. The newer part (1042845-00-B) is on back-order with over 2000 needed and no ETA.

Guess I'm going without working doors for a while as the alternative ($750 module replacement) isn't acceptable to me.

Is this "B" piece supposed to be better? Has anyone proven it to be better? Is it meant for the newer (gen 3) door handles or can it be n the older door handles?