Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Elon Musk Says Update 8.1 Coming in 10 Days or So

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disgree. I love AP; you just have to know its limitations and when it is at its best. Not for the faint of heart, but so far ahead of its time.
Hi! My EAP has local road AS as an advertised feature that has been enabled. Does yours?

I'm not a Tesla lifer who has been following Musk around like a puppy for years. I don't own any of the stock. I am a recent consumer who bought an elite-priced car (that is not capable of what was stated on my order form). The CEO comes across as a complete model-screwing douchebag (Johnny Depp's sloppy seconds?! Better see a Dr.) who lies to his customers and gets away with it because a collection of loud people confuse owning the car or following his tweets with being his friend. Genius has never precluded a person from being shady.

Anyway this thread is about 8.1. -- software 3 months late because they've apparently been focusing on other 3 month late software.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Dj B and McRat
I'm sure there will be a new thread on this, but Elon *just* tweeted that 8.1 will be out 'next Tuesday/Wednesday'. Cue the interpretations....

"Looks like Tues/Wed for 8.1 release"

Edit: for the details:

elon-81.jpg

Last edited:
So, while we wait for 8.1,
I was looking at the firmware update tracker,
and I'm like 5 versions back.
Is there much rhyme or reason?
Is it because I turned off always connected?
Should I care?

I'm sure Tesla thinks there's a reason, but we haven't had much success discerning it. This is the longest I've gone without an update, by far - I'm still on 2.52.22 from last year, with nothing newer offered.

You should get updates sooner if you have the car on Wi-Fi at night. At one point, you would get updates sooner if the car noted it was in the vicinity of a service center or gallery (the geofence I jokingly mentioned above) but we've heard that might not be the case anymore. I don't know if always connected will affect the rollout or not.

Things that affect fleet safety you can count on going to everyone within a few days. For the rest of the updates, there's no telling. Some version go to a handful of cars, other s to every car of a given configuration (Pre-AP/AP1/AP2). Sometimes it seems like they are updating to groups at the same time with different versions as some sort of test. And, of course, you can't tell what you're getting until you accept it.

Last edited:
Not sure if this applies to you, @Jack007, but I think AP1.0 hardware hasn't been getting very many updates. Tesla has been focusing on AP2.0 updates for the past 2 months. I too haven't gotten an update in a long while (almost 3 months?).

Also turning off "Always Connected" may also hinder your ability to get upgrades.

So, while we wait for 8.1,
I was looking at the firmware update tracker,
and I'm like 5 versions back.
Is there much rhyme or reason?
Is it because I turned off always connected?
Should I care?
Do you have your car set to connect to wifi at your home? I was chatting with a ranger today and mentioned how I've been getting updates almost every two weeks since December but how some cars haven't received any updates. He said that if they don't have wifi or good cell coverage, you could get stuck without updates for a while.

Do you have your car set to connect to wifi at your home? I was chatting with a ranger today and mentioned how I've been getting updates almost every two weeks since December but how some cars haven't received any updates. He said that if they don't have wifi or good cell coverage, you could get stuck without updates for a while.

This time around, some of us that are on Wi-Fi every night haven't seen an update in three months, either. I think a few AP1 cars have gotten some updates, but it's mostly been AP2 cars.

Elon engaged in a TWEETSTORM this morning. Maybe he needs to spend more time explaining why he charged me for EAP and it didn't function at all when I left the showroom. No there was no 'waiting for approval'disclaimer on my papers. Great car. Trumpesque owner. He's just a misleader. Great marketing (it got Trump elected). Bad for policy and people. If we aren't going to sue, let's enjoy the great car we HW2 people overpaid for and learn a lesson about who he is.

• Disagree
Reactions: voltaren