Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Elon Musk Says Update 8.1 Coming in 10 Days or So

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Followup from yesterday. LATE late in the evening, MrX finally resuscitated fron the dead & let us get on our way (hours late). The crippled 8.0 is back in - the 8.1 update notice has gone away all together - and all driver assist functions if 8.0 went byebye, from basic dumb cruise control on up.
That almost felt luke a MS windoz experience.

On a lighter note, those who are new to this feature can now enjoy fob-summons in this initial 8.1..........
Enable summons (beta), customize and disable "require continuous press"
From outside the car press & hold the top fob button (lights blink), then frunk or trunk are forward & backward respectively.
About 1.5 car lengths happen in an open space.

|v8.1(17.11.3)| AP2 |

On a lighter note, those who are new to this feature can now enjoy fob-summons in this initial 8.1..........
Enable summons (beta), customize and disable "require continuous press"
From outside the car press & hold the top fob button (lights blink), then frunk or trunk are forward & backward respectively.
About 1.5 car lengths happen in an open space.

|v8.1(17.11.3)| AP2 |

Sadly not available in Europe - app only for some reason. ;)

What's not available for you, 17.11.3? Because if you have it, then maybe the driver side door being right-side rather than left, might be a hardware factor.

Over here we don't have summon available via the key fob - it's only possible via the mobile app. I'm fairly certain my S with HW1 worked via the fob and I would have thought it would be the same with HW2 but apparently not!

@Jrogville - Yes I am exaggerating. Perhaps I should say the only "perfected" feature is the EV drivetrain and battery. But then again it's not really perfected, the regenerative braking software sure could use some work. It's not linear < 10MPH and a bit annoying compared to other EVs that have figured this out.

Not a software thing. Tesla uses AC induction motors for better high performance efficiency and lower resource consumption (no permanent magnets) and therefore the magnetism generated at low speeds is much lower.

• Informative
Reactions: travis010
I love you for Saying this - nice to see some people on this forum who actually like their car and the brand . I thought it was just that when I signed up. Turns out quite the opposite, it's largely people complaining about every possible thing .

I love my car - does it have things I'd like to change or improve yes - but ; it's the best car I've ever owned and everyone I know is envious beyond all belief.

What this goes to show you is no matter what ; our wonderful society will literally complain about anything and everything .

Someone could win 100 million and they'd complain about the distribution schedule.

Couldn't agree more @Pilot4Hire102. Just received my MX last week and we absolutely love it. Would we like some of the promised features to come sooner, sure, but we also realize when buying a Tesla you're not only buying a vehicle but technology which is on the edge and schedules may slip.

What Tesla is doing is hard, but I have faith they will accomplish their goals. Just look at what Musk has done so far with Tesla and what they have done over at SpaceX. Everyone said, can't do it. Launch and land an orbital rocket? Reuse it? SpaceX slipped on their goal by a couple years and many were naysayers, saying ha, see, SpaceX missed their deadlines, instead of celebrating the fact they did accomplish the goal, years AHEAD of anyone else.

Maybe we should be glad our 8.1 failed load - leaving our car dumb went back to crippled 8.0 for now. Seems i just read that there already needs to be a patch, as the FWD activation (open close) screen is DOA. At least the return to inoperative safety features on 8.0 leaves us with FWD's that still work from the screen. Maybe we'll just deal w/ no cruise control etc until it all gets sorted out.

• Funny
Reactions: HookBill
Very happy with 8.1 so far. It's nice to go 80mph on the freeway, I really missed that.

Quick things noticed is the initial activation of AP, the steering wheel doesn't jerk hard any longer, the previous version always pulled to the left.

Lane change works, but it got confused when I another car merged into the lane I was going to, it slowed abruptly (which was not necessary there was enough distance in the front ) so I had to take over.

Just received a new software update an hour ago. Will install it tonight. Already at 8.1, so this is obviously a hotfix for something. Long weekend of work for a few engineers. Anyone else just get pushed an update for their MX?

Not yet, unfortunately. But I did have the disconcerting experience on 17.11.3 of having no FWD open buttons on the center screen today. I opened one with the fob, and once it was open I got a close button, but still no open buttons. I've seen a couple comments that suggest this is the issue that 17.11.10 is supposed to resolve.

Are you HW1?
Yes @K_MTG , Posts w/o a simple note like below on what people have, just clutters the threads with more unanswered questions. While not appropriate in a signature, it's easy to paste into relevant responses. If HW1 & HW2 can have same software builds, it's even more important to say what you've got after yer observations.

|v8.1(17.11.3)| AP2 |

Reactions: X Fan