Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...If you want to just make everything into absolute black and whites and get on a bitter soapbox to align with your politics, I guess you can keep going down that path but I have no interest in arguing on that front. But I think it is short sighted to be against PHEVs at least in the short term. Just because an EV works well for you, doesn't mean it does for everyone out there, and we are all better served if everyone starts transitioning to EVs/PHEVs over ICE vehicles in the short term.
For crying out loud, considering an $9,000 credit for 10kwh PHEV for the rest of the decade as idiotic has nothing to do with politics. Nor does considering giving an extra $4,500 credit to a special interest group, the UAW, signal anything other than corruption. There are Thousands of American workers making cars that are not in a union by choice. Wrong is wrong, especially when it's black and white, it has nothing to do with which party does it or "politics".

My situation: Placed SR M3 order before the $4,000 price increase. I live in NJ, so I still have a reservation for the NJ Charge Up rebate that offers $5,000 off at point of sale, and currently appears on my Tesla order as a credit. When I placed my order in August, I had a Jan 2022 estimate. My account now fluctuates between November-December for estimated delivery. Of course, I would really love to add the $8,000 Fed credit to that if I can push delivery to Jan 2022 and everything else qualifies and it passes of course, but don't want to risk losing my lower priced order or the $5,000 NJ rebate. The NJ program shut down due to running out of funds and just has reservations for older orders like mine, that should still qualify. I called Tesla and asked about pushing delivery back and they said I might risk losing the NJ rebate and the vehicle order at the lower price. Any tips on how I can ensure getting everything if the Fed credit passes? I'm trying to win the most discounted SR Model 3 ever with a total of $17,000 off. I know... first world problems.

Reactions: EvEv
Why would you lost the $5k? They think the delivery will push after June 2022 ?
They said if I don't take delivery of the vehicle within 3 days, the order will go to someone else and I have to wait for the next available one. The $5k NJ rebate program is closed now due to funding, as of October 15. My guess is the risk comes from stretching that timeframe out further to lose whatever funding might be there for those that initially qualified. That's a NJ program risk, not from Tesla I think.

They said if I don't take delivery of the vehicle within 3 days, the order will go to someone else and I have to wait for the next available one. The $5k NJ rebate program is closed now due to funding, as of October 15. My guess is the risk comes from stretching that timeframe out further to lose whatever funding might be there for those that initially qualified. That's a NJ program risk, not from Tesla I think.
That's nice you don't go to the back of the line though. Am I reading that right? My EDD is next month and new orders are September now. I'm nervous they'll push me that far or cancel my order if I try to go on hold.

That's nice you don't go to the back of the line though. Am I reading that right? My EDD is next month and new orders are September now. I'm nervous they'll push me that far or cancel my order if I try to go on hold.
It varies based off who you talk to. My SA seemed to indicate that if you go on hold or deny a VIN you'll get the next available when you say you're ready to come off hold. Others have said you go to the back of the line.
TBH Tesla is probably going to end up putting as all at the back of the queue because demand is so high. But that's my personal opinion.

If Tesla cared about their customers and didn't want to punish people for wanting an extra $8k off, the simplest thing to do would be to send out a survey to everyone expecting delivery in the next 4 months. Ask if they want to be take delivery in 2022 or would be willing to take delivery in 2021. Keep people in order and just move whoever wants 2021 orders to the front as cars become available and continue the order of where they're at now in January.

Reactions: EvEv and leaftoy
It varies based off who you talk to. My SA seemed to indicate that if you go on hold or deny a VIN you'll get the next available when you say you're ready to come off hold. Others have said you go to the back of the line.
TBH Tesla is probably going to end up putting as all at the back of the queue because demand is so high. But that's my personal opinion.
I've got on "denied the VIN" hold recently. I can confirm that you get the next available VIN that matches your configuration (and is coming to your area).

I just called and they recommended to only go on hold only if assigned a VIN. I would not get moved to the back of the line. 🙌

Elon sent out a company-wide email to employees at the end of Q3 where he stated the goal was to reduce delivery waves and let some deliveries slip to Q1. This could be because he expected there could be tax credits passed or simply because they are focusing on getting GigaTexas running smoothly and stockpiling some vehicles now to even out eventual deliveries. Email below for reference:
No one knows what's in Elon's head. Guessing just makes it worse.

Outside of sales lost, does adding FSD or discounting it cost Tesla any extra money? Sounds like software that Tesla basically needs to install/activate in the car? Offering self driving at $2k might actually make them money. If it costs them nothing, assuming less than 1 in 5 Tesla owners have FSD, they'd stand to gain. Again, this is under the assumption that it doesn't cost them money to activate it.

Outside of sales lost, does adding FSD or discounting it cost Tesla any extra money? Sounds like software that Tesla basically needs to install/activate in the car? Offering self driving at $2k might actually make them money. If it costs them nothing, assuming less than 1 in 5 Tesla owners have FSD, they'd stand to gain. Again, this is under the assumption that it doesn't cost them money to activate it.
This is the only logical thing that Tesla can do to incentivize US buyers from not delaying delivery without costing the company any money. Free supercharging has a direct cost to the company so they won’t do that. Most buyers probably wouldn’t be buying FSD anyway so this way they pocket an extra $2k from buyers who wouldn’t have purchased it in the first place.

Reactions: Viv1984
There are costs associated with it, R&D and people costs. The OTA updates doesn’t just happen, there are significant changes and will continue so.
As far as margins, who knows, but the point is that FSD isn’t something that cost Tesla nothing.

If Tesla cared about their customers and didn't want to punish people for wanting an extra $8k off, the simplest thing to do would be to send out a survey to everyone expecting delivery in the next 4 months. Ask if they want to be take delivery in 2022 or would be willing to take delivery in 2021. Keep people in order and just move whoever wants 2021 orders to the front as cars become available and continue the order of where they're at now in January.
Something like this would be fair. Tesla gets to sell their fourth quarter production and customers don’t lose their spot in the line.