Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dumb questions time. If the new ev tax credit comes through, my delivery date is 11/22 - 12/20. If I'm notified of delivery after 12/1, I think I have 30 days to accept, which would put me in Jan. If they notify in Nov I have to put on hold and then am subject to price increases and if course delays. (unless they are willing to work with me) .. Is this all correct?
Unless unusual circumstances, according to the Purchase Agreement, you have 3 DAYS to accept. Not 30.
Otherwise VIN gets reassigned, car goes to 'inventory', or whatever Tesla decides.
I'm sure there's a little wiggle room, but not 30 days.
Whether you go to the 'end of the line' or not, seems random.
Really, that's at Tesla's whims.

Perhaps, given the possible legislation, some accommodations might be made. But that's for Tesla to say, not the internet blogs.
And there's no legislation done as yet. Or even close. It's a mess of egos, aspirations, and demands.
Too many combinations / permutations to bust a gut over.

Just buy the car when it becomes available to you- you'll be happy with it, regardless of the tax credit's availability. And if the tax credit is really your only reason to buy the Tesla, perhaps you shouldn't buy one, or if you are stretched and need the tax breaks to afford one, maybe you should consider waiting on a used older one sometime in the future when the supply catches up to demand and prices of used ones fall. In my opinion, Tesla has done more to create demand for EVs than any tax incentives ever have or ever will create.

Just buy the car when it becomes available to you- you'll be happy with it, regardless of the tax credit's availability. And if the tax credit is really your only reason to buy the Tesla, perhaps you shouldn't buy one, or if you are stretched and need the tax breaks to afford one, maybe you should consider waiting on a used older one sometime in the future when the supply catches up to demand and prices of used ones fall. In my opinion, Tesla has done more to create demand for EVs than any tax incentives ever have or ever will create.
To each their own but this is an overly broad statement. I don't see why someone being financially prudent with regards to the potential for a sizeable tax credit in a couple of months is grounds for them not being a good candidate to purchase a Tesla. I've had my order from April on hold till recently to see how the tax credits shake out and because I'm in no urgent need for a car. I can easily afford a Model Y or even S today, but that doesn't mean I feel like my money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Different people are different. I can totally understand those who care about cars a lot or for whom driving the latest and greatest is their passion/identity/guilty pleasure. And those people would have a hard time playing the long game for tax credits because that isn't a priority for them and that's totally fine. But there are plenty of other people for whom a Tesla is just a car and if they can save $8K on it and put that money to use elsewhere, they would gladly do that. It doesn't mean that they can't "afford" a Tesla. They just have different priorities for their money.

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will no0fy you of when we expect
your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other loca0on as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of
your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our no0fica0on or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your
Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first aempt to
no0fy you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Orde
r Fee.

I read this as 30 days before I lose my deposit.

Money isn't the issue, but maybe that's because I don't make a habit of throwing away $10k over a few weeks of waiting... Just saying...

To each their own but this is an overly broad statement. I don't see why someone being financially prudent with regards to the potential for a sizeable tax credit in a couple of months is grounds for them not being a good candidate to purchase a Tesla. I've had my order from April on hold till recently to see how the tax credits shake out and because I'm in no urgent need for a car. I can easily afford a Model Y or even S today, but that doesn't mean I feel like my money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Different people are different. I can totally understand those who care about cars a lot or for whom driving the latest and greatest is their passion/identity/guilty pleasure. And those people would have a hard time playing the long game for tax credits because that isn't a priority for them and that's totally fine. But there are plenty of other people for whom a Tesla is just a car and if they can save $8K on it and put that money to use elsewhere, they would gladly do that. It doesn't mean that they can't "afford" a Tesla. They just have different priorities for their money.
Do we really need the tax credit? Haven't we had enough free money in this country yet? Our great grandchildren will be saddled with debt we can't afford.

Do we really need the tax credit? Haven't we had enough free money in this country yet? Our great grandchildren will be saddled with debt we can't afford.
I'll quote from a response I wrote a few pages earlier in this thread:

You have to look at any EV incentive policy from a big-picture point of view. If you want to push the population at large towards adapting EVs and build up EV infrastructure along the way, you need to provide incentives for a large swath of the population. PHEVs are also eligible for this rebate and are a great entrypoint for a large section of the population into EVs. A lot of people here turn their nose up in disdain over PHEVs but I'm all for them existing because EVs haven't achieved parity with ICE vehicles just yet to match everyone's personal use cases. Tons of people who would never have considered EVs, are going to be incentivized to go the PHEV route due to the credits. Others who were on the fence will make the plunge with EVs due to the significant incentives. Unreasonable amounts of means testing is also going to hurt the overall goal. You want people who tend to buy cars and upgrade cars to also be incentivized to spend their money on EVs. That's one less ICE vehicle on the road every time someone makes that decision. It's one thing if you were subsidizing Model S Plaid and Roadsters, but it is perfectly reasonable to subsidize cars like the MY and M3 (along with competitors in the same price range) because these are high-volume cars and your best bet of quickly transforming the make-up of America's vehicles.

Calling Tesla and other EVs as "luxury" vehicles also is a bit short-sighted. The more Teslas and other EVs that cost $50K+ that are sold now, the more used EVs there will be on the market in a few years at affordable prices. The more the market appetite for EVs grow and infrastructure along with it, the more it enables manufacturers to push ahead with trying to reduce costs. A $30K EV is not very far away. And it's not like large numbers of Americans don't buy $40K+ cars every year. This is not an overnight transformation. But it gets the ball rolling in a pretty big way to help with this transition.

Edit - Also, by making a large portion of the population eligible for these credits when buying their next cars, this also pressures other car makers to stop dragging their feet and really invest in EVs at volume. Again, from a big-picture, multi-year view, these are all good things that this type of policy will bring about. It's easy to get caught up in a myopic view of Person X who has way too much money got a tax-credit to buy a Model Y, but that is missing the forest for the trees imo.

Also, let's not get into this argument of irresponsible spending with the "think about your children" POV when there are tons of much larger and completely wasteful avenues of tax revenue abuse (large chunks of DoD relayed welfare would be one of the prime candidates). Promoting EV adoption and trying to accelerate it across this country is a good thing and will be good for our children and grandchildren. Personally, I'd have a very clear conscience supporting such policy and there is plenty of other outrageous wastes of tax revenue that are far more worthy of your and our attention.

All the arguments about picking up the car when it's available and not waiting for the tax credit when you know that there is a very good chance it will be passed and effective in a couple of months are just silly. If you can wait, then wait and save yourself $8,000k. These credits are largely funded by you/me anyway (and yes, that is true before anyone here starts making the argument that only billionaires are funding these rebates). It's not about whether you can afford $8000k or not. It's about why not save that money and invest it somewhere else more meaningful.

Any $1T company like Tesla will be fine if a chunk of their deliveries gets pushed to Q1 2022 instead of Q4 2021.

Here is a quick update from my end: I had an online chat session with Tesla last Friday (10/29) and asked about if I can put a hold until December 31. They got my contact number but never called back but as of this morning (11/1) they put the delivery on hold until December 31.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I'll quote from a response I wrote a few pages earlier in this thread:

Also, let's not get into this argument of irresponsible spending with the "think about your children" POV when there are tons of much larger and completely wasteful avenues of tax revenue abuse (large chunks of DoD relayed welfare would be one of the prime candidates). Promoting EV adoption and trying to accelerate it across this country is a good thing and will be good for our children and grandchildren. Personally, I'd have a very clear conscience supporting such policy and there is plenty of other outrageous wastes of tax revenue that are far more worthy of your and our attention.
I'm all for not wasting money on things we don't need, I think the whole federal (and state in some cases) budget has a lot of room to be reduced. As we don't have as much of a revenue problem as we have a spending problem. I just think you're misguided on the value of having this incentive to push people to EVs or even PHEVs I live out west and the tipping point has been reached. Why do you think Tesla has nearly a year's backlog already? It's not because they are inexpensive transportation. It's because people have seen the multiple advantages of EVs, and Tesla in particular. Even when it comes to the Infrastructure part of some of this proposed legislation. Tesla has pretty much already achieved infrastructure on their own, piling government money into it isn't materially going to change that. Look at how well the money was spent 10 years ago on "ev infrastructure" There were a ton of Level 2 chargers installed, and they were a money loosing proposition for the company that won the federal contract. so much so that after the money was spent installing them, they went into bankruptcy.

You want to spend your great grandchildren money now. I think that is pretty selfish. At this point we may have to agree to disagree.

• Love
Here is a quick update from my end: I had an online chat session with Tesla last Friday (10/29) and asked about if I can put a hold until December 31. They got my contact number but never called back but as of this morning (11/1) they put the delivery on hold until December 31.View attachment 728024
A key takeaway there is that it says next Model 3 with your configuration is available. Maybe that does in fact mean that folks don’t drop to the end of the queue when on hold.

• Informative
Here is my dilemma…I have a delivery date of 11/6 and I already put my bank account info in for final payment. I’m guessing I can still postpone even though they have my money and it is on the way to the dealership? On top of that I have a car to sell but if I have to keep driving it, I’ll put on another 7500 miles by January and it will be a year older. It won’t go down 8k in value but most likely 2k.

• Funny
Here is my dilemma…I have a delivery date of 11/6 and I already put my bank account info in for final payment. I’m guessing I can still postpone even though they have my money and it is on the way to the dealership? On top of that I have a car to sell but if I have to keep driving it, I’ll put on another 7500 miles by January and it will be a year older. It won’t go down 8k in value but most likely 2k.
As far as I know as long as you do not take delivery you can put a hold on the delivery. I would call Tesla and ask what options you currently have.

This is where I'm at with my car too. I probably won't put 7500 miles, but closer to 4-5k plus all the maintenance coming up. If it delays past February, I'll probably lose my $4k local. I'm thinking I'm just going to take delivery in November no matter what, if it goes to December there's a chance I can't take delivery. I'm just hoping Tesla does something for those of us taking delivery at the end of the year. Even enhanced auto pilot.

A key takeaway there is that it says next Model 3 with your configuration is available. Maybe that does in fact mean that folks don’t drop to the end of the queue when on hold.
I believe the informal consensus around these parts is that you should place the hold after you get a VIN assigned. In that situation, you should end up in a similar situation as @t.e.s.l.a_dude and should be in line for your car relatively soon after releasing your hold. The thinking is that if you place the hold prior to being assigned a VIN, you are in a similar situation as if you didn't complete your profile, in which case releasing the hold pretty much starts you at the back of the line (or close to the back).

I believe the informal consensus around these parts is that you should place the hold after you get a VIN assigned. In that situation, you should end up in a similar situation as @t.e.s.l.a_dude and should be in line for your car relatively soon after releasing your hold. The thinking is that if you place the hold prior to being assigned a VIN, you are in a similar situation as if you didn't complete your profile, in which case releasing the hold pretty much starts you at the back of the line (or close to the back).
Just to clarify: Tesla did not call me back and I had no VIN assigned yet. I was hoping to ask about that on the phone, i.e., if I am placed at the back of the queue or not but I had no chance and they put my delivery on hold. Looking at the language of the hold I can just speculate that I am not moved to the back of the queue but we'll see. One note though: I had completed my profile.

Just to clarify: Tesla did not call me back and I had no VIN assigned yet. I was hoping to ask about that on the phone, i.e., if I am placed at the back of the queue or not but I had no chance and they put my delivery on hold. Looking at the language of the hold I can just speculate that I am not moved to the back of the queue but we'll see. One note though: I had completed my profile.
That's an interesting data point. Hope it works out for you with a quick turn-around once you release the hold!

When did you complete you profile?
When did you call with your question that resulted in the hold?