Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you miss the end of December, then I would expect it in early January. It's not like they just stop all deliveries for three months. Most likely your car will have already been built and is just awaiting delivery. When we ordered our first X in 2019, it was supposed to be delivered at the end of March. Due to weather, they weren't able to deliver it by the end of March but we got it in the first week of April.
They do to CA/west coast. There are several August OD still waiting while October OD on the east coast are getting vin#.

• Love
Reactions: shaundidrake
Does anyone that knows how reconciliation works think this bill could get pushed into next year? I know reconcilation has to take place before end of year but just realized that's a fiscal year ending September 30. The Senate still has a defense bill, debt ceiling, and government funding they have to get done in December.
Its possible it could get pushed into next year but many political observers think that if that happens its a death knell for the bill as the election year will be in full swing and moderate dems will be much less likely to support, hence why there is a rush to get it done ASAP, and as you said a lot of crucial deadlines are approaching in december which will sideline the BBB bill if it isn't done by then.

If the CBO scores the bill realistically with regard to EV and PHEV production, the credits might not survive in their present form. I would really like to see credits pass, without the union mark up and a limit on PHEVs, even though I got my Model Y in September. I'm a real skeptic on an "existential threat" from climate change, but the credits would be really beneficial for Musk's goal of SUSTAINABLE energy.

I love my Tesla, even if we are headed for an ice age. :)

If the CBO scores the bill realistically with regard to EV and PHEV production, the credits might not survive in their present form. I would really like to see credits pass, without the union mark up and a limit on PHEVs, even though I got my Model Y in September. I'm a real skeptic on an "existential threat" from climate change, but the credits would be really beneficial for Musk's goal of SUSTAINABLE energy.

I love my Tesla, even if we are headed for an ice age. :)
Looks like CBO will release scores on selected parts of the bill this week as they work through scoring the whole bill. Perhaps we will see a CBO score on EV tax credit this week.

"We anticipate releasing estimates for individual titles of the bill as we complete them, some of which will be released this week," Swagel wrote. "Other estimates will take longer, particularly for provisions in some titles that interact with those in other titles. When we determine a release date for the cost estimate for the entire bill, we will provide advance notice."

Reactions: voxel
You both pretty much answered your own question. Most people, including SA's will say to wait until after you get a VIN assigned. There's no upside for putting it on hold earlier than VIN assignment.
Can someone explain what happens when you get a VIN? Does that mean the car has actually been built or is in the process of being built? If you put an order on hold after VIN assignment does that mean your car is essentially sitting on a lot somewhere waiting for you to release the hold? My guess is that's not how it works.

So do you get another VIN when you release the hold?

Can someone explain what happens when you get a VIN? Does that mean the car has actually been built or is in the process of being built? If you put an order on hold after VIN assignment does that mean your car is essentially sitting on a lot somewhere waiting for you to release the hold? My guess is that's not how it works.

So do you get another VIN when you release the hold?
Your VIN is assigned after it's built. Put it on hold and that VIN will go to someone else. After you lift the hold you'll get a new VIN when the same configuration you ordered is built and available.

Reactions: highstrunghero
I am confused. There are 2 bills and only 1 has potential EV tax credit changes?

When I see articles like this from WSJ (sorry - paywall), saying it's ready for Biden to sign, it must be something else. Thanks!

House Approves $1 Trillion Infrastructure Bill, Sending to Biden’s Desk

The public-works legislation puts $65 billion toward improving the electrical grid and energy production, $50 billion toward making infrastructure more resilient to cyberattacks and natural disasters and roughly $7.5 billion toward building additional charging stations for electric vehicles.

This isn't the one we are talking about here, right?

$7.5B towards charging infrastructure "sounds" good, but would it do anything for Tesla?

I am confused. There are 2 bills and only 1 has potential EV tax credit changes?

When I see articles like this from WSJ (sorry - paywall), saying it's ready for Biden to sign, it must be something else. Thanks!

House Approves $1 Trillion Infrastructure Bill, Sending to Biden’s Desk

This isn't the one we are talking about here, right?

$7.5B towards charging infrastructure "sounds" good, but would it do anything for Tesla?
Correct. The infrastructure bill does not contain the EV tax credits. The EV tax credits is part of the "build back better bill" and will be 'potentially' voted on next week. Depending on who you talk to its either got a good chance or no chance, so let's see what happens (if anything) next week

Let's keep the thread on track ladies and gentlemen.

I think the EV incentives tick many boxes for a lot of legislators. Some of the 'less than traditionally green thinking" states are benefiting from investments in the plants that build them, which create good paying jobs for their constituents, and rewards the more well off people that they seem more inclined to help than "the poors".

The coastal states will of course support it for the environment, and yes they may means test some of us out of the tax credits, but my bet is something will pass.