Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone else on Reddit said they got that email and talked to an SA and was still able to ensure a post Jan delivery. That email isn't necessarily to catch out people actually looking to buy a car within a couple of months. I think they are just trying to clear out a backlog of orders where many are probably not going to be acted upon and they don't want to be on the hook for all of those with prices going up.

For now, things are looking good for my April order with an EDD of Feb - Mar. Hopefully there is some movement in the Senate on this one way or the other within a few weeks.
How did you talk them into that?

I ordered in June and the latest they'd agree to hold was 12-1. Still wait to see the actual EDD on 12 -1.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
How did you talk them into that?

I ordered in June and the latest they'd agree to hold was 12-1. Still wait to see the actual EDD on 12 -1.
I just didn't bother to complete my profile which automatically acts as a hold of sorts. Didn't end up filling that up till end October at which point I got in queue with an original EDD of Mar - Apr. Tbh, I'm surprised your SA isn't letting you place a further hold. Plenty of folks still have been able to get a hold till Jan due to the tax credit situation or claiming to be away in December for the holidays.

• Funny
Talk to someone else until you get the answer you want
I plan to, though last time the SA had to talk to "the managers" and get back to me. Assuming they have notes documented. I will still try though.
I just didn't bother to complete my profile which automatically acts as a hold of sorts. Didn't end up filling that up till end October at which point I got in queue with an original EDD of Mar - Apr. Tbh, I'm surprised your SA isn't letting you place a further hold. Plenty of folks still have been able to get a hold till Jan due to the tax credit situation or claiming to be away in December for the holidays.
I really have no idea of the EDD that I will receive on 12/1. Could be a few days or a few months out. If it's in the short term, I will be calling. I actually am out of town for xmas vacation.

• Funny
For those who are delaying their delivery to take advantage of some future tax credits...

The company has started to send automated messages to those buyers who have been delaying deliveries: ;)

Hi [Buyer’s name],
We are contacting you to offer you a final opportunity to take delivery of your [car on order] placed on [date of the order].
When we contacted you in [last delivery attempt], you requested that we delay canceling your order because you still planned to purchase the vehicle. However, our records indicate that you have not taken delivery. We sincerely hope you will choose to proceed with your order and join Tesla in accelerating the transition to sustainable energy, but we are unable to hold your order any longer if you don’t take action. To proceed with your delivery, sign in to your Tesla Account and select ‘I’m Ready’ to remove this hold by December 2, 2021. If your order remains on hold on December 2, 2021, or if your order is placed on hold again, your order will be automatically canceled and your order deposit fully refunded. We appreciate your understanding, and we hope that you will order a Tesla when the time is right for you. Best Regards, The Tesla Team

I responded to the cancellation email.
What did you say ?

It’s showing a Jan 8th to Feb 5th. They copied my SA as well. I responded and said I won’t be able to take delivery until after January and would like my hold to be reinstated.
Don't be surprised if you lose your place and have your reservation deposit returned to you since Tesla is being pretty clear that they think you have been in 'hold' for too long. I'm surprised you don't accept delivery since the tax credit is uncertain, but the price increases are baked in. Best case you win the lottery, worse case it is a wash.

Last edited:
I responded to the cancellation email. I received a response that my order was going to be released for fulfillment which I did not ask for. It’s showing a Jan 8th to Feb 5th. They copied my SA as well. I responded and said I won’t be able to take delivery until after January and would like my hold to be reinstated.
Same happened to me. I sent the response and they released my Hold....

Interesting that it says they will refund your deposit/order fee. I thought those were forfeited if your order was cancelled?
They are canceling the old orders who have benefited from $8000 price increase. $100 refund is a small price to pay when they can turn around and sell the cars with $8000 price mark up. Tesla has literally people lined up outside of their factories...

They are canceling the old orders who have benefited from $8000 price increase. $100 refund is a small price to pay when they can turn around and sell the cars with $8000 price mark up. Tesla has literally people lined up outside of their factories...

Yeah ...
This is the story of the pig and the hog. The pig gets fat, the hog gets slaughtered. I'm actually surprised that Tesla has let orders lie around past 3 months.

Yeah ...
This is the story of the pig and the hog. The pig gets fat, the hog gets slaughtered. I'm actually surprised that Tesla has let orders lie around past 3 months.
Please do tell, what is this story? Not one I recall from my childhood.

I’m reposting this from another thread, but here are the terms I see in my sales agreement. These terms may look different (longer durations) for older orders. Since I placed my order on 9/25, it sounds like Tesla could cancel my order if they have a car for me by 12/25 and I don’t accept it. I have a hold until 12/31. I’ll probably be fine, but it does seem Tesla is getting more assertive about orders 6 months or older.
  • For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.
  • If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.

Please do tell, what is this story? Not one I recall from my childhood.

I’m reposting this from another thread, but here are the terms I see in my sales agreement. These terms may look different (longer durations) for older orders. Since I placed my order on 9/25, it sounds like Tesla could cancel my order if they have a car for me by 12/25 and I don’t accept it. I have a hold until 12/31. I’ll probably be fine, but it does seem Tesla is getting more assertive about orders 6 months or older.
  • For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.
  • If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.
I'm fairly certain the 30/90 days doesn't trigger until they notify you of selecting a specific delivery date. Getting assigned a VIN or a tentative delivery window won't start the clock.

• Informative