Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No movement in any bills other than additional cosponsors signing on. But even that was weeks ago. Everything is waiting in the Biden Infrastructure bill. Lots of chatter but no details yet.

They are looking to get in through by fall from what I heard

Any updates with bill if some one tracking closely... please share
I'm keeping tabs on the new infrastructure bill by simply searching for "biden infrastructure plan" in Google News. Latest I'm reading is that they are going to start working on actual specifics of the bill in the next few weeks. Right now it seems to be a game of back and forth between political parties, yay.

Recess starts EOD August 6th. I'm hopeful by then! But could easily just pass through the house by August 6th and then need to wait until the Fall for the senate. I hope not, but that is also a likely scenario.
This was my understanding as well. Initial draft through the house before recess, and then final bill to be done by the Fall season. Who knows.

Not sure which bill the EV tax credits may fall into, but let's hope for the 2nd half!

Biden to Republicans: Show me your infrastructure plan

"Splitting the bill: ...to split the American Jobs Plan into two bills, with one designed to get bipartisan support while the second would pass with only Democratic votes."

"What’s next: Democrats in the House and Senate are both expected to release infrastructure bills next month [May]."

Tesla wont raise the price, they may not lower the price as soon, but raising would be suicidal.
Well.... It's April 2021 and Tesla just raised the price of a Model Y by $1000. I have to wonder if this is in anticipation of a new tax incentive yet to be voted on.

question when bills are passed aren't they done by Tax Year? if so if theoretically the bill passes this year. wouldn't everyone that bought a tesla this year be eligible?

anyhow I am planning on getting my model Y now anyhow, in the case this 10k incentive comes out more than likely i will be trading it back in and getting another Y with FSD instead lol

I didn't see a price increase.
There is a nice google sheet you can view to track all the minor changes:

I thought if I order now, and push it off accepting delivery until after bill passes I am fixed to whatever price I pre ordered at?

Yes, I ordered last July, my price is set. My understanding is my price would have gone down back when the reduction happened earlier this year but I also have FSD at $8k, which I may or may not keep.

This is true. This is what I have done (my order is at eh $48,990 base price), but I wouldn't "plan" on being able to hold an order for over 12 months. Just my perspective.

I'm coming up on 12 months quickly. About a week ago they sent an email asking if I was still interested. I responded yes, just waiting a bit longer. Their response was no problem, let us know when you are ready to proceed.

True, but if retroactive it would encourage sales now rather than discouraging them until it passes.

Unfortunately that is not how the language currently reads in any of the bills I've seen. That doesn't mean the language will not change, but one issue with this concept is what day do you pick for the retro-active to start? This would make things a bit muddy, it's much easier to allow sales after date of passage, a hard date that will not change, to be included. If you've already purchased I'm sure you will have found some value in owning your car. I went down the Model Y rabbit hole, and Tesla rabbit hole, last July and I'm still not driving one yet.

I'm coming up on 12 months quickly. About a week ago they sent an email asking if I was still interested. I responded yes, just waiting a bit longer. Their response was no problem, let us know when you are ready to proceed.
If you don't mind my asking, could you explain exactly how this works? I've tried searching the forums here but I am still hazy on this, but I am strongly considering placing an order now and postponing things till there is clarity on the infrastructure bill. So if I place an order now and fill in whatever initial info they need on my profile, what do I need to do after that to avoid taking delivery prematurely? Do I wait till a VIN is assigned and then ask the SA to change things? Do I talk to someone preemptively? I'd really appreciate any inputs on how to go about this if I do place an order to avoid any potential confusion and/or waste anyone's time in the process.

If you don't mind my asking, could you explain exactly how this works? I've tried searching the forums here but I am still hazy on this, but I am strongly considering placing an order now and postponing things till there is clarity on the infrastructure bill. So if I place an order now and fill in whatever initial info they need on my profile, what do I need to do after that to avoid taking delivery prematurely? Do I wait till a VIN is assigned and then ask the SA to change things? Do I talk to someone preemptively? I'd really appreciate any inputs on how to go about this if I do place an order to avoid any potential confusion and/or waste anyone's time in the process.
Place your order, and there are like 5 stages (delivery location, registration details, insurance details, payment, etc...). You won't get matched to a vehicle until almost all of them are completed (maybe even all of them, not sure about payment).

Just don't complete any of the details. Just submit your $100 deposit and then sit on the order. you'll get an order confirmation showing the pricing you locked in.

Last edited: