Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Historically, if PHEVs didn't exist there would be no BEVs. :)
I think the PHEV has been a gateway into the EV world for many people, and continuing to incentivize them now will lead to more buyers stepping their toes in the water. Then, when they see how much nicer the EV portion of the ride is, their next vehicle will be a full-up BEV.

This may be a more effective long-game path than just discounting BEVs now. Just a thought.
*Raises hand* - I bought my MYLR after driving a Prius Prime for 3 years; getting familiar with that car in BEV mode went a long way to ease the range anxiety that kept me from buying a full EV then. A few years of technological maturity (and charger network expansion) didn't hurt either.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I'm supposedly scheduled for delivery in the next 2 days (but no vin# yet). I was considering waiting to see if the tax credit will pass, but I'm just leaning toward taking delivery if they offer it. Going MYP, so I might have to wait until November to get financing (hoping my home refinance goes through today), but I don't really want to wait until next year.

Does anyone know which specific line items are/aren't included in MSRP for the purpose of determining qualification for the potential tax credit? Need to be under $69k for SUVs like MY at least as currently written; my build is below. Do I need to get the 'car price' line to under $69k (remove $2,441)? The 'Total cost'? Vehicle+options but excluding dest/doc/order fees?

View attachment 715326
For Pennsylvania the total price had to be less than $50,000 to qualify. And that included Destination, Doc, and Order Fees along with the options. So basically the total car price. So even when the MY was base $49,990 when I ordered, it was already over the PA min.

Reactions: eab6287
I've been following this very closely all summer. I have a MYLR scheduled for 12/19 - 01/18 so if something were to pass and be effective 01/2022 I would be hard pressed to make sure my delivery was in the new year. After the political fireworks of this week I highly doubt we'll see anything substantial come out of this bill for Tesla buyers. For what it's worth, my two cents:

- I still think the reconciliation bill will eventually pass. But will look significantly less than it does today.
- Manchin/Sinema have way too much influence and neither have any incentive to keep the credits. I don't see the progressive wing of the party really being that hurt if credits are eliminated all together.
- Even if the EV credit remains in the bill (unlikely) it will be means tested with income being capped at 100k. This has already been discussed, Manchin wants means testing for many of the bills provisions and he's generally against many of the Climate Change elements of the bill. Also, many may not recall that Manchin and Sinema were 2 of the 3 Senators (along with Mark Kelly) to vote for a 100k limit on the credits in earlier votes.

Personally, I've lost hope that that we'll see any sort of useful tax credit for Tesla any time soon.

I predict EV credit will hit cutting room floor. If I were a Congress person it's the first fat I'd cut from the reconciliation bill. Doesn't have the gravitas of, say, college and preschool for all or helping seniors. Plus they're already beefing up the national EV charging infrastructure within the smaller bill.

I think that in general, we have a skewed perspective on the importance of EV credits as part of the larger bill since that is what we are all focused on.

I think @Bosco33 is probably right. When I was following the EV credits last year and I decided I wouldn't wait for them once they started to include income caps since I wouldn't be eligible anyways.

I've been following this very closely all summer. I have a MYLR scheduled for 12/19 - 01/18 so if something were to pass and be effective 01/2022 I would be hard pressed to make sure my delivery was in the new year. After the political fireworks of this week I highly doubt we'll see anything substantial come out of this bill for Tesla buyers. For what it's worth, my two cents:

- I still think the reconciliation bill will eventually pass. But will look significantly less than it does today.
- Manchin/Sinema have way too much influence and neither have any incentive to keep the credits. I don't see the progressive wing of the party really being that hurt if credits are eliminated all together.
- Even if the EV credit remains in the bill (unlikely) it will be means tested with income being capped at 100k. This has already been discussed, Manchin wants means testing for many of the bills provisions and he's generally against many of the Climate Change elements of the bill. Also, many may not recall that Manchin and Sinema were 2 of the 3 Senators (along with Mark Kelly) to vote for a 100k limit on the credits in earlier votes.

Personally, I've lost hope that that we'll see any sort of useful tax credit for Tesla any time soon.
You're prob right.

My hold expires in 4 days. The only surefire way to get the credits to pass for Jan 1 is for me to take delivery before then.

Dead on. Manchin isn’t against the tax credits but wants them means tested that means forget about teslas qualifying.

You're prob right.

My hold expires in 4 days. The only surefire way to get the credits to pass for Jan 1 is for me to take delivery before then.
I had put my order on hold as well, the website use to say "On Hold till Oct 5, press blue button to cancel hold". For last 5 days the order page flip flops between the hold screen and normal order processing page. Have you seen that as well?

I had put my order on hold as well, the website use to say "On Hold till Oct 5, press blue button to cancel hold". For last 5 days the order page flip flops between the hold screen and normal order processing page. Have you seen that as well?
Yes I too see that. My hold expires today. What do you guys say, wait or take delivery? Very confused about EV credits

My take on EV Credits is we will get something, but it maybe a bit smaller value and have much lower income limit. The funny thing is the really inefficient vehicles are typically the expensive vehicles that wealthier people buy, i.e. the Land Rovers, MB, BMW.

I am going to let my hold expire (or it already has?). My plan now is if a bill is agreed upon before delivery, obviously hold else no need to wait longer.

My page just says: "We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. Delivery time frame is based on order date, profile submission, delivery location and vehicle configuration."

My take on EV Credits is we will get something, but it maybe a bit smaller value and have much lower income limit. The funny thing is the really inefficient vehicles are typically the expensive vehicles that wealthier people buy, i.e. the Land Rovers, MB, BMW.

I am going to let my hold expire (or it already has?). My plan now is if a bill is agreed upon before delivery, obviously hold else no need to wait longer.

My page just says: "We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. Delivery time frame is based on order date, profile submission, delivery location and vehicle configuration."
Thanks. Mine says the same. I don't have Vin assigned yet

I wonder if there is an accounting trick that Tesla could pull to delay invoicing the customers who have already ordered but not taken delivery yet? Until January 1st, 2022? Otherwise, there are going to be a LOT of cancellations....$10K is a lot of money to lose out on. It also might make a difference in ordering a Model 3 SR+ or a Model 3 AWD LR....that is my dilemma. I have a SR+ on order, but if the tax credit happens, then I will go for the AWD LR. Should I cancel the SR+ and gamble on the tax credit for the AWD LR?

Reactions: Viv1984
I wonder if there is an accounting trick that Tesla could pull to delay invoicing the customers who have already ordered but not taken delivery yet? Until January 1st, 2022? Otherwise, there are going to be a LOT of cancellations....$10K is a lot of money to lose out on. It also might make a difference in ordering a Model 3 SR+ or a Model 3 AWD LR....that is my dilemma. I have a SR+ on order, but if the tax credit happens, then I will go for the AWD LR. Should I cancel the SR+ and gamble on the tax credit for the AWD LR?
As things are currently written, order date is moot. It's the delivery date that is used to determine eligibility.

I put it on hold until 10/1. I checked on 9/30 and it said I was on hold until 10/6. Now it says prepare for delivery, but my financing expired. I called the other day and the SA told me I was on hold until 10/6, but don't bother reapplying for financing as it might expire again. He said when it comes off hold, I'd be lucky to get it in the December wave. I might not get it until well after. Who knows? I think I'll know more later this week.

I think something will still pass, but it will be for purchases 1/1/2022 or later.