Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was assigned a VIN yesterday. Tried to get ahold of my SA via email but ended up calling into the regional call center and speaking with someone. I was able to unassign my VIN and put my car on hold until January 1st. I really wanted the car but I don't mind waiting a little longer for the opportunity to save $8K and as a bonus get some new features like air suspension, possibly a Giga Texas model.

Reactions: samwise-g
I was assigned a VIN yesterday. Tried to get ahold of my SA via email but ended up calling into the regional call center and speaking with someone. I was able to unassign my VIN and put my car on hold until January 1st. I really wanted the car but I don't mind waiting a little longer for the opportunity to save $8K and as a bonus get some new features like air suspension, possibly a Giga Texas model.
Good to know! Thank you!

Reactions: EvEv
Air suspenion will not be a thing on the model Y anytime soon, Elon has denied it many times, and if he wasnt willing to do it with normal sales, right now with 6 months wait for a model Y there is no way Tesla is spending the extra cash when they cant make enough cars as it is. Maybe 3 or 4 years down the road on a refresh that might happen but not now.

Was in the same situation and I just reached out to tell my SA that I was unable to take delivery until the end of the month. I asked him to pass on the VIN I was assigned and rematch to another once I was ready. He put it on hold right away with no questions.

I was worried this would cause a delay when taking it off hold but I actually did this earlier in September when my delivery date fell during an east coast trip. The order was on hold until 9/27 and I was assigned a new VIN on 10/7. So it took 1.5 weeks after releasing my hold to get another VIN.
I have a similar experience - I have heard others that corroborate that if you have been assigned a VIN and then place the order on hold, you get a new VIN fairly quickly once the hold is removed. Seems like the best way to do it without being sent to the back of the line.

Did they ask for a reason? Or you basically said: "I can't take delivery right now, can you put the order on hold till January 1?"

... And model Y was at some point $48990 and its now $54990 thats $6k. I can see Tesla increasing another couple of thousand and that would mean that you would be even if you bought then or now.
Agreed. Glad I grabbed the Y when it was 49990 back in April. I was worried I'd miss out on possible federal and state rebates that we thought were coming soon. But now I see the cost of the car is catching up pretty quickly with the amount of the rebate.

Did they ask for a reason? Or you basically said: "I can't take delivery right now, can you put the order on hold till January 1?"
I just told them that I don't need the car right now and am not ready to take delivery. I said that my employer won't be bringing us back into an office until at least January. That seemed to be fine. I figure if the EV bill doesn't come through, I will take it off of hold otherwise I will just wait and take it off in late December. I am in at $50,990 so the EV credit stacked on that would get me an incredible deal.

Agreed. Glad I grabbed the Y when it was 49990 back in April. I was worried I'd miss out on possible federal and state rebates that we thought were coming soon. But now I see the cost of the car is catching up pretty quickly with the amount of the rebate.
Tell me about it, I picked up an inventory SRY as i knew the "off menu" talk was crap, and boy was I right, not only that but the cheapest Y right now is 15k more than I paid.as everyone mentions here it would be nice to get tax credits, but at this point it would be just about the same as if you woud have bought in april. I guess if I was buying now i would wait for the credit as it looks very likely to pass.

Reactions: doomsday997
Tell me about it, I picked up an inventory SRY as i knew the "off menu" talk was crap, and boy was I right, not only that but the cheapest Y right now is 15k more than I paid.as everyone mentions here it would be nice to get tax credits, but at this point it would be just about the same as if you woud have bought in april. I guess if I was buying now i would wait for the credit as it looks very likely to pass.
Likely to pass in some form? Yes. Likely to cover Teslas is another story…

I just told them that I don't need the car right now and am not ready to take delivery. I said that my employer won't be bringing us back into an office until at least January. That seemed to be fine. I figure if the EV bill doesn't come through, I will take it off of hold otherwise I will just wait and take it off in late December. I am in at $50,990 so the EV credit stacked on that would get me an incredible deal.
How long did it take for them to remove VIN from your account?

I received Vin on sunday, called on tuesday to put a hold. Until now its not removed, I still have blue button and MVPA.

Thank you. Sent very similar story via text and he had no problem. I think I am going to give Congress until mid November recess, else just going to complete the order and start enjoying.

Reactions: EvEv and Firocity
As somebody with a Model Y delivery date in January, I'm hoping that the tax credit passes in November but does not take effect until 1/1. I would think Tesla would need to do something to ensure that deliveries don't fall off a cliff in Q4, so maybe they would incentivize people to take delivery by offering free supercharging or significantly discounted FSD.

Reactions: DukeofURL
It looks like the Clean Electricity Program might need to be cut from the bill but EV tax credit incentives seem to still be included.

"As a result, White House staffers are scrambling to calculate the impact on emissions from other climate measures in the bill, including tax incentives for renewable energy producers and tax credits for consumers who purchase electric vehicles.

Reactions: rishid
While he is against the clean electricity program which directly impacts the coal industry in WV, it seems like EV tax incentives are still included in the bill. No idea if progressives will accept a bill w/o this program though.

"As a result, White House staffers are scrambling to calculate the impact on emissions from other climate measures in the bill, including tax incentives for renewable energy producers and tax credits for consumers who purchase electric vehicles. "