Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.
  • If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.

I have the same terms, although I am not really sure of the underlying details. E.g., within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you. Notify about what ? I think it means first notification that a date can be set to pick up the car, but I am not certain.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Cheaper to give back $100-250 than it is to honor a pre-market adjustment price.

Simple economics.

Except Tesla is honoring a host of earlier prices, just not letting the game for the most distant and largest continue. People that "lose" their speculation will whine, but at least from my POV Tesla is taking a middle ground course that is remarkably consumer friendly.

Even the people who have abused Tesla's goodwill by dragging this out for ~ 6 months can always take delivery, sell the car for a profit, and then get in line again when it suits them. Heck, that might just be the smartest move of them all since 6 months from now the prices may drop and Austin may be making dual cast, 4680 EVs.

Last edited:
Except Tesla is honoring a host of earlier prices, just not letting the game for the most distant and largest continue. People that "lose" their speculation will whine, but at least from my POV Tesla is taking a middle ground course that is remarkably consumer friendly.

Even the people who have abused Tesla's goodwill by dragging this out for ~ 6 months can always take delivery, sell the car for a profit, and then get in line again when it suits them. Heck, that might just be the smartest move of them all since 6 months from now the prices may drop and Austin may be making dual cast, 4680 EVs.
Do you think there is some vast conspiracy of car flippers who just knew the price was going to skyrocket? Or just a bunch of common Joe's who are trying to be smart with their money?

I guess it hurts your feelings that earlier adopters got cheaper prices? I'm not sure why you have to throw around negativity and accuse folks of "abuse". Tesla is a corporation for profit without feelings or conscience. Why blame the consumer?

Do you think there is some vast conspiracy of car flippers who just knew the price was going to skyrocket? Or just a bunch of common Joe's who are trying to be smart with their money?

I guess it hurts your feelings that earlier adopters got cheaper prices? I'm not sure why you have to throw around negativity and accuse folks of "abuse". Tesla is a corporation for profit without feelings or conscience. Why blame the consumer?
Tesla has made it clear in the writing that you can only put a technical hold for 90 days or one delivery period.

People are just angry because Tesla hasn't enforced it til now. It causes a huge headache every quarter for those who do logistics and matching. I love how angry people pretend they'll be. Everyone has taken advantage of it, and is now angry over losing $250 and the 8-10K they could've saved just taking delivery. This is on the customer not Tesla. Have fun at a dealership!

I plan on placing my order soon for a summer delivery. Question on where the car will be shipped to. Do you have an option? I live near St. Louis, but with the new Illinois EV Bill the selling dealer must be located in Illinois. I have a dealer 30 minutes away, but it is not in IL. The IL dealer is about 2.5 hours away. Clearly would travel for the rebate, but not sure how the logistics works on their system.

I plan on placing my order soon for a summer delivery. Question on where the car will be shipped to. Do you have an option? I live near St. Louis, but with the new Illinois EV Bill the selling dealer must be located in Illinois. I have a dealer 30 minutes away, but it is not in IL. The IL dealer is about 2.5 hours away. Clearly would travel for the rebate, but not sure how the logistics works on their system.
You could take delivery out of any dealer AFAIK.

Here is a kicker. Tesla focuses local order deliveries to cram every car possible into deliveries before the EOY.

After EOY they put most production on boats for Europe and Asia so they can be delivered before EOQ in 2022.

This means if you do not accept delivery before EOY then you most likely will not see your car till late in March.

Many ordered their cars months ago, and have benefited from several significant price increases over these months. Now they want to double dip by getting both the lower price and the potential Tax Credits.

Tesla wants to take pre orders for their cars. They then source all the parts for production and schedule assembly. They have no interest in storing these built cars until a buyer decides to accept a delivery date most beneficial for them. Would cause chaos when buyers try to extend deliveries past the quarter they are scheduled to take delivery.

This means if you do not accept delivery before EOY then you most likely will not see your car till late in March.
Well said.

I'm mostly in the 'give me 4680, dual cast please !' boat so I'm happy that my expected build date is Q2 2022. If it works out that way, I'll be pleased. If I also get a tax credit, even better. And if I get both and pay the Sept 2021 cost, I'll wonder about Tesla competency and conclude I must be related to Elon.

I feel the entire argument about salary limits misses the forest for the trees. The goal of the legislation is to push EV adoption over ICE cars over a long timeframe. A rebate on EV cars is an effective way of achieving this. Irrespective of income levels, people are going to be incentivized to purchase an EV/PHEV (a nice gateway into a full EV) with such a policy in place. "Affordability" is a rather subjective term.

I'll offer myself as an example. Between my wife and I, we make more than enough to "afford" a Model Y or perhaps even a fancier car. But we drive 10+ year old cars because they work and are paid off and we choose to be more prudent with how we spend our money. There are others around us who probably make half our combined income who own less than 2 year old cars and even more expensive cars like the Model S / X. For them, affordability means something very different. For us, just because we have the money to spend on something, doesn't mean it is automatically affordable and worth spending on. At the end of the day, we're all on this planet this one time and people can choose to spend their money how they please and different people have different tolerance levels for how willingly they are going to part with their hard earned money on something that is more a splurge and less a necessity. The goal of the EV subsidy is to appeal to all of these folks. I'd probably wait several more years before taking the plunge with an EV if it hadn't been for the EV incentives being on the horizon. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person in my situation.

As others have pointed out, the other side of the coin with boosting demand via this incentive is forcing manufacturers to respond with increased supply. The big automakers have been dragging their feet on EVs for a very long time and this will force them to respond. If you reduce the pool of people this subsidy applies to, you minimize the impact on demand and thus the impact you can exert on the supply curve as well.

Personally, I'm fine with the larger limits on income as long as they limit the dollar amount on the MSRP for vehicles eligible for the subsidy. At the end of the day, the M3 and MY are Tesla's entry-level offerings and you need the MSRP limit to capture these high volume EV vehicles from Tesla and other manufacturers so the policy can provide some meaningful long-term benefit.
Exactly this. Affordability is highly variable and the more correct term for what most of us are choosing is prioritization. How we choose to prioritize how we spend our money.

I’m on the side that this should be fair across all incomes and across all EVs.

After EOY they put most production on boats for Europe and Asia so they can be delivered before EOQ in 2022.
With Tesla China and soon Tesla Berlin... I don't think they do that anymore. Europe gets most cars from Shanghai, right? The only ones would be Model S and X to be shipped overseas but are they even producing those?

An EV driven by an affluent person is dirtier than the same EV driven by a less affluent person. Or so I understand from the class welfare folks.
And it always becomes this, they make too much so they don’t deserve a subsidy but I do argument.

Problem is that someone making 30k a year probably scoffs at that person making 300k a year making that same argument.

Here is a kicker. Tesla focuses local order deliveries to cram every car possible into deliveries before the EOY.

Many ordered their cars months ago, and have benefited from several significant price increases over these months. Now they want to double dip by getting both the lower price and the potential Tax Credits.

Tesla wants to take pre orders for their cars. They then source all the parts for production and schedule assembly. They have no interest in storing these built cars until a buyer decides to accept a delivery date most beneficial for them. Would cause chaos when buyers try to extend deliveries past the quarter they are scheduled to take delivery.
Exactly. Some people just don't get this.

Say you live in PA. You want to wait for the tax credit. Your car gets built, you reject it, now they have a car sitting in PA when there are 5-10 people in CA who would gladly take it. Now Tesla loses money or has to let the car sit til someone wants it. Everyone waiting has already been given the option to take a 8K discount. Tesla has already shifted and adjusted their schedule, allocation, and shipment for the quarter based on the forecasted builds.

It also ****s the EDD for all the people that actually want their car so they can drive instead of just getting a tax credit.