Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this doesn't pass by mid-December it is dead. Reconcilliation takes time. It's not just the passage. There are required procedures which have a specified timetable for doing reconciliation. However, the US Govt fiscal year starts in October, so I'm not sure that January is necessarily a fiscal deadline - rather, it's a political one. Everything will be pivoting to the midterms in January and there will be no will for this.
Not sure I agree with this (I agree there is no fixed/procedural timetable, I am referring to the political timetable)

Not passing BBB bill would be seen as a pretty big failure on the parts of the dems, do they really want to go into the 2022 mid-terms without having passed their "signature" legislation? I think they would be just as motivated to pass it in Jan as in this month.

Whether or not they can get manchin and sinema to follow along is another issue but I still think there will be a lot of house and senate members that WANT to get this passed, even in January so they have something to highlight to their constituents going into the fall.

I think November inflation numbers are Dec. 10th. (Rocks prediction 6.5%)
I realize this bill has been heralded as the cure for all things (including inflation), another higher than expected number could end it.
Taking the credit if it happens, but not impressed with some of the bills content and would rather not have it...

Not sure I agree with this (I agree there is no fixed/procedural timetable, I am referring to the political timetable)

Not passing BBB bill would be seen as a pretty big failure on the parts of the dems, do they really want to go into the 2022 mid-terms without having passed their "signature" legislation? I think they would be just as motivated to pass it in Jan as in this month.

Whether or not they can get manchin and sinema to follow along is another issue but I still think there will be a lot of house and senate members that WANT to get this passed, even in January so they have something to highlight to their constituents going into the fall.

The BBB bill is just massive. The EV credits are a tiny part of it (and underestimated by CBO - $55M in the first year, really?)

When Ford, VW, Toyota hit 200K later this year and all credits are phased out for them in 2023... they will all be throwing money at politicians for restoration of the EV tax credit without caps.

Here’s a pretty thorough breakdown of what the House passed. Proposed Changes to the Federal EV Tax Credit Passed by the House of Representatives

No guarantee the Senate doesn’t change it, but this is what is currently on the table.
A good summary of the House proposal... let's see what the Senate Sanity check provides. ;)

11.3.21-Proposed-Changes-House-Dems-to-IRC-30D-table-V4-11.24.21-1024x600.png

Unless you are buying an inventory car, you have no concrete date on when that car will be delivered, just some hand waiving of a future date which is fluid to say the least. Tesla realized that this uncertainty could cause some problems with people suddenly being told of a delivery while on vacation or not having their financing in place for that date, so they can offer up an exception to delay the delivery to accommodate buyers in those situations. But trying to exploit Tesla's good faith gesture and extending delivery beyond these circumstances is not something Tesla has to honor. They might have done that before, does not mean that they have to keep on doing that indefinitely. They are running a business and have to answer to shareholders, it is their responsibility to sell as many cars as fast as they can to increase their profitability and stock price.

You placed an order for car, you signed a contract to do so. Tesla is holding up their end of the deal and the car you agreed to buy is now ready. If the buyer is not willing to accept delivery at that time or beyond the small delay Tesla has allowed to accommodate issues like on vacation or to get financing in place, then they have no obligation to keep on extending that delivery just because the buyer wants to double dip or it is not convenient for them. Sorry, an order was placed and it is now ready. Give me one example of another other vendor who will keep your yet unpaid ordered item around indefinitely waiting for you decide when to pick it up, at the same price it was when you placed that order.

So what if Tesla implemented a third option here.

If you want to delay the order you placed beyond some grace period that Tesla has created to deal with people on vacation or trying to get financing in place, then the price is no longer locked to that original date the contract was effectively signed by the potential buyer and it slides. You get one 30 day extension but that comes with the caveat that you also accept the price 30 days after you placed your order. So if you placed your order just before a price increase, sorry, but now the price has just gone up. You only get one delay, then you forfeit your order, up to Tesla to refund your deposit or not. They fulfilled their end of the deal, the car you ordered is ready. If you are not taking delivery, then you are the one breaking the contract.

I know those trying to double dip on locked in price and potential EV rebates are not going to like it, but they should put themselves in Tesla's shoes. It's okay to expect the price when the order was placed if the seller is unable to deliver product at that time, i.e. not an inventory car. But by any reasonable expectation, once you submit an order for a new car, you want to buy it now. And once that supply bottleneck has been resolved and your ordered car is ready, then they are delivering what you requested. Tesla owes you nothing.
Your logic is flawed... if Tesla can repeatedly slip their delivery dates, then so should the customer. ;)

Correct. There is no hard time table for December. They can absolutely pass the bill next year. The worry is a political one, momentum will be lost after the long holiday break, January is the start of an election year which could cause some moderates to back off, especially manchin who has said they should “slow down” with this bill. It’s possible it could pass this month but it will be tough, they have to negotiate to satisfy manchin and sinema, then they have to make ammendments to anything they parliamentarian shoots down, all this while having a bill that could pass another vote in the house not to mention the GOP will use every trick in the book to make passage as arduous and difficult as possible. And at the same time a CR needs to be passed on Friday or we shut down and the debt ceiling needs to be raised by the 15th. Both of these have to take priority first.
Thanks for the clarification. I kept hearing about the EOY deadline and wasn't sure if it was purely political or if there was anything fiscal driving it as well. Sounds like it's political. One other thing to keep in mind is the child tax credits, those end at the end of the year. There is a strong push to continue those and a lapse (even if it's just a month) would not look good on the Democrats. The incentive to pass before year end is extremely high.

Got my "take off hold by Dec 9th or your order will be cancelled" email today.

Yet my online account still says this...

View attachment 739944

Can't they be legally bound to Dec 31st?
Dont feel bad, I also got mine today. Ordered in May, but didnt even place a hold until Oct as I was waiting and waiting and waiting. I would've absolutely taken delivery in the summer but there were no vehicles. My EDD was Oct/Nov. When this EV credit looked possible, I said "what's 2 more months?" and placed a hold until 12/20.

Being I live in MI and will take delivery in MI, I might be able to stall enough from 12/9 - 1/1/22

Que será, Será.

I got the 12/9 email too. It seems quite apparent in my communications with Tesla that they are in a zero tolerance mode and want to get those Q4 delivery numbers up. I am sure they are also figuring they don't have enough room to store all of these vehicles that folks want to delay delivery on. The BBB plan is looking iffy and I also don't know for sure if I could keep the tax credit if I decide the Y is not for me and I sell the vehicle. So all that being said I decided to hit the "I'm Ready" button. States they are building my car and delivery window of 12/18 to 12/31. If I have to I'll take it I will. If I can get them to hold off til 1st week January I will do that. If I take it in December I could sell it if I don't think it suits my needs and make about $12,000 to $15,000 on it. If I can hold off til January I can still do that plus "maybe" get the tax credit too. I already have a M3 SR+ that I really like so far and have a CyberTruck on order...but don't think I'll see that for a long time!

Thanks for the clarification. I kept hearing about the EOY deadline and wasn't sure if it was purely political or if there was anything fiscal driving it as well. Sounds like it's political. One other thing to keep in mind is the child tax credits, those end at the end of the year. There is a strong push to continue those and a lapse (even if it's just a month) would not look good on the Democrats. The incentive to pass before year end is extremely high.
I am really looking forward to the credit. Unfortunately.....There may be much more to the "political issue"........
WASHINGTON, Oct 30 (Reuters) - The European Union, Germany, Canada, Japan, Mexico, France, South Korea, Italy and other countries wrote U.S. lawmakers saying a proposed U.S. electric vehicle tax credit violates international trade rules, according to a joint letter made public Saturday.

They argue it appears as US protectionism (Only U.S. built vehicles would be eligible for the $12,500 credit after 2027, under a House proposal released this week). Canada and Mexico have issued separate statements in the last week opposing the plan, and it is officially opposed by major international automakers, including Toyota Motor Corp, Volkswagen AG, Daimler AG, Honda Motor Co, Hyundai Motor Co and BMW AG.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I got the 12/9 email too. It seems quite apparent in my communications with Tesla that they are in a zero tolerance mode and want to get those Q4 delivery numbers up. I am sure they are also figuring they don't have enough room to store all of these vehicles that folks want to delay delivery on. The BBB plan is looking iffy and I also don't know for sure if I could keep the tax credit if I decide the Y is not for me and I sell the vehicle. So all that being said I decided to hit the "I'm Ready" button. States they are building my car and delivery window of 12/18 to 12/31. If I have to I'll take it I will. If I can get them to hold off til 1st week January I will do that. If I take it in December I could sell it if I don't think it suits my needs and make about $12,000 to $15,000 on it. If I can hold off til January I can still do that plus "maybe" get the tax credit too. I already have a M3 SR+ that I really like so far and have a CyberTruck on order...but don't think I'll see that for a long time!
As they should be.

Just would be nice if they threw out a bone like free supercharging for those of us with the top model(s) on order.