Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
musk said adapters will added to supercharger sites as well as ones available for purchase, thats not a big deal

The eTron is a 800V car that charges around 125-150 kW consistently (I've seen it personally) at 800V chargers (Electrify America). The CCS1 connector is rated for 1000V but the Tesla connector is rated for 500V due to physical separation of the pins. I'm not convinced adapters at superchargers will solve much. Many EVs like the ID.4 and Mach-E have the port on the wrong side of the car and a few others like Taycans, e-Trons, EV6s will charge slower at 400V.

The eTron is a 800V car that charges around 125-150 kW consistently (I've seen it personally) at 800V chargers (Electrify America). The CCS1 connector is rated for 1000V but the Tesla connector is rated for 500V due to physical separation of the pins. I'm not convinced adapters at superchargers will solve much. Many EVs like the ID.4 and Mach-E have the port on the wrong side of the car and a few others like Taycans, e-Trons, EV6s will charge slower at 400V.
GT is the 800V.
55 is 400V.

So charging may be a little slower or vary for some models, still much better to have all EVs access that big network than not

If EV tax credits get approved and in 2023 those credits are applied at the Point of Sale, how do they validate the income numbers? It seems easier to me to validate that via your taxes.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a requirement that you certify the applicable (latest filed) adjusted gross income on an IRS approved form to get the point of sale discount. Like a 1099, the manufacturer/dealer would have to file it with the IRS, accuracy at your peril. I have to do a similar certification for the NJ Homestead Rebate.

Reactions: Albertsv
Nobody is installing 800 volt chargers that won't charge 400 volt cars, and 800 volt capable cars will charge on 400 volt chargers. Adapters at Superchargers will work just fine, but at 400 volts.

Nobody is installing 800 volt chargers that won't charge 400 volt cars, and 800 volt capable cars will charge on 400 volt chargers. Adapters at Superchargers will work just fine, but at 400 volts.

Correct. Even EV6s can charge at 400V but less than ideal for them. We are solely talking about Superchargers in thread above. Throwing an CCS1 adapter doesn’t entice eTron owners to use the SC network. How many have used EVGo? They have 50 kW chargers with Tesla adapters near me.

GT is the 800V.
55 is 400V.
Q4 55 isn’t even available yet. In fact, it’s been delayed according to an Audi dealer I spoke with. It’s an e-Tron just like the Mach-E is a Mustang.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a requirement that you certify the applicable (latest filed) adjusted gross income on an IRS approved form to get the point of sale discount. Like a 1099, the manufacturer/dealer would have to file it with the IRS, accuracy at your peril. I have to do a similar certification for the NJ Homestead Rebate.
Simpler process would be that you would just share your SSN, and the dealer would advance you the credit and report to IRS. You still need to declare on your tax return and if you are ineligible the money gets added to your taxes owed. Of course someone who knows they are ineligible can refuse the POS rebate.

Note that as it is currently written the AGI limit that matters is the lesser of previous tax year and current tax year. So someone who is ineligible due to income could get into an unfortunate situation where they become eligible post purchase.

Reactions: Albertsv
Correct. Even EV6s can charge at 400V but less than ideal for them. We are solely talking about Superchargers in thread above. Throwing an CCS1 adapter doesn’t entice eTron owners to use the SC network. How many have used EVGo? They have 50 kW chargers with Tesla adapters near me.

Q4 55 isn’t even available yet. In fact, it’s been delayed according to an Audi dealer I spoke with. It’s an e-Tron just like the Mach-E is a Mustang.
etron 55 is the current SUV/sportback

Reactions: voxel
...Note that as it is currently written the AGI limit that matters is the lesser of previous tax year and current tax year. So someone who is ineligible due to income could get into an unfortunate situation where they become eligible post purchase.
If it's administered the way stimulus checks were, as of 2023 it will be based on the latest AGI on file as of the claim date. A later increase should not void the point of sale rebate. However, it appears that the refundable credit in 2022 will be claimed only with the filing of 2022 taxes.

Would it be safe to pickup MYP in mid to late January and still get the rebate? I placed my order a few weeks ago for the LR and it said June and then decided to get the P. It updated the EDD to late March but now it shows January.
Unfortunately nobody knows and nobody can give you a solid answer on that. It's possible the bill passes before then, after then, or not at all. Nothing is finalized yet.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Unfortunately nobody knows and nobody can give you a solid answer on that. It's possible the bill passes before then, after then, or not at all. Nothing is finalized yet.
This is all true. I guess I may put the order on hold and wait till March or April for delivery. Rather not pickup and get stuck with summer tires on the P. I’ve seen recently they are putting Michelin all season tires.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
We know the current bill will cover deliveries after 12/31/21.

We know some previous versions said the later of 1/1/22 or when the bill is signed.

We know the majority of the dissenting voices directed at the EV portion don't impact Tesla. (No $4500 union kicker).

We know there is concern about the cost, which could drive cuts anywhere.

IMO, this bill is a disaster that I hope completely fails. I'm waiting until January just in case it passes, but I'd gladly lose the $8k to see this whole mess go away.

IMO, this bill is a disaster that I hope completely fails. I'm waiting until January just in case it passes, but I'd gladly lose the $8k to see this whole mess go away.
I completely agree with you on this one. I really don’t agree with this entire bill and I hope it doesn't pass...but if it's passed, I would like to take this credit.